My property manager has charged me management fee for an insurance claim

On a percentage basis? Isn't that because they're the most common?

Probably not due to commonality but as they weren't the recommendation of the agent.

The agent, like the owner, doesn't know the applicant (unless they have previously rented through them/previous relationship) but that is not to say that what looks good on paper/reference checked etc can't go pear shaped.

Are you going to make the agent shoulder the blame for leasing commercial space to a publicly listed company backed by James Murdoch & Jamie Packer which then went belly up?

Property managers are generally in a no win situation. I have heard of landlords blasting property managers for putting the tenants in to their property when something went wrong after a perfect 3 years of everything going right. Unfortunately, life happens. People lose jobs, get sick, have relationship breakdowns. Their circumstances change and it can cause problems beyond the control of the most diligent property manager.

That's not to say that some proeprty managers aren't better than others of course, and sometimes they do mess up, but in the main they (property managers) want the same as the landlord, a smooth running trouble-free tenancy where the rent is paid on time and no damage is caused. That's how they make their income.

Back