does my lease fall under the retail leases act

2 year lease with 2 x 1 year options
small business mechanical car yard
<300sqm

the agent wants me to pay for the lessors legal costs? isnt each party suppose to pay their own legal fee if my lease is covered by the Retail Leases Act?

thank u

If it is in NSW, probably not
e
see Schedule 1 of the Retail Lease Act
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/rla1994135/sch1.html

thanks terry

the REI NSW commercial lease template says on the top states
Suitable for small office buildings, factories and shop premises which are not the subject of the Retail Leases Act 1994 where the
term of the lease (including the period of any option) does not exceed three years.

my lease is over 6 years including options. the permitted use is not listed in the RLA (garage)....so does that mean that i have to pay the landlord's reasonabl cost of preparing the lease??? as per standard clause 22 of the template

Costs
22. a The Tenant shall pay their own legal costs and the reasonable legal costs of the Landlord in relation to the preparation
of this lease.
b The Tenant shall pay the stamp duty and registration fees (if any) payable in connection with this lease.
thanks as always terry

thanks terry

the REI NSW commercial lease template says on the top states
Suitable for small office buildings, factories and shop premises which are not the subject of the Retail Leases Act 1994 where the
term of the lease (including the period of any option) does not exceed three years.

my lease is over 6 years including options. the permitted use is not listed in the RLA (garage)....so does that mean that i have to pay the landlord's reasonabl cost of preparing the lease??? as per standard clause 22 of the template

Costs
22. a The Tenant shall pay their own legal costs and the reasonable legal costs of the Landlord in relation to the preparation
of this lease.
b The Tenant shall pay the stamp duty and registration fees (if any) payable in connection with this lease.
thanks as always terry

Probably..

You pay for what you have negotiated - if you have agreed to pay the Lessor's costs then you wear the lot, if you have negotiated a cap on the cost then you pay that amount. If you haven't agreed to pay lessor's costs, then it is their problem.

Failure to negotiate all terms sets you up for several falls.

(if you are a property undergrad, you should have plenty of resources at uni to ask, as well as learnt how to read the RLA, what is a retail lease/what's not etc).

1. Do you actually have a lease yet or are you currently negotiating the lease for the initial term? If initial term - fees are negotiable and in this market each should bare own.

2. If you already have a lease and you are talking about legal costs to draw up a new lease for an option term, the clause relating to the option should dictate costs. If its silent, its negotiable and you should push for each party to bare own costs.

22a says preparation of the lease, doesn't mention renewal or extension.
Are you already a party to the lease and already using the property and operating your business there ?
Or are u negotiating to start a lease of the premises ?
Cheers
crest133

Back