Structuring new loans

Hi there,

I am looking to see if there is anyone similar to my position to see how you would structure your loans.

I had just purchased a PPOR (3rd property) and will eventually have 2 investment properties, 1 to each individual name on title and loan. The new purchase is in joint name.

The bank said the 2 individual name titled/loaned properties will need the loan to be changed to joint name. I am wondering if tax deduction would be halved as a result? How would you structure if it was you?

Thanks

You'll find lending will be much easier going forwards if you and your partner are both on the loans of the future IPs. You can still have the properties in individual names.

Whilst the names on a loan document can create some doubt, in most cases the tax implications (both positive and negative geared) are based on ownership.

I'm not a tax person but would suggest that in almost all cases where personal name lending is involved, the tax allocation is based on who owns the asset and the purpose of the loan, rather than the names on the loan per we.

Ta

Rolf

As spouses joint names on loans is fine and is probably going to be recommended for most couples to take care of servicing.

Hi there,

I am looking to see if there is anyone similar to my position to see how you would structure your loans.

I had just purchased a PPOR (3rd property) and will eventually have 2 investment properties, 1 to each individual name on title and loan. The new purchase is in joint name.

The bank said the 2 individual name titled/loaned properties will need the loan to be changed to joint name. I am wondering if tax deduction would be halved as a result? How would you structure if it was you?

Thanks

Don't take structuring advice from some knob at a bank! Why would you want to double your risk by both being on loans when it is not needed. This will also effect future serviceability.

sounds like you may be cross collateralising as well.

I'd run very far away from whoever set that up for you.

Don't take structuring advice from some knob at a bank! Why would you want to double your risk by both being on loans when it is not needed. This will also effect future serviceability.

sounds like you may be cross collateralising as well.

I am renewing the interest only period at the same time on our individual loans. I am getting the same advice from nab and cba.

I am getting the same advice from nab and cba.

Almost diamtrecially opposed lenders as far as serviceability models go assuming you have or want to build a larger portfolio.

Each of those lenders has their place and time, rarely at the same time though.

Assuming you are looking to build a "large" portfolio, id suggest you do some morework around what lenders to use why and when, or get a broker that knows that stuff to help you.

ta
rolf

I am renewing the interest only period at the same time on our individual loans. I am getting the same advice from nab and cba.

Is this advice? Banks will try to protect their own interests and they do this by tying people up as much as possible in terms of personal liability and security. seek non lender advice.

Back