Hong Kong Democracy Protests

Interesting and surprising public display of patriotism and defiancy unfolding at the moment.

Hong Kong has changed very dramatically since 97 and anti-mainlander sentiment has been increasing ever since to an evident boiling point.

As a Cantonese person, I definitely understand the sentiments of the Hong Kong people and the growing intolerance of being under China rule. On the ground, there is a lot of dare I say hate, towards the influx of rude, egoistic mainland Chinese driving up the cost of living and putting an increasing burden on government resources (particularly healthcare). There is also a feeling of helplessness as it seems inevitable the relatively small city will sooner or later be engulfed by the largest economic power in the world and nobody will be there to defend us.

History suggests that significant bloodshed usually occurs before any major government change...is this the beginning of where Hong Kong is heading? I'm booked to go to Hong Kong mid October - will definitely keep a close eye on unfolding events.

I am currently holidaying in HK, staying in the Kowloon district, business as usual here. Not sure how this is going to pan out though

Watched it on the new last night and thought - it was a given that China would eventually absorb Hong Kong. On the cards ever since the British left ... as sad as that is

It has been an interesting turn of events. The average Hong Konger is quite capitalistic and comfortable materially. Not militant and not the type to engage in conflict. I am proud that they have taken to the streets at risk to life and limb to stand up for their beliefs.

As it is HK I think China (main land) will take a far more cautious approach on how they deal with the protestors.

Last edited:
We where in Hong Kong in July for a week beginning of July and again for another 5 days in August on our return from Europe this year. Its a beautiful place, the people are so nice and polite and everywhere is so clean. I don't blame the young Hong Kong adults standing up and defending what will be their future. Hopefully being a public holiday they will get more support from the older generation too tomorrow.
It is certainly going to be interesting. They get a lot of Chinese tourist there now and they are definitely nowhere near as polite as the Hong Kong people are.

Hope it all gets sorted out without any arrests or anyone getting hurt from what I have seen on TV it is a very peaceful demonstration which I am not surprised about as they are such lovely people.

Love Hong Kong lets hope it never changes nor the people that make it what it is.

As it is HK I think China (main land) will take a far more cautious approach on how they deal with the protestors.

I think the world thought the same thing 25 years ago before they cleaned up shop in the certain square in Beijing...

Ha I'm bit paranoid since I happen to be posting this from mainland China right now.

I think the world thought the same thing 25 years ago before they cleaned up shop in the certain square in Beijing...

Ha I'm bit paranoid since I happen to be posting this from mainland China right now.

That explains why you couldn't say Tiananmen!

Googling that massacre from within China is an interesting exercise...

This sort of thing gives me hope in the human spirit. These people are taking real risks to defend their future. Compared to the level of disengagement in Australian politics it really puts us to shame.

"No taxation without representation!"

I guess that basic principle is as strong today as it ever was... I wish the protesters well and I can only hope this level of enthusiasm spreads to mainland China. It would likely make the world a safer place.

But I don't hold out much hope on that. A lot of mainland Chinese people I know still think the CCP knows best... I should probably send them a copy of 1984. That novel should be compulsory reading!

It's going to be interesting to see how they go in shepherding the mass of people in the streets already,this may be something more powerfull then people think..

We where in Hong Kong in July for a week beginning of July and again for another 5 days in August on our return from Europe this year. Its a beautiful place, the people are so nice and polite and everywhere is so clean. .

Hong Kong is many things but definitely not clean. The sky is brown on a good day and pollution levels are high. People wear masks to walk around. The streets and gutters are pretty filthy. Subway floors and walls are grimy and have graffiti and bubble gum. If you want clean, try Singapore

It's going to be interesting to see how they go in shepherding the mass of people in the streets already,this may be something more powerfull then people think..

Think Syria, Ukraine, Lybia
This is how it's gonna go unless the protests are dispersed quickly.

Think Syria, Ukraine, Lybia
This is how it's gonna go unless the protests are dispersed quickly.

Totally different government systems, culture and history. More valid comparison will be North Korea and Russia where uprisings and political dissent gets crushed. Doubt this will go anywhere major, heads will roll and there will be "peace" again.

Hong Kong is many things but definitely not clean. The sky is brown on a good day and pollution levels are high. People wear masks to walk around. The streets and gutters are pretty filthy. Subway floors and walls are grimy and have graffiti and bubble gum. If you want clean, try Singapore

Sorry to disagree China
Yes there is pollution no doubt about that
But the subways and streets where clean they even had people cleaning the escalators in the stations and the floors at all hours of the day and night. Ne graffiti Not in any that we used and we used public transport everyday we where there.
The skies where blue not brown in the 12 days we where there we had one day that rained and it was only for a few hours at that.
When was the last time you where there ?

Hong Kong is many things but definibecausetely not clean. The sky is brown on a good day and pollution levels are high. People wear masks to walk around. The streets and gutters are pretty filthy. Subway floors and walls are grimy and have graffiti and bubble gum. If you want clean, try Singapore

HK is very clean. The reason some people wear masks is because they have a cold and don't want others to catch it. Pollution is not too bad, much better than a lot of American and European cities. Streets and gutters are very clean because they employ a lot of people as cleaners and there's a lot of recycling that gets done.

I got some tear gas in my eyes protesting for universal suffrage but it was worth it. I'll go back again today because we've got a public holiday here so it should be a good turnout. Look out for me on the news !!

Yeah I cant speak for the New Territories, but Central to Causeway Bay is as clean as you could possibly hope, TST and Kowloon Bay likewise...I've been 3 times this year already. The MTR puts to the cleanliness of Oz public transport to complete shame (which it deserves). PS. Good for you Nomadic.

Back