Where to stay halfway between GC & Sydney

Hi people

Can anyone recommend a nice place to stay halfway between the Gold Coast and Sydney. We are going to Sydney in the New Year and staying at Emerald Beach Holiday Park for 4 days on our way down. Any recommendations for somewhere to stay on the way back up. Holiday parks would be OK, as we have kiddies.

Cheers
QueenBee

We travel between Sydney and Brisbane by road each December as part of hubby's work commitments.

As Urban Cowboy said, we have found South West Rocks and always have a night there. There are quite a few old-fashioned unit blocks right near the beach and surf club where you can get a unit for around $80 a night.

Yamba is a favourite, but does not meet the "half way" requirement.

Black Head at Halliday's Point is another hidden gem, it is just north of Forster and Tuncurry.
Marg

Nambucca Heads is also a nice spot.
Do the walk along the rocks near the beach there , "nice" graffiti on the rocks - and you might spot a dolphin.

If we're taking the dog we usually stay at Ned's Bed horsotel. A bit past Kempsey but before Macksville. Four cabins with dog friendly yards and horse paddock as well (fascinates our dog). Absolutely brilliant.

Why not do the inland route?

Not much further, maybe only 50 k's if taking the New England highway. Stay at Tamworth or Armidale. That would be about half way. I find the inland track much more interesting, as there is farms and cattle and sheep and dairys and vinyards to look at, but going the coastal road, the road bypasses most of the coast, and all you see is scrub. And you could pull in at a vineyard in the Hunter, there are hundreds, or even one on the northern tablelands where the industry is just starting?

Or do half/half..?? Some of the roads crossing over the range from the coast to the inland are really spectacular. Really winding, with waterfalls and rainforest and big rivers and stuff. Going from Dorrigo to Armidale is great, or Port Macquarie to Walcha, or Gloucester to Scone is too. But this would add a lot of k's and time to the trip.

See ya's.

yeah Nambucca is beautiful...I used to go there all the time - you can sort of see it from south west rocks too!! especially from up near the lighthouse.

some of that graffiti is mine too!:D

I love Lake Cathie too - but it's hardly half way...only a couple of hours from Sydney.

I always use Sally's Riverside Motel in Karuah in my Melb-GC drives. Nice little bypassed town off the hwy(quiet).

I pay about $55/night travelling solo (the family go by plane). She sometime puts me in a family room, which has bunks also. Family rooms are only about $20 more if there are 4 of you. Great little motel for a stop over, or even for a few days.

It's not the halfway point though.

There's a few little take aways and an RSL there for dinner too.

Geeze urban...how many times have you been booked speeding...???:D

exaggeration for effect:p

but being on the southern side of Port Mac - it makes the Port to GC a long stint. It used to take me about 6 hours to drive SWR to Burleigh Heads...admittedly in the bad old days of the Pac hwy, but from lake cathie you would add an hour and a half!!??

still a beautiful place though!

Back