How long did it take you to save for your first property?

I was saving for buffer and decided to take some for IP, so not sure how long... But considering the total deposit and my salary back then, I think it took about 18-24 months and 95% loan.

Either 27 years or no time, depending on how you see it.
I've always been a saver and bought my first IP at age 27. I didn't actively save for a deposit at any point.

I religiously saved about half of my pay when I got my first real job, at age 18. Life happened and two years later there was a property boom and houses were increasing $1000 a week. I bought a little two bedroom house on impulse with the cash I had saved for a holiday at the Barrier Reef. I had just paid for a decent car, maybe about $15K in today's money.

In 2 years we saved for a wedding, 5 week honeymoon in Europe and our first house. We did the first 2 on a fairly tight budget.

The house had a 60 day settlement and we were a few grand short so we saved every penny. My grandmother got sick and instead of sending her flowers we decided fuel was cheaper so we got in the car and raided the botanic gardens on the way.

Not long once we put out mind to it- only about 6 months I think. It was following a trip down to Melbourne and seeing how cheap the blocks of land were and also existing properties. I crunched some numbers and thought yep, we can do this. The hard part was talking my husband around (and living with my family for 12 months while our house was being built).

http://www.news.com.au/finance/busi.../story-e6frfkur-1227069546046?from=public_rss

This story suggests that 1/4 of today's first home buyers too, 5 years to save for their first home. Way back in the mid eighties...it took my then hubby and I around that (we did have 2 babies in that time)

How long did it take you to save for your first property?

About three hours I put $500.00 on a horse in 1983 called Kiwi,in the Melbourne-Cup,the odds started at 10-1 but the oncourse bookmakers
were offering 8-1 ,,bought my first acreage out the back of the GoldCoast a few days later,,my mate put $400.00 on the same horse went to Bali for three months and came back with gonorrhea and hepatitis and 20cents in his back pocket..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9toD_R6t1pI

It took me a while, even while living at home and working pretty hard - i'm not the best saver.

I saved from 17-22, on a reasonable income for that age bracket, living at home while studying.

Scrapped enough for my first IP a couple years ago. Left no buffer after i purchased - it was H&L package and i just met the repayments during construction period. Made it work somehow, i remember being very relieved when the first rental payment hit my account.

Been much easier since, the boom playing a large role in building a portfolio.

6 months. 10% of my gross income put away manually as a cash deposit at the branch each week. Initially it was unallocated savings, once I got the go ahead on a loan approval I made accelerated savings payments.

I started saving from a very young age, probably started at around 13
I remember when I was 16 and I had over 2k in my bank account, I felt RICH!
I purchased my first PPOR at age 23 though, after 3 months of having a real job

So, 10 years?? but during this time, only 3 months of full time employment, but I managed to complete my degree and also travelled across many seas

I think it was about 6mths. I was 22 and I needed about $5k for my $120k house and land package :cool: (hello 1997)

I used builder rebates plus my $5k to get max LVR loan. I didn't meet serviceability for the loan even though my intention was to rent it out so I had to sell car to pay off car loan and take credit card down to a $500 limit.

I was on about $30k pa at the time and I went frugal to save $1000/mth to do it.

In the end if you want it bad enough you make it happen. My car loan got in the way so byebye car.

About 6 months and this was 2yrs ago. Since then, bought 2 more properties in inner city Brisbane while having yearly overseas holidays. I don't get what all the complaining in the media is all about.

I started saving the moment I got my first full time job out if Uni aged 20 and so had a $65k deposit at the time I bought my first PPOR at age 27 (in 2006), thanks in big part to mum and dad who never charged me board to stay at home with them untill 26yo

7yrs of serious saving!

Took owning the PPOR for 5yrs with a DIY renovation, some market capital growth and paying down some principle to generate enough equity for hubby and I to feel ready/confident to buy a IP.

Not fast, not easy, no get rich quick scheme here, just hard work, sacrifice, dedication and time.

I didn't specifically aim to save for my first property, I was just saving in general. First two properties were purchased without deposit (family guarantor) although I had the deposit available. First time I used some of my savings was for IP #3.

Wasn't saving specifically for a house as I lived overseas but bought my PPOR at age 26 with 50% deposit and even then I thought my mortgage was big! Had been working for 5 years at that stage.

Back