Australian Dollar

Hi All

Reading an article this morning where experts expecting the Au $ to hit the 83c over the next 18 months. For the best part of two years its been around 1.10.

The last two weeks its been low 90s.

Goodbye to cheap overseas holidays.

MTR

good bye to cheap everything. I just got a letter from a satcom supplier saying they are whacking up prices due to lowering dollar... so it comes from surprising angles sometimes.

they reckon cars are one of the good things to get onto right now, but really any expenditure should be made now before prices rise (unless it is something local - can't think what that would be??).

yeh you just have to roll with it, I need to switch from importing to exporting to offset the lowering standard of living

as for tourist towns, I doubt there will be any real change. If your clients are relying on this sort of discount before trapsing all the way out here then they are probably low margin customers anyway

Hi All

Reading an article this morning where experts expecting the Au $ to hit the 83c over the next 18 months. For the best part of two years its been around 1.10.

The last two weeks its been low 90s.

Goodbye to cheap overseas holidays.

MTR

I think none of the economists really know how long it will drop. A few weeks ago, they were saying that the Aussie will gain support at 95c, that didn't happen, then they changed it to 90c and now 83c.

It's good for the mining and engineering industries. Things are already starting to quieten down, hopefully, with the dollar low, new projects will kick into gear.

good bye to cheap everything. I just got a letter from a satcom supplier saying they are whacking up prices due to lowering dollar... so it comes from surprising angles sometimes.

they reckon cars are one of the good things to get onto right now, but really any expenditure should be made now before prices rise (unless it is something local - can't think what that would be??).

Apparently a dollar anywhere in the 80s actually means car manufacturers such as holden become profitable.

A number of Aussie media outlets poked fun at George Soros when he shorted the AUD.

Nobody's laughing now.

Still, its great for our exporters and in-bound tourists.

Apparently a dollar anywhere in the 80s actually means car manufacturers such as holden become profitable.

I was working at Ford in 2001 when the dollar hit 50 US cents and if you are not exporting, and Ford HQ never looked after Ford Aus in that respect, you don't have a natural hedge as imported components become more expensive.

However Ford Australia wasn't profitable then either.

A number of Aussie media outlets poked fun at George Soros when he shorted the AUD.

Nobody's laughing now.

Still, its great for our exporters and in-bound tourists.

Yep.

Also signs that the American economy is on the move, Mr Bernanke, Chair US Fed Reserve about to turn off the money printing presses, which have been running since GFC started:eek:

yeh you just have to roll with it, I need to switch from importing to exporting to offset the lowering standard of living

as for tourist towns, I doubt there will be any real change. If your clients are relying on this sort of discount before trapsing all the way out here then they are probably low margin customers anyway

But you will find people switching from overseas to local holidays.

I am sure there is a close link to the AUD and resident departures stats.

Attachments

• 0.16D2!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif.gif
    0.16D2!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 0.21A6!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif.gif
    0.21A6!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 90
Back