2nd Storey with Master Wall

hi all

I was talking to a builder yesterday and he is using more and more of the Master Wall system i.e. the non traditional brick wall for the 2nd storey.

Has any one used this system before and what are your thoughts on this?

I've been thinking aboit it lately but I haven't seen it in the flesh. Seems to be quite a good alternative with good R ratings from my googling. I plan to look more into it in January.

masterwall

We use that system at work but I can just give my opinion on their installation.

We build GF and 2nd storey PODS (all steel frame) which are all cladded with Masterwall.
The guys are very quick and the end finish looks great. Apparently it has great insulation values to the point where some buildings dont need batts in the walls!

Can find more tech info if you guys want

I agree with samoanson. I just picked up a contract doing frames. There is 150 homes that will be built in one estate in sydney and they use this product for the external wall cladding so I think I will be doing it in the new year when we return for work.

I know metricon homes use it on a lot of homes in Sydney so it mustn't be too bad if they continue using it.

We use that system at work but I can just give my opinion on their installation.

We build GF and 2nd storey PODS (all steel frame) which are all cladded with Masterwall.
The guys are very quick and the end finish looks great. Apparently it has great insulation values to the point where some buildings dont need batts in the walls!

Can find more tech info if you guys want

SamoanSon,

you with 101 ?

How well does it hold up against a cricket ball? LOL!!!

Hey neK. I gotta laugh coz Ive had this discussion so many times. :)
Brick walls vs framed walls
steel frame vs double brick
colourbond roof vs tile roof
masterwall vs brick walls

Some people think if you tap on the walls & its hollow, then its no good. Well I say "then dont tap on the walls "

Masterwall isnt as strong as brick but it is STRONG ENOUGH for its intended purpose.

You cant write-off the system coz it may get a dent in it from a cricket ball. Its like not putting in windows as they might get smashed from another wayward cricket ball.

It's architectural polystyrene foam which is very hard - it's not like postal packing stuff :)

hehe this is actually what I had in my mind.... When some says polystrene foam, I immediately think of the packing stuff that I snap to fit into my bin. I had a feeling it wasn't the case, but its hard to shake the image when that's all you've ever seen :D

Thanks for additional info. I think it might be worth looking at. Anyone know how this works for a granny flat in NSW?

I've used cladding in the past only because it maximises the limited 60sqm (as opposed to brick/hebel where you lose approx 5sqm). Is this treated the same as other cladding where the 60sqm is measured to the frame?

My sister has previously built a couple two story homes with Masterwall upper walls, so I have seen external and internal finishes. Good chance we will be be using it in our West Leederville project, due to materials cost decreased incl less scaffolding (as our site is very thin, 10m wide), less time to put up than double brick and better insulation properties than double brick. Major con, as others in the West have suggested, is the 'wall knock' effect.

One piece of advice in relation to putting batts in the wall, dont just focus on the R rating you are trying to acheive, the batts themselves add extra mass to the wall, helping with noise transference through the wall. House number 1 built had thinner masterwall panels and batts, street noise was noticeably quieter than House number 2 that had thick masterwall panels but no batts, both walls quoted as same (near enough) R rating. Its a subjective observation, but I know for a relatively minimal extra cost I'll be adding batts into my walls, regardless of the masterwall panel thickness.

So why not use it for houses not just g/flats or upper walls?? Just curious if it looks good, cost effective and takes less time why not???

By the way I know nothing about this product, but all the above mentioned got my attention:)

My sister has previously built a couple two story homes with Masterwall upper walls, so I have seen external and internal finishes. Good chance we will be be using it in our West Leederville project, due to materials cost decreased incl less scaffolding (as our site is very thin, 10m wide), less time to put up than double brick and better insulation properties than double brick. Major con, as others in the West have suggested, is the 'wall knock' effect.

One piece of advice in relation to putting batts in the wall, dont just focus on the R rating you are trying to acheive, the batts themselves add extra mass to the wall, helping with noise transference through the wall. House number 1 built had thinner masterwall panels and batts, street noise was noticeably quieter than House number 2 that had thick masterwall panels but no batts, both walls quoted as same (near enough) R rating. Its a subjective observation, but I know for a relatively minimal extra cost I'll be adding batts into my walls, regardless of the masterwall panel thickness.

I spoke to a builder as mentioned in my thread who builds the 2nd storey FIRST; that's right he builds the 2nd level first on site then lifts the building to build underneath. No scaffolding and no working at heights. savings is huge.

Last edited:
So why not use it for houses not just g/flats or upper walls?? Just curious if it looks good, cost effective and takes less time why not???

By the way I know nothing about this product, but all the above mentioned got my attention:)

It is certainly possible. It's just getting Perth brick addicts on board :)

There is some extra structural elements you need if you are putting it in a multi storey development but it is possible. You can also use it with brick internal leaf and Masterwall outer so that people can get that nice solid knock :) Or just have framed innerwalls like other states and Masterwall outer.

It is certainly possible. It's just getting Perth brick addicts on board :)

There is some extra structural elements you need if you are putting it in a multi storey development but it is possible. You can also use it with brick internal leaf and Masterwall outer so that people can get that nice solid knock :) Or just have framed innerwalls like other states and Masterwall outer.

Interesting, we are roughly paying $1100-1200 sqm for single, wonder what this would cost?? If you were not looking at selling the properties and it was purely to improve cash flow this could work well.

I think it would work well if you were holding the property and not selling. Like WM said we WA people love our double bricks.

Would the masterwall cladding me durable enough for a house to be rented?

Back