PM wants 100 points of ID from landlord

Just wondering if anyone's had their property manager (that they've used for years) ask, out of the blue, for 100 points of ID?

Apparently 'for their records'.

Does anyone have any sound reasons to accede to their request?

Maybe they have decided they are obligated under the AML/CTF Act to obtain their customers details (i.e. Know Your Customer, KYC).

Would you rather be an absentee owner with the property sold out from underneath you by a scammer or have a diligent agent confirm your ownership and id before accepting a management? (Can be part of a ruse to become familiar with the agency before misrepresenting & selling without the true owner's knowledge).

I've never known for anyone to be asked this, but I think it's a great idea. It should also apply to sales agents, solicitors & convenaycers.

Identity theft and fraud is a serious problem. Whilst this wouldn't solve the problem, it would substantially reduce it.

Additionally it would avoid a lot of small mistakes. The most common problem with sales contracts that I see is the agent doesn't write the buyers full legal name. It happens on the solicitors documents a lot as well (transfer of land).

I personally request copy of ID, proof of ownership and copy of insurance policy with all signed agency agreement (before the management commences).

I also agree that it should be a common practise for all agencies.

From an agent point of view, I have to make sure that the property is adequately insured and I am dealing with the real owner...

My PM asked me for 100 points ID as I was changing bank accounts and had notified him via email. I was also going overseas so was very happy to know they are putting measures in place to prevent scams, after all I hadn't seen my manager in person for the last 3 years so makes sense to me & I was grateful.

Have never been asked for ID, but am asked for proof of ownership via rates notice, and PM's are now starting to ask for copies of insurances to verify there is building and public liability in place

Have never been asked for ID, but am asked for proof of ownership via rates notice, and PM's are now starting to ask for copies of insurances to verify there is building and public liability in place

That's probably another thing they should be asking for, proof of ownership.

A rates notice demonstrates who owns the property, it doesn't prove who you are though. :eek:

Peters view is spot on...Fraud is becoming increasingly sophisticated. We all need to participate in more dilgent means to identify those we deal with.

As a tax agent I regularly ask clients to show me current physical proof of identity. Not scanned etc...A real drivers license etc. I don't keep it but I do note that I sighted it. I tend to do it for new clients with large refunds.... Plenty of tax agents have fallen for the new client scam. A fake return lodged with ATO to access a refund.

A client was recently defrauded $500K by offshore scammers who obtained access to her PC. They hijacked the account changing access bit by bit. The days of silly Nigerian letters has passed. These days its very very sophisticated with patience - They gradually acquire more and more data then swoop quickly. A year is nothing for them.

Computer and data security is highly underestimated. ALL devices should have tough password access and it should always be different from the primary email password which is regularly changed too. These offshore scammers generally hijack one or both email / PC and build a profile slowly. They can and will take super, homes, undrawn loans and bank balances.

With so many scammers around these days I think it's great practice to get both proof of ownership and ID. Anything to help protect people from scammers is good.

Did my CPD points today for this year and the trainer mentioned a form you can get (Im in NSW) from NSW Fair Trading to prevent Estate Fraud. Last page is a suggested Proof od Identity Checklist. Looks very professional with fair trading symbol. I will use in the future. Go to fair trading web page and in search type in real estate identity checklist.

Aaron C, it is already happening/happened out there. Form is a means of helping me identify the correct owner, to protect me, the real owner and you!

Back