LOC for shares against PPOR

Im not exactly following point 2 Terry.

The amount I am borrowing is $40k. The entire amount is being used as an expense to aid in income producing asset IE investment property & shares. I cannot see why it cannot be fully deductible.

Search for the Domjan case - paragraph 42 from memory.

Have you heard of volatility?
Volatility is irrelevant, the lenders protect themselves with maximum LVRs before closing positions. Banks lost far more on property loans during the GFC than on shares since they can't quickly close the loan when it approaches a loss.

Volatility is irrelevant, the lenders protect themselves with maximum LVRs before closing positions. Banks lost far more on property loans during the GFC than on shares since they can't quickly close the loan when it approaches a loss.

If I was a bank, and we were in a GFC, I'd rather have mortgage payments coming in every month than shares or margin repayents coming in. The former is more stable and more predictable and keeps coming because houses still exist. Public companies cease to, sometimes.

If I was a bank, and we were in a GFC, I'd rather have mortgage payments coming in every month than shares or margin repayents coming in. The former is more stable and more predictable and keeps coming because houses still exist. Public companies cease to, sometimes.
The GFC was caused by bad property loans, not shares.
Banks can quickly and easily get out of margin loans with no loss. With property they cannot.
Margin loans from a banks perspective are lower risk and the interest rate should reflect this.

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way in Australia and people put up with it.

But there are better offers from international lenders.

I bet its the same in other countries with margin interest higher than their property interest, for the same reason.

I bet its the same in other countries with margin interest higher than their property interest, for the same reason.

Interactive Brokers charges less than 1.5% in the US on a margin loan, much better than property loans currently available.

He's talking about if funds (the $40K) are being withdrawn into your transactional account first before being spent on shares. If its there for a bit and theres other transactions going on, it may be hard to prove the nexus of funds for investment when claiming the interest as deductible.

Most share trading accounts that are part of online banking are linked to an investment account anyway; see if you can withdraw to that and buy the shares from that.

I did intend to have it funded to the transaction account where all my rental income and exoenses come out for the inv property. Wouldnt be gard.to track tgat $4k us for loan repayments (expense) and $36k going to my linkednaccount to settle a trade for shares purchase..:p

I did intend to have it funded to the transaction account where all my rental income and exoenses come out for the inv property. Wouldnt be gard.to track tgat $4k us for loan repayments (expense) and $36k going to my linkednaccount to settle a trade for shares purchase..:p

In this case it will be mixing borrowed and unborrowed. This is the trouble with borrowing small amounts - it is hard to manage.

At the very least set up a new savings account for these funds, but seek tax advice before doing anything.

Back