architect or draftsperson?

Interesting thred

I could not help but put my 2 cents in on this one. I guess I am both a draftsman and Architect. Studied drafting then did architecture and subsequently registered.

For your fairly standard residential project a drafty/ building designer with good experience will often be very capable and give what you need and expect from them. So in the general context of this forum, a good drafty is probably up to the job.

What is often over looked within Architects fee is that not only do you get the the design experience, but much of this is project management. Only a very small amount of what we do is design (unfortunately). Much of the time is spent either resolving the technical detail, coordinating other consultants, dealing with council planners. If you have tricky planning issues or other complexities that have knock on effects to the design you would be well advised to seek out an experienced local architect. They should be there to hold your hand through this whole process, responsibility never end with just the hand over of drawings.

I guess at the end of the day it comes down to what level of refinement you want for the project. If it is your dream house, you probably want thought given to every detail. Like the size, shape and colour of the the bathroom tiles to the waterproofing of the roof that maybe an odd shape to achieve the maximise solar access throughout the winter on a difficult site... etc. It is amazing how complex the "simple" house gets. On the flip side, if you want to achieve a low cost job for an investment property that you don't intend to hold and you can give the builder scope to fill in the blanks in the design, than you will probably get good value from a drafty.

Hope this helps. :D

Thanks David K for your input.

We have seen an architect who has run through the numbers for townhouses vs apartments across the 2 blocks (1400sqm odd), and we are now leaning more toward building apartements. At first I was thinking its not really right for the area, but there are neighboring suburbs that have them and do sell very well there. The area the property is in has several cafe's that are always packed and is very convenient to shops.

We have engaged a building designer that works closely with architects and has done several apartment developments in the area, so Im feeling good about it right now, although it is only early days! Have asked the designers for the details/plans and addresses of the apartment builds they have already done, so we can get an idea of how their quality is and some ideas for how we would like ours.

There is another forum member that did an apartment development, but I can't remember who that is, would someone please post a link to their development thread if they can?

Thanks and will keep you posted as things move along :)

I could not help but put my 2 cents in on this one. I guess I am both a draftsman and Architect. Studied drafting then did architecture and subsequently registered.

For your fairly standard residential project a drafty/ building designer with good experience will often be very capable and give what you need and expect from them. So in the general context of this forum, a good drafty is probably up to the job.

What is often over looked within Architects fee is that not only do you get the the design experience, but much of this is project management. Only a very small amount of what we do is design (unfortunately). Much of the time is spent either resolving the technical detail, coordinating other consultants, dealing with council planners. If you have tricky planning issues or other complexities that have knock on effects to the design you would be well advised to seek out an experienced local architect. They should be there to hold your hand through this whole process, responsibility never end with just the hand over of drawings.

I guess at the end of the day it comes down to what level of refinement you want for the project. If it is your dream house, you probably want thought given to every detail. Like the size, shape and colour of the the bathroom tiles to the waterproofing of the roof that maybe an odd shape to achieve the maximise solar access throughout the winter on a difficult site... etc. It is amazing how complex the "simple" house gets. On the flip side, if you want to achieve a low cost job for an investment property that you don't intend to hold and you can give the builder scope to fill in the blanks in the design, than you will probably get good value from a drafty.

Hope this helps. :D

good advice there - you'd be a mug to ignore this.

however, the last bit - most drafties/designers are suited to this, the HIA require most people designing houses to be across this with GreenSmart etc.

people should also remember that a lot of builders don't want to be micromanaged by an architect.

changes to plans = delays = profit erosion.

changes on site = costs.

food for thought.

Thanks David K for your input.

We have seen an architect who has run through the numbers for townhouses vs apartments across the 2 blocks (1400sqm odd), and we are now leaning more toward building apartements. At first I was thinking its not really right for the area, but there are neighboring suburbs that have them and do sell very well there. The area the property is in has several cafe's that are always packed and is very convenient to shops.

We have engaged a building designer that works closely with architects and has done several apartment developments in the area, so Im feeling good about it right now, although it is only early days! Have asked the designers for the details/plans and addresses of the apartment builds they have already done, so we can get an idea of how their quality is and some ideas for how we would like ours.

There is another forum member that did an apartment development, but I can't remember who that is, would someone please post a link to their development thread if they can?

Thanks and will keep you posted as things move along :)

This one ?

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53207&highlight=mona+vale

If you have complex town planning matters, don't go to an architect.

Go to a town planner ;)

Big agree!

And splitting the design to an architect and plans to a draftee is recipe for disaster. DOnt do that. Each will blame the other for either poor design and cost blowouts.

Peter 14.7

Big agree!

And splitting the design to an architect and plans to a draftee is recipe for disaster. DOnt do that. Each will blame the other for either poor design and cost blowouts.

Peter 14.7

Definitely agree with this. I made the point about town planners further up the page. The vast majority of our clients use town planners over architects and drafties.

Why you may ask? The full comprehensive service, liaising with council, organizing all your permits etc. Also many planners have in-house building designers so you essentially have the one-stop shop. Trust me here but using the council duty planners has and will always be a nightmare. I wouldn't recommend that route of action to anyone.

Cheers,

I'll never forget watching a Grand Designs Australia episode where the architect talked the client into this "you beaut", wonderfully designed, origami looking, folded roof structure.

Only problem - the roof cost the client $100k more than a normal flat roof, and it wasn't visible unless you were up a crane.

There is design and there is practicality. Architects are great for the first, and drafties for the second in my experience.

There is design and there is practicality. Architects are great for the first, and drafties for the second in my experience.

I disagree re design because as design works and meets the spec including budget.

I have worked as both and worked with both and managed both and seen cost blow outs time and time again with Architects. Some Architect could not build a dog house which means they have no idea of how to make something work. Drafties more commonly now called Building Designers do 85% of the work in Aus and there is reason for that and it is not price. Unless you are design a commercial icon then Building Designers should meet the bill.

It is a little known fact that the great European Modernist Homes of the 20th Century with flat roofs actually leaked and the owners successfully sued for damages.

That is not good design.

Peter

That's why I said "in my experience" ... as for the flat roofs - maybe I should have said roofs that slope from side to side, rather than pitched.

Back