Power lines running over property

Hi All,

Just wondering how much power lines running over a property devalues it. I am looking a potential development block in Perth at the moment, but power lines run right over it on the street, and it is quite visible.

Should i stay away?

If you can buy it cheaply enough to factor in significant downtime where the property is unsold or untenanted then it's worth looking into imo.

People do tend to shy away from power-lines but there are plenty of others who are will to live in homes many wouldn't - ie on a main road, backing onto train tracks, near a power station, power-lines etc. These properties do sell/rent. Eventually! It's just whether you've got the buffer in there to take the risk.

Hi Tamanho,

No question that overhead powerlines can devalue a property but also limit your pool as well.

Maybe a EMF paint/shield is an option.

If you can get it cheap,way up the pro and cons.

Cheers Spades.

We were once looking at a property under some power lines, it was asking 2/3 the price of other comparable.

My wife said a flat no. There was no price at which she'd be interested.

Whilst this may not be the best investment decision, it does illustrate that there's probably a large pool of people who will never consider this type of purchase under any circumstances, even if they're not going to live there.

That's right PT

Considered secondary location.
I would buy properties that are on main roads, opposite public facility ie schools etc. but not power lines.

The major/massive power lines are a "no go" for me.

I believe banks will also reduce value on these properties not sure of the %, many also fear that these can cause cancer, no proof of this, however its not good. I expect harder to sell and harder to rent.

MTR

Thanks for the comments guys. Power lines are definitely something to look out for when factoring in the final price.

Just to update on this particular block. It was in an R40 zone and over 1000sqm, so it seemed to me as though 4 villas could potentially fit (and it was priced this way), but the block is a slight irregular shape at the back, so now i think only 3 will fit.

Plus with the power lines running above, I'll definitely be staying away from this one!

We were once looking at a property under some power lines, it was asking 2/3 the price of other comparable.

My wife said a flat no. There was no price at which she'd be interested.

Whilst this may not be the best investment decision, it does illustrate that there's probably a large pool of people who will never consider this type of purchase under any circumstances, even if they're not going to live there.

When you said "Power line running over property", does it also mean the property is close (within 2 km) from the Powerline?

Thanks.

Rabidz,

Not sure what PT bear meant, but In my original post I just meant that the line is running over the frontage of the property. Unfortunately probably about 30% of houses that I've seen in aus have this problem..

It just doesn't look as nice in my opinion, and definitely detracts from the aesthetics of he building

Don't touch properties near power lines, I've definitely learnt my lesson with this one, trying to sell the property now and having issues. In a hot market where you think it will sell most buyers are getting turned off. Which I knew that earlier :(

Back