My responsibility or tenants?

My PM has informed me that it's my responsibility to clear the roof gutters on my IP! I'm interstate so I'd have to employ someone to do the job. I've had a look at the tenancy agreement and it seems inconclusive...talks about the tenant's responsibility to keep the drains clear but doesn't actually mention the gutters (are they considered part of the drains??) The IP is in SA by the way.

Any thoughts? Cheers.

:confused:

When I was a tenant, the landlord cleaned the gutters. There is no way I would be climbing on a ladder for someone else's property. As a Landlord, I would get someone in to do the gutters - if they block it would cause me more problems than the tenant.

We don't clear our own gutters :eek:.

I would never expect a tenant to get up on a ladder to clear gutters. No doubt some tenants do so, but it is just not something I have ever been asked before. It has never been an issue, with no overhanging trees causing a problem either.

I am not sure but I would not be comfortable with my tenants having to climb up on the roof due to the danger of them falling and injuring themselves. I would think it would be your responsibility because the tenants in no way caused the gutters to block up and keeping them clear and trees trimmed are just general maintainence. This is just one of the irritating things about having an IP far from home.

I just cleaned gutters last weekend, took a deductable trip to the coast at the same time as we did annual inspections as well.;) Found a leak in the solar system as well, so it pays for this to be done regularly.

I forbid tenants to be getting on the roof or up ladders to do maintenance.

It is the landlords responsibilty to clear gutters in SA, this is a maintenance issue that has nothing to do with tenants.

Please note it does not mean that the landlord has to physically climb on a ladder to do it. It means that the landlord has to ensure it is done.

I would never climb on a ladder to clean gutters, my time is way too valuable as an investor!!!!

If you have a pm ask them to organise a trades person then it will be end of story that's all you have to do. And it does not matter what state you are in! Trades people exist in every state ;)

Yeah, in Vic it is the LL's responsibility to clean gutters, basically anything that requires the tenant getting on a ladder is LL's job.

If it is going to be a continual problem it may be a idea to get a Leaf Guard type barrier placed over the top of the gutters. That way most leaves just get blown off and downpipes do not clog. As well as safer in bushfires.

Gee Cee

If it is going to be a continual problem it may be a idea to get a Leaf Guard type barrier placed over the top of the gutters. That way most leaves just get blown off and downpipes do not clog. As well as safer in bushfires.

Gee Cee

Gutter guard is a good idea. It is still prudent to check gutters and pay particular attention to valleys. I paid a handy man to check and clean the gutters on one of my Perth IPs before winter. Ended up that insurance paid to have the ceilings painted in half the house due to water damage due to blocked valeys.

FYI.

Cheers.

Chrisv

Back