Converting living area into a bedroom

Just wanted to pick the brains of the experts out there...

Would you convert this 2 bedroom weatherboard house into 3 bedrooms by converting the living room at the front into a bedroom? The living area would then really be the dining / family area. Little small but still something.

I thought by doing this would increase the rent from $390 to $410 per week.

Any thoughts or other ideas welcome :)

Attachments

• floorplan1.gif
    floorplan1.gif
    23.9 KB · Views: 175
I would make the laundry and toilet half the size.
Then increase the size of the lounge room so converting the front room into an extra bedroom won't make the living areas cramped.

Just wanted to pick the brains of the experts out there...

Would you convert this 2 bedroom weatherboard house into 3 bedrooms by converting the living room at the front into a bedroom? The living area would then really be the dining / family area. Little small but still something.

I thought by doing this would increase the rent from $390 to $410 per week.

Any thoughts or other ideas welcome :)

There is no conversion needed, you just relabel the front living room as a bedroom. Bang in a wardrobe and it's a bedroom. I wouldn't be spending much money to get $20 more a week.

A 2 bedroom house does not need 2 living areas.

I think I would market it as a 4 x 2 straight off the bat and include the studio.

Any chance it's in an area where you can rent the studio out seperately to another tenant?

microsoft paint :D

You could also convert the laundry into another bathroom, and just have a washing machine/dryer in the bathroom with no laundry sink.

24xgmqe.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Westminster, thanks for your input. I was hoping to rent the studio/ bungalow separately to the house by fencing it off. I agree with you what you're saying though. I think Ryan hit the nail on the head by suggesting to reduce the laundry size and open up the family area. Shouldn't cost me more than $2k.

I'd go one step further.

Make the original Bathroom the ensuite by removing the shower & putting it over the bath. Keep the bath, because it's a 3 bedder & it may be something people will want. Then add a toilet where the shower used to be. Close off & change where the entry goes.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 118
Hi Westminster, thanks for your input. I was hoping to rent the studio/ bungalow separately to the house by fencing it off. I agree with you what you're saying though. I think Ryan hit the nail on the head by suggesting to reduce the laundry size and open up the family area. Shouldn't cost me more than $2k.

I suspect reducing the size of the laundry will be quite expensive as you need to move the toilet and associated plumbing. I have no idea actually how much that costs though

Skater that's brilliant. Does it matter if the master isn't the main bedroom in the house?

It's not ideal, but it is big enough to get a queen bed & wardrobe in. Our first home had a main that was a bit smaller than that.

Or.....spend a little bit more & move the wall, get rid of the bath, put in a second toilet & a tiny little vanity. You'd need a sliding door for entry, and to do something with the window as it's now too big. But that will get you a tiny ensuite while increasing the size of the bedroom. The toilet would face the shower when sitting on it & the little vanity would sit in the middle opposite the opening.

You've now got room for a nice big BIW on the opposite wall of the bedroom. :)

I have to apologise as my editing skills aren't very good, but you can get an idea of what I mean.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 106
Another lightbulb. When doing the laundry, put a bath with a shower over it where there's now a toilet on the plan & put the toilet where it shows a shower.

Voila! Now you have a bigger main bedroom with ensuite AND a full bathroom.

Hodge,
If you are going to fence off the studio I have another idea.

Any chance this place has a nice big front yard?

If it does then go back to original plan and consider:
- make family room master bedroom
- convert laundry to master ensuite with access from toilet side. Leave plumbing shape as is but add a vanity and shower.
- wall off part of laundry close to kitchen where trough is and create small laundry.
- dining stays dining
- lounge becomes living and put a sliding door out to front courtyard.

Does that make any sense?

Another lightbulb. When doing the laundry, put a bath with a shower over it where there's now a toilet on the plan & put the toilet where it shows a shower.

Voila! Now you have a bigger main bedroom with ensuite AND a full bathroom.

Another good idea, Something tells me you've done this before?? ;)

Back