Geelong and surrounds

Hi funnymoney,

Don't waste approx 10k of your money on a BA...Man look up REA.com etc etc.

It's not hard and even being time poor with the net,it's not rocket science.

Anyhow,there is 1 born every day.

Hi funnymoney,

Don't waste approx 10k of your money on a BA...Man look up REA.com etc etc.

It's not hard and even being time poor with the net,it's not rocket science.

Anyhow,there is 1 born every day.

You can't get the feel of an area off the net. The good and bad streets. You need to travel the area in person or use someone with knowledge of the area.

PJ, what are you looking for in Geelong?

What is your chosen investment strategy and what are you looking for the property to do for you?

Rixter and S0805; Geelong is just one of the options that I am considering.
I have another IP which is highly negatively geared (although it does help in tax); so i am looking for this IP to be more a cashflow investment.
Thks Onion33 for your offer.

Other things about Geelong compared to Melbourne:
- Rent yields are higher :)
- Property management fees are higher :(
- Council rates tend to be higher (when comparing home of similar value) :(

For me, Geelong is a go nowhere town. I remember waking up one day thinking to myself "If I don't get out of here soon, I'm going to wake up when I'm 50 and ask myself 'What have I done with my lfe?'" A lot of people seem to like it, though.

When I came back from Brisbane and drove through on the way to my parents place, I was amazed at how much it had been built up. Seems they can't build fast enough, espcially around Grovedale/Waurn Ponds/Highton.

This is the thing with Geelong:
You grow up a teenager, then a young adult and want the excitement of Melb.
You move to Melb, have a great party and foodie life, great job ops.
You get older, stop partying as much. The traffic and trying to get anywhere in 10mins starts to get to you!
You want to buy a house and send your kids to good schools bu realise you'd have to sell your kidney or be a debt slave forever to do this in Melb.
You move back to Geelong and realise life is so easy and affordable!!! Your friends do the same.

I grew up in Geelong. One of the best decisions I ever made was getting the heck out of there. I would invest in certain pockets, though.

Me too. 37 years there now I've been here in Sydney for 5 or so years.

I bought my IP in Hamlyn Heights. Its going through that process everything is getting subdivided, knock downs and also the new big super high school that has been built. Also I think Waurn ponds might be good.

If you want cash flow I think Corio, Breakwater and Whittington.

Back