Strong Growth in Brisbane

Does that mean the remaining part isn't good? :eek:

I know its a high employment area.

Oops!!! I was trying to find the boundaries of Acacia Ridge yesterday to make sure I had the right suburb. I checked out some of the flooding around Acacia Ridge/Archerfield but can't clearly remember where we drove but the area didn't impress me. The area I'm thinkIng of that is a nice/cheap pocket is Coopers Plains on the border of Sunnybank, around Troughton Road. Hopefully I've got right suburb this time! I still can't seem to find a map with suburb borders.
This area http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-coopers plains-116936035

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Do you all feel that it is too late to buy in Brisbane now? Hearing in many places that the market has moved significantly now and that there are starting to be multiple offers on properties, even in areas away from the CBD? Would you guys put Brisbane about 6 months behind Sydney at this stage?

Hey guys,

Do you all feel that it is too late to buy in Brisbane now? Hearing in many places that the market has moved significantly now and that there are starting to be multiple offers on properties, even in areas away from the CBD? Would you guys put Brisbane about 6 months behind Sydney at this stage?

I think it depends on area. An area I've been following went red hot early 2014 so I gave it a miss send bought elsewhere. Seems to have taken a break so I'm willing to take another look now. Still good value IMO, I think the previous bit was just from running out of stock due to low listings Xmas time.

I have been looking at Brisbane for the last 6 months while we finished a very small development in Sydney and now we are ready to do something in Brisbane but feel that things may have hotted up too much there as well.
Have been looking at Zillmere for small development option? What are general thoughts on this area?

We have just started looking inner ring (south and east) for second son. Went to an open house yesterday prepared to put on a contract. It was already under contract. I have no issues with an agent continuing to hold open houses, because that first contract could crash and they need to continue to sell until it becomes unconditional, but I thought it would have been polite to tell us as we entered that there was a contract. Hubby happened to hear agent tell someone else it was under contract. So annoyed that we were not told...

Half of the houses I'm looking at are under contract. Things seem to be hot in our little search area.

Hey guys,

It does depend on the area.

However generalising a lot, its not too late for brisbane. Most commentators/experts see the growth in brisbane to last for another 3 years or so. The growth is still behind sydney and melbourne.

My observation is that the overall [ broad brushed to brisbane] growth is actually accelerating, and I attribute this to more jobs being created and that too for longer durations, especially permanent or long term contracts. As long as this trend continues [and I dont know why it should not], the pace of growth will also follow suit.

There was a little quiet period in volume either side of the budget, but came back with a bang.

I just hired another solicitor so we now have 7 property solicitors in the firm. I am in final interviews for number 8. I wouldn't be hiring if my confidence in Brisbane was not high.

There was a little quiet period in volume either side of the budget, but came back with a bang.

I just hired another solicitor so we now have 7 property solicitors in the firm. I am in final interviews for number 8. I wouldn't be hiring if my confidence in Brisbane was not high.

Out of interest, which part(s) of Brisbane do you service? North, South, East, West or all of the above?

Out of interest, which part(s) of Brisbane do you service? North, South, East, West or all of the above?

does it matter? as long as Darryl's solicitors are practicing QLD law. I am in Sydney and used Darryl's firm for a Brisbane South purchase recently, and is hassle free experience.

Have been looking at Zillmere for small development option? What are general thoughts on this area?

Like all suburbs there are the better and not so good parts of Zillmere. My IP is in a suburban area (bordering Aspley) where there are no units or townhouses close by. There are other areas where there are a lot of units being developed, most of these are east of the railway station. I'm wondering whether this area is becoming oversaturated with units.

Zillmere should do well in the medium term as it is close to all facilities and near enough to CBD so that you can get there by car in about 25 minutes. As suburbs closer to the CBD become unaffordable, home buyers will start to look at areas such as Zillmere which are just a bit further out.

I only asked because I am slightly confused at the moment. I've been speaking with agents and just settling on a house in Strathpine (20km from CBD), and it seemed that all stock had been on the market for 60 days on average with only 1-2 buyers per home. On the other hand buying in the Logan area (also 20km from CBD), it seems that there are multiple offers on the decent properties and going under contract quite quickly. Then if you go to the inner ring in Brisbane it seems that the market is like Sydney with loads of people at open homes.

I am now focusing attention on the Ipswich area (although flooding and high holding costs depress yield), Beenleigh in hope that the interest has not spread there yet. Would you guys recommend any other areas to look at which have not hotted up yet?

What I noticed is that within the inner ring < 10km from CBD. It was hot, got slightly cold/warm near the election like Darryl said. I was able to pick something up then. My building an pest inspector said he was busy but got cooled down around then.

Since then, all the other properties I was monitoring had gone under contract, which confirms that the market is warming up again.

What I have find interesting is that the conveyances on the 4-6 unit/ townhouse development sites has dried up. But the 30 plus units has gone through the roof. 2 year lead time on that sort of thing as opposed to the 1 year for the 4-6 to be ready to sell.

I only asked because I am slightly confused at the moment. I've been speaking with agents and just settling on a house in Strathpine (20km from CBD), and it seemed that all stock had been on the market for 60 days on average with only 1-2 buyers per home. On the other hand buying in the Logan area (also 20km from CBD), it seems that there are multiple offers on the decent properties and going under contract quite quickly. Then if you go to the inner ring in Brisbane it seems that the market is like Sydney with loads of people at open

You are right about Strathpine being slower than Logan and inner city Brisbane but it will take off as soon as people see it's value. Even though I don't own property in the area, I see the relatively low prices as an opportunity as it has good transport, shopping and schools.

Back