High Yielding Shares Again

Really there are great listed diversified assets out there such as the older LICs and some ETFs where the probability of them going bust is extraordinarily low. Just spread your savings across a number of them for even greater peace of mind.

And as for the short term focus on BHP and other share's price fluctuations sort out if you're a trader vs investor. If you're an investor consider increasing the focus on income first. That way the share price can do whatever but as long as the income on average across diversified share holdings continues to flow then why worry.

Honestly I'm a huge fan of the older LICs, about as close to a set and forget income producing asset that you can get. As for the GFC etc did it really have much effect on their income, well NO. Just an incredible opportunity to dramatically add to holdings by buying an excellent income stream very cheaply. And if they happened to be priced below NTA then you're really laughing.

As for selling our LICs I personally don't at any stage, I just buy more when the market is well and truly on the nose. Then forget about it all for a long time and when you decide to check your shares again you may find on average that prices are back near their previous highs or more and what the hell was all the fuss about. More importantly did your income from these assets really deteriorate that badly along the way? Probably not. And if so the income fluctuations would have been dramatically lower than capital volatility.

It's all very simple, overthinking will have you tinkering with your portfolio too frequently resulting generally in more harm than good.

Really there are great listed diversified assets out there such as the older LICs and some ETFs where the probability of them going bust is extraordinarily low. Just spread your savings across a number of them for even greater peace of mind.

And as for the short term focus on BHP and other share's price fluctuations sort out if you're a trader vs investor. If you're an investor consider increasing the focus on income first. That way the share price can do whatever but as long as the income on average across diversified share holdings continues to flow then why worry.

Honestly I'm a huge fan of the older LICs, about as close to a set and forget income producing asset that you can get. As for the GFC etc did it really have much effect on their income, well NO. Just an incredible opportunity to dramatically add to holdings by buying an excellent income stream very cheaply. And if they happened to be priced below NTA then you're really laughing.

As for selling our LICs I personally don't at any stage, I just buy more when the market is well and truly on the nose. Then forget about it all for a long time and when you decide to check your shares again you may find on average that prices are back near their previous highs or more and what the hell was all the fuss about. More importantly did your income from these assets really deteriorate that badly along the way? Probably not. And if so the income fluctuations would have been dramatically lower than capital volatility.

It's all very simple, overthinking will have you tinkering with your portfolio too frequently resulting generally in more harm than good.

Which LICs do you recommend?

Which LICs do you recommend?

China, mate you need to educate yourself over time and stop asking people to give you the answer to a question that you change by the week....there is plenty of info on here already about AFI / ARG / MLT and the like, these are examples of what Austini is talking about.

China, mate you need to educate yourself over time and stop asking people to give you the answer to a question that you change by the week....there is plenty of info on here already about AFI / ARG / MLT and the like, these are examples of what Austini is talking about.

I am interested in Austini's current specific recommendations. I have noted his previous comments in threads past regarding AFI and ARG.

Thanks Redwing. Do you know what the other posters mean when they say that a good time to buy LIC is when the price of the LIC is less than the NTA? Are they referring to the actual numbers of each?

The link to the article about LIC is not working.

Its generally when their NTA is higher than their price.

The ASX produces reports on LIC premium and discounts to NTA

Here's a Sept report for CLIME

From this report, I see the CLIME share price at $0.96 and the NTA before tax is $1.04. Does this mean that this is an automatic buy?

I was also pleased to note that my their australian share holdings mirrors my own holdings closely for half their choices including anz, bhp and wow.

Depends what your after China

There are some well known LIC's

The ASX / Morningstar LIC NTA report series, available from January 2014 onwards provides a snapshot of whether LICs are trading at a premium or a discount to their net tangible assets and additional details on fees, manager and benchmark.

September Report

Oscar, have you found that VAS gives you a consistent 4% yield per annum consistently over the years in terms of dividend pay outs? I am just wondering that if I were to drip feed all my retirement funds slowly into VAS over the next few years, whether this is a sufficient nest egg for me to live for a long time on an inflation indexed asset with 4% yield?

China, to answer your question - the yields for last 3 years;

2011/12 - 5.55%
2012/13 - 5.42%
2013/14 - 6.37%

longer term

Let's go a little longer term as a 3 year time horizon is too short to plan a strategy on.

Vanguard High Yield Aus Share fund - distributions (yield) from fund inception (2004) is 5.36%

Not too shabby

The property fund I entered into a few months ago;

Vanguard index australian properties security fund - distributions from inception (1998) is 7.03%

Thank you very much....

.... as a comparison - my US properties in Atlanta have yielded (so far this year), net of all fees, maintenance, taxes etc; 6.2%. By the end of the year the annual yield from these properties would be 7 - 8%

That's pretty good, but has taken more active work follow up/ forms/ emails etc whereas the index funds are literally set and forget.

So china, you can do much better than 3 or 4% returns with your hard earned. If I can do it anybody can.

Let's go a little longer term as a 3 year time horizon is too short to plan a strategy on.

Vanguard High Yield Aus Share fund - distributions (yield) from fund inception (2004) is 5.36%

Not too shabby

Vanguard index australian properties security fund - distributions from inception (1998) is 7.03%

Thank you very much....

Hi Oscar Re: The below, is this why you added Vanguards Property Index?

The Vanguard Australian Shares High Yield ETF (VHY) aims to replicate the FTSE ASFA Australia High Dividend Yield Index, a market-cap-weighted index that excludes Australian real estate investment trusts (AREITs).

Why VHY and VAP rather than just VAS (ASX300) :confused:

Not too shabby

Thank you very much....

Ok, now lets look a bit deeper...

Vanguard HY Unlisted since inception (2004) , Distribution is 5.36%.....with franking between 70-90% each year....so lets call it 70% franking to be on the conservative side....grossed up that is 6.96% pa distribution vs 7.03% for the REIT Index...now what happened to the capital base in the last 10 years (including the GFC, a once in a generation disaster).

Vanguard HY index = 3.58% pa
Vangard REIT index = -1.99% pa.....yep, that's a negative folks....a deadset wealth destroyer, the lead in the saddle bags!! :p

I'll take the stocks thanks :D

Erko, the yield is important to me and both funds yield well long and short term. On top of that total returns are positive and compounding year on year even through a GFC.

This is a small conservative part of my overall wealth portfolio and suits me well. I also got out just before the GFC and back in at the low point, so my actual returns are much better. I posted this to show you can do much better than 3 % returns.

Oscar, not having a go at you sorry if it came across like that. Just wanted to show the benefit of franking which is often overlooked, and was interested to look into the capital growth myself. Now DRP those franked divis and it becomes very interesting.

I re read and got your point now. My bad. Yeah the VHY looks even better with franking. I'm still learning with the commercial property fund.

Redwing, I like to keep the funds separate (shares and property) as I can control the relative weight of each in my portfolio. Right now it is 5% property, 95% shares. I'd like to get it up to 50/50 over time.

In retirement then. Income would come from index share fund, index property fund, RIP in Sydney and Atlanta, cash in the bank and super pension.

Very low maintenance portfolio except the Atlanta property - depending on Australia dollar/ capital gain these might be sold off in the long term.

Back