Hong Kong Democracy Protests

We are staying away from areas where protests are occurring.

Public Holiday in HK today and the scheduled sky works over Victoria Bay have been cancelled... boo hoo.... we miss out.

We fly home tomorrow and even though protests are not near where we are staying or airport we have been advised to leave early as not sure what will happen tomorrow, how long it could take to get to the airport.

24 minutes from HK station or 33 mins from Central via Airport Express.
You can check your bags in at Central and rendezvous with them in your airport of arrival.

Thanks
We are staying in Kowloon, and have already organised a driver, it took about 30 minutes to get from airport to Kowloon. Not having any issues in this area, I think we should be OK.

These kids ask for democracy. Yet they don't even know what that means. India has democracy - it's probably a more corrupt country with more nepotism than China.

Most important thing in any country is rule of law, and by blocking major streets and disrupting the city, that's a breach of the rule of law. Who's compensating the poor shopkeeper who can't open his shop now because these people have blockcaded his shop? Is his landlord giving him any relief?

I can understand people doing whatever these kids are doing in impoverished cities like Bangkok and Cairo. In a top 5 global city with first world living standards, clean air, good food, access to all life essentials and consumer items, tertiary education for everybody, and an unemployment rate below 3%? These kids should go work a day in the real world. I think their parents spoil them rotten.

DB
Its not only students that are protesting, today was an official holiday and families with children have joined the protestors.

I can understand why they are protesting.

After Beijing?s promise of universal suffrage for the 2017 election, Hong Kong, which was handed over to China by the British colonial ruler in 1997, had anticipated more democracy. But China dashed such hopes by announcing plans to pre-approve candidates for the election of a chief executive, explains George Chen, financial editor for the South China Morning Post in Hong Kong and a 2014 Yale World Fellow. Occupy Central immediately organized protests, and Chen points out that despite ambivalence about its impact on business the movement sends a signal to Beijing and the Communist Party that individuals will fight to defend core values of democracy including the freedom of the press, speech and assembly.

These kids ask for democracy. Yet they don't even know what that means. India has democracy - it's probably a more corrupt country with more nepotism than China.

Most important thing in any country is rule of law...

These kids should go work a day in the real world. I think their parents spoil them rotten.

I don't believe I'm hearing this - from an Australian?

No taxation without representation!

It's a fundamental human right. If they don't fight for it who will? If I was in their position I sure hope I would have the guts to get out there and fight for it.

Settling for second best is for losers. Being governed by an unelected clique is intolerable to basic human dignity. Just give me food, shelter and freedom.

I can understand Chinese people who don't have the first two would have bigger things to worry about. But I would have hoped anyone who is able to would be out protesting in Hong Kong today if they have ever desired freedom.

As for India, similar mass protests have made some improvement in the treatment of women. Evil flourishes when good people do nothing...

If you don't get it I can only recommend reading 1984 by George Orwell. Best book I have ever read...

It's a fundamental human right. If they don't fight for it who will? If I was in their position I sure hope I would have the guts to get out there and fight for it.

imagine the commies decided to stage violent protests in Australia, because they don't get representation in parliament

would you still support them and go fight for it?

Most important thing in any country is rule of law, and by blocking major streets and disrupting the city, that's a breach of the rule of law. Who's compensating the poor shopkeeper who can't open his shop now because these people have blockcaded his shop? Is his landlord giving him any relief?

I can understand people doing whatever these kids are doing in impoverished cities like Bangkok and Cairo. In a top 5 global city with first world living standards, clean air, good food, access to all life essentials and consumer items, tertiary education for everybody, and an unemployment rate below 3%? These kids should go work a day in the real world. I think their parents spoil them rotten.

Actually a lot of shopkeepers support the protest. They donate food and drink for the protesters and allow them to use the bathrooms. Some of the shopkeepers help the protesters to recharge the mobiles.

Deltaberry, sometimes there is something more important than making money. They want democracy, same as everyone else.

I don't believe I'm hearing this - from an Australian?

No taxation without representation!

Settling for second best is for losers. Being governed by an unelected clique is intolerable to basic human dignity. Just give me food, shelter and freedom.

I can understand Chinese people who don't have the first two would have bigger things to worry about. But I would have hoped anyone who is able to would be out protesting in Hong Kong today if they have ever desired freedom.

As for India, similar mass protests have made some improvement in the treatment of women. Evil flourishes when good people do nothing...

If you don't get it I can only recommend reading 1984 by George Orwell. Best book I have ever read...

What's a fundamental human right? Would you rather be in Jakarta which has a right to vote, or Hong Kong which does not but has first world living standards? Hong Kong is not second best by any means. It is probably the top ranked international city in the entire Asia-Pacific region (yes far eclipsing Sydney).

Of course I've read 1984 and Animal Farm etc.

DB
Its not only students that are protesting, today was an official holiday and families with children have joined the protestors.

I can understand why they are protesting.

I can understand too. Blocking major streets and disrupting the city is not the way to do it. Can you imagine if uni kids blocked off Pitt St, George St etc and basically made the Sydney CBD unfunctionable for weeks because Abbott is cutting Youth Allowance?

Actually a lot of shopkeepers support the protest. They donate food and drink for the protesters and allow them to use the bathrooms. Some of the shopkeepers help the protesters to recharge the mobiles.

Deltaberry, sometimes there is something more important than making money. They want democracy, same as everyone else.

Some support it. Many don't too. I was actually just on a Hong Kong chat forum (largest one in Hong Kong). 58% of the people polled don't support the way the kids have handled the protests. Only 35% do. The rest don't know. Just because we aren't out on the streets holding an anti-protest against these kids doesn't mean they're right.

Providing good quality living is the most important thing for any government, and the HK Government has done that well. Speaking from the perspective of a Hong Kong permanent resident/citizen too mind you.

www.discuss.com.hk

Time to read what the read Hong Kong people are thinking.

Practically the whole HK student generation is protesting. People give up their lives to remove foreign rulers. To them mainland China's appointed government is a foreign ruler.

Attachments

• Gov_People.jpg
    Gov_People.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 53
Back