Staking out your home open

My ip that I am selling will be open on the weekend.

I plan to stake it out. I'll park up the street try to remain inconspicuous & relatively hidden. I'll be curious how many people walk through the home open.

Anyone else do this? :)

I plan to stake it out. I'll park up the street try to remain inconspicuous & relatively hidden. I'll be curious how many people walk through the home open.

Can't say ive ever been that crazy.

Last edited:
1. are you a little bit insane with too much spare time on your hands?
2. what will staking out your open achieve?

Surely the agent can tell you how many went through?

The best thing that can come of this is you'll tie yourself in a knot over the whole thing. The worst thing is that potential buyers might recognize you and be put off.

Instead take the dog for a long walk, have a nice breakfast at a cafe, catch up with some friends, anything else!

Agree with Pete.

You're paying an agent to do the work for you. They'll fill you in on the details - you enjoy your weekend.

Cheers

Jamie

I have done this, but only once. Anxiety makes one do so I reckon :D You won't gain anything other than whether your agent is exaggerating the number of people visited.

Last edited:

Not crazy at all. I compare my observations with what the agent tells me after in the de briefing.

Think of it as an integrity test of sorts.

I did it for our recent sale. We had a lot of people going through, and I was keen to see how many went through ours plus another for sale in the street. I did it out of interest, not out of paranoia :).

I made sure I was parked more than ten houses away, in the next block, and quite enjoyed myself.

we did stake out the house that we bought as a downsizer mid last year ,

wanted to know how much competition there was . Not much ... :D

Cliff

we did stake out the house that we bought as a downsizer mid last year ,

wanted to know how much competition there was . Not much ... :D

Cliff

Oh, when buying, once I mark a property to buy, I stay around each and every home open and find out who and how many are offering.

But I stay away from the REA while other viewers are talking and when I am near the agent have a general conversation about investing. Works fine.

I've found the best way to stake out your property is to sell it yourself :D

Both IPs we offloaded we actually did sell ourselves. Interestingly, a stake out would have driven me crazy - both only had two individuals go through each (not the same ppl for each property though, four ppl went through two properties). Like they say, you only need one.

I did something similar for my dad a few weeks ago. Their house was open for inspection to rent and I went along as a mystery shopper to check out how proactive their property manager was - he did a good job.

Have you got your disguise worked out? What coffee and snacks will you have?

I assume you have a good camera with a monster telephoto lens?

I've done this with Rentals to see potential tenants.
I also visit every open when buying and constantly stay in the agents proximity.
As they say knowledge is power, who cares if you come across as creepy, this is big money.

Back