How to guess if tenants will keep house clean and tidy by their look

I will see a prospective tenants tomorrow before deciding if rent IP out to them. My questions is how to know tenant will stay and keep the IP clean and tidy by looking at them. For example, the ways of their dress, they have a clean car etc.

Can you share your experience?

Last edited:
You can take a decent guess by what you mentioned. The best way to determine that is if the property isn't clean and see if they mention something about the cleanliness while inspecting.

With tenants that don't have any previous rental history from an agent, you could ask to inspect their current property to see. I've done that on some occasions.

Why do you care if they're clean and tidy? Far more important that they pay their rent on time, and don't damage your property.

Why do you care if they're clean and tidy? Far more important that they pay their rent on time, and don't damage your property.

Exactly. Right now I would be embarrassed if anybody saw my house. It is dusty and a week's worth of washing is sitting in baskets on our bedroom floor because I have been too busy to clean OR tidy.

I don't care how tidy my tenants are. I do care that they pay rent on time and don't damage the house and leave it clean and tidy when they leave. One of my fussiest tenants was very particular when she went in and wanted us to pay a cleaner (house was clean enough for me to rent it). We agreed to pay a cleaner to get it sparkling but she didn't end up going ahead. She did say she had just paid a professional cleaner $750 for the house she just left.

When she left it was reasonably good but I still cleaned for a day (mostly oven). Had I paid for the cleaner she wanted I would have tried to claim for the same level of clean going out. I would hate a regular inspection of how I live.

Personally I would reject any prospects who don't come to inspect wearing anything less than a lounge suit, polished shoes, tie & flower in the button hole/evening gown & high heels.

You can take a decent guess by what you mentioned. The best way to determine that is if the property isn't clean and see if they mention something about the cleanliness while inspecting.

With tenants that don't have any previous rental history from an agent, you could ask to inspect their current property to see. I've done that on some occasions.

Lots of helpful suggestions from the posts - first impressions are one of multiple ways to assess cleanliness - PMs can check past rental history, request to see past rental inspection reports; check TICA; undertake reference checks - a question I sometimes ask to a referee is "If you had a rental property would you feel absolutely confident to rent to X?" - ofcourse most referees are individuals who the tenant has selected; discussions with previous PMs to name a few options. At the end of the day, as some helpful SS posters have already said - if the rent is paid and no damage takes place that is critical as tenants are required to clean the premises upon vacating and if not the funds to clean can be taken out of the bond

What happen if property is messy and strong smell at the end of lease. You could not clean the carpet because of dog pee smell. Your kitchen stingy and house quickly degrades. My strong belief is that tidy and clean people keep house better .

Back