granny flat rules - NSW

I have been trying to find out where to find out where the legislation or rules are in regards to building granny flats through complying development?

So far the only documents i have are
http://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/deliveringhomes/AffordableRentalHousing/developmentofgrannyflats.aspx

Also looking at the rules for garages and studio
http://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/Port...C_POLICY_3_5_GARAGES_AND_DETACHED_STUDIOS.pdf

Would anyone be able to tell whether i could build a detached granny flat with an attached garage and if even better and attached studio? To top it off, if this possible, would they then be able to have internal access? eg able to enter the garage and studio internally from the granny flat?

I have been trying to find out where to find out where the legislation or rules are in regards to building granny flats through complying development?
The granny flat rules live here: http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/fragview/inforce/epi+364+2009+sch.1+0+N?tocnav=y

Would anyone be able to tell whether i could build a detached granny flat with an attached garage and if even better and attached studio?
To top it off, if this possible, would they then be able to have internal access? eg able to enter the garage and studio internally from the granny flat?

You can build an attached or a detached granny flat, with an attached or a detached garage, although there are no requirements under the legislation to provide car parking for the granny flat.

You can build a studio - but not for habitation if you have built a granny flat. In other words the studio could be a work area but could not be legally let out to someone to live there.

The granny flat legislation is for "secondary dwellings". You cannot have a third dwelling there too.

With the studio i was under the impression that it could be built for habitation but not as a dwelling. it said bedrooms etc were fine but could not design it so an individual could reside in it as a dwelling (my guess no kitchens, maybe bathroom)

Reason i ask is that with a garage and a secondary road access (eg corner block or block that has a rear lane way) could a granny flat be made as a normal house? if a studio with bedrooms (or just a living room could be attached) could this allow in the building realistically be over 60m2 (although the granny flat would only be 60m2)

Granny flat on a corner block is great.
Done right it will look, feel and rent as a smaller 2 bedroom house.

Max size is 60sqm. However you can attach a garage to it. Depending on who you go to, you may or may not be allowed to have an opening from the garage into the house. Each certifier has their own interpretations of the rules.

You will not be able to build a Granny Flat with a studio. This would make it 3 dwellings one site. The max under this rule is 2 - the main house and the granny flat, nothing more.

Thanks for the replies

I was under the impression that the studio would not be considered a dwelling but could be made as an external room.

Any opinion on the following 3 bedroom granny flat. Sorry i havent drawn it out etc but hope you get my description.

From a bird eye point of view imagine 2 columns. One is 3mx10m and the other 4mx7.5m. The first column is the 3 bedroom (1 is 3mx3m while the other 2 are 3mx2.5m each) and the bathroom (3mx2m). The larger bedroom would be located at the front.
The second column would be staggered 2m behind the other one and consist of a large area of 4mx7.5m which will consist of living area + kitchen.

Add a 3x6 garage next to this.

3 bedroom in 60 sqm....just doesn't work.

Even if you manage to make it look good paper.
Everything is just too small for it to work.

Exceptions are if you are building for uni accommodation and don't need a living room.

In your calculations you are NOT factoring in walls (internal and external).
Granny flats measure from the outside of the stud work (if using cladding) or to the outside brick if using brick (or a hebel).

A room that is 2.5m wide is tiny and won't appeal to many. Exception maybe if its a terrace house that is <5km from the CBD where its somewhat acceptable.

Thanks neK

that design i mentioned there i feel would be practical for a family with 2 young children.

What i did not factor there was that the measurement would be from the outside wall and hence now would not be practical

thanks

Is it easy/cheap to acquire corner blocks?
Sounds like a great idea if it works.
But the price of corner blocks may be greater, as people price this in?

It was in answer to a question gach2 had.
Reason i ask is that with a garage and a secondary road access (eg corner block or block that has a rear lane way) could a granny flat be made as a normal house?

Anyway, to answer your question miss green eyes, I have found corner blocks to be more expensive.

Last edited:
Corner blocks which are rectangular in shape and have the current house in position where u can fit a granny flat are very hard to find. Im searching by regions of a city (probably 50%) not by suburbs.

In terms of price depending on the area there can be a big difference in price for a corner block. Looking at new estates there only seems to be a smaller premium.

Talking to my parents they said it wasn't that long ago where corner blocks were cheaper and less desirable.

Back