Painting exterior timber windows - oil or water base paint?

Hi All

About to re-paint exterior timber windows after a job of all the prep work in scrapping and filling and sanding and dust etc etc. So I am at the easy stage, painting, well, so I thought.

Well it seems every person i have had over wants to give their 3 cents about the type of paint I should use, and I am getting 2 schools of thought. Either its the gloss in dulux weathershied or dulux super enamel. One is water base, one is oil base. Thoughts on the best paint for exterior timber windows?

thanks

Hi All

About to re-paint exterior timber windows after a job of all the prep work in scrapping and filling and sanding and dust etc etc. So I am at the easy stage, painting, well, so I thought.

Well it seems every person i have had over wants to give their 3 cents about the type of paint I should use, and I am getting 2 schools of thought. Either its the gloss in dulux weathershied or dulux super enamel. One is water base, one is oil base. Thoughts on the best paint for exterior timber windows?

thanks

Water based, Water based,Water based,Water based,Water based,Water based,Water based,Water based,Water based,Water based,Water based,

Did i mention Water based!!!!!!!!

No need to use oil based these days. The Dulux Weathershield Gloss is the best, light sand between coats :D

GG

I asked that question early this year when doing something similar and didn't get any clear responses as to which one is superior, although the recommendation was water based. I however went for oil based. I wanted a high gloss level and I still think oil based paints that I used, had a higher gloss level.

The one comment that I thought was interesting was that the oil based finish was harder and less flexible and could potentially crack over time of course in comparison to water based paints. Now how true that is, I don't know.

Practically, water based paints is a far easier clean-up process however.

I asked that question early this year when doing something similar and didn't get any clear responses as to which one is superior, although the recommendation was water based. I however went for oil based. I wanted a high gloss level and I still think oil based paints that I used, had a higher gloss level.

The one comment that I thought was interesting was that the oil based finish was harder and less flexible and could potentially crack over time of course in comparison to water based paints. Now how true that is, I don't know.

Practically, water based paints is a far easier clean-up process however.

Very true Buzz,

Oils are very hard, that is why they are good for archs and trims inside. But water based "enamel" technology is getting better and better. In another 10 years time, you won't be able to get oil based paints

GG

I don't like gloss effect but always use an oil based primer for any
woodwork out side or window sills which get the sun.

You can get some reasonably priced pink primer these days from bunnings.
You will get such a great finish using oil primer you will not want to paint over it.

I have spent quite a few years restoring older buildings and have done many,many hundreds of the windows you speak of.
In some old queenslanders there are up to 75 actual separate windows around the verandahs.

There are as you say two thoughts on this.

One acrylic,Dulux Weathershield is fine however has a problem when two acrylic surfaces are places together causing what we call cohesion.

The benefits of acrylic is it will stretch in the weather,easy to apply,last for 10 years and over ,If you paint the windows in acrylic,make sure you paint the areas that touch each other in enamel."This is what I recommend."

If you use an oil based paint,you need to put an oil based undercoat on it then apply two coats of oil base gloss on.

Make sure you leave each coat to dry for 12 hours between coats,

extreme cold weather, winter <-20[sup]o[/sup]C, acrylic,
oils get repainted yearly after winter, acrylic gets repainted every 10-15

environmental considerations, acrylic much less toxic

ease, acrylic- brush roller foam-pad power-spray,
dry time acrylic 2hrs, dry to no cohesion(new word for me, plan to overuse it as much as poss) 48hours,
oils 12hrs, dry to no cohesion in weeks or months

not sure about temperatures > 30[sup]o[/sup]C, Im victorian & canadian, in qld nWA NT thermal reactions could stick the acrylic together

Back