Property Prices Doubles in every 10 years rule

My 2 cents worth.

"Property doubles every 10 year"

No. Property doubles on average, in 10 ten years. Some decades it does better, some worse. Over the long term, property outperforms inflation by 2%. Inflation has averaged 5.2% over the last 100 years and property has averaged 7.2%. Inflation has been lower than average over the past few years, so at some stage property will slow down too. This may or may not be in the next decade.

Try looking at newspapers from 100 years ago and compare prices with the same property now. It's amazing how consistent it all works out to be.

The other day I paid $4.80 for a 600ml 'buddy' size Coke from 7-eleven.

Great wages in Australia, but the cost of living is ridiculous. At this rate there will be two kinds of coke I can't afford instead of just the one.

and yet you could have walked/gone to the nearest woolworths/coles, and paid $1.20 per litre for it

My 2 cents worth.

"Property doubles every 10 year"

No. Property doubles on average, in 10 ten years. Some decades it does better, some worse. Over the long term, property outperforms inflation by 2%. Inflation has averaged 5.2% over the last 100 years and property has averaged 7.2%. Inflation has been lower than average over the past few years, so at some stage property will slow down too. This may or may not be in the next decade.

Try looking at newspapers from 100 years ago and compare prices with the same property now. It's amazing how consistent it all works out to be.
Yes.

I've never seen house prices go backwards over the longer term in my lifetime.

It's amazing how often we hear "it'll never happen again" and "It's too expensive" and so on.

I remember as a kid we (my mother was) were renting in Glen Iris.

The LL offered to sell my mum the house, but she couldn't afford it. I think it was $18k from memory (could have been $8k? :confused:) I was about 6 or 7 at the time, so this makes it circa 1967.

Glen Iris is one of the "leafy suburbs" these days and in high demand. That same property (has since been rebuilt with a period reproduction) would be easily $1m or more today.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...2!3m1!1s0x6ad641e88b41dae7:0x829a95731c16bfa9

$8K to $1m in 47 years is 8.5% per year or doubling every 8.5 years on average. So, as others have noted, doubling every ten years in the long term has been a reasonable benchmark in the past but I don't see it in the future - interest rates have nowhere to go but up and the big boost of allowing two incomes when considering mortgage capacity won't happen again. That said, a lot of people who die off in the next decade or two will be leaving previously unimaginable sums to younger generations and these may flow back into the housing market.

but I don't see it in the future -
Nobody can see the future. All we have is the past history. It is up to us to make the educated guess about the future.
Saying we are somewhat different is bit arrogant. In the absence of a crystal ball I would rather put more weight on the past patterns.

but I don't see it in the future - interest rates have nowhere to go but up .

G,day Tony,
It was only about 7 years ago when interest rates were a lot higher, in another 7 years they could be higher or lower. But over the long term, say 100 years, I believe the average will remain fairly constant, as will inflation and capitol growth.

$8K to $1m in 47 years is 8.5% per year or doubling every 8.5 years on average. So, as others have noted, doubling every ten years in the long term has been a reasonable benchmark in the past but I don't see it in the future - interest rates have nowhere to go but up and the big boost of allowing two incomes when considering mortgage capacity won't happen again. That said, a lot of people who die off in the next decade or two will be leaving previously unimaginable sums to younger generations and these may flow back into the housing market.

Depends where and what you buy

I bought a house in reasonable condition for 170 1 year ago, already comparables are at 230, when I stood out on the porch I looked across the park and down the hill And all I could see is a hundred houses that are worth on average 400 each

There is no way in my mind that this house will not double in less than 5 years

Lots of things to look at to achieve maximum return

Nobody can see the future. All we have is the past history. It is up to us to make the educated guess about the future.
Saying we are somewhat different is bit arrogant. In the absence of a crystal ball I would rather put more weight on the past patterns.

Correct just as people think it is different now and we will never have major wars again, US has invaded the Middle East and Russia the Ukranians. History always repeats. So does house price growth.

Say the median is currently 500k, following the rule, we'd have:

2024: 1 million median
2034: 2 million median
2044: 4 million median
2054: 8 million median
2064: 16 million median
2074: 32 million median
2084: 64 million median
2094: 128 million median
2104: 256 million median
2114: 512 million median

I'm sure you can see where this is going.

So either we have some spectacular inflation ahead of us or, no, property does not double every 10 years.

Property prices have doubled (on average) every ten years for the past seven decades. Whether or not that keeps happening in the future is unknown, but it's not impossible. We're just taking nominal figures here. A $512m median might sound crazy, but it's no more crazy than a $1m median would have sounded 100 years ago. Obviously a $512m median wouldn't be possible with current incomes, but if incomes also doubled every 10 years then it would be no less affordable than prices are today. There is no 'maximum' value that nominal house prices can reach. At the end of the day these numbers are just digits on a computer. There is no theoretical limit.

Personally I expect house prices to keep tracking income growth over the medium-long term as they have done for the past decade, which would mean doubling every 15 years approximately.

Over the last few decades property has been driven higher by:

- Looser lending standards
- Increase in dual income households
- Lower & lower interest rates
- Private debt expanding faster than the economy
- Strong income growth from a mining boom

We've probably taken prices about as far as they can go:

So no I don't think property will perform as well over coming decades as it has over the last few.

Agreed... I feel the only future driver will be population growth. I really wish our governments would sort out proper mass-transit, instead of more roads

Minus demolishing/rebuild cost somewhere in equation

Hi Shadow

Do you have a chart for the last 7 decades to post :confused:

Stapledon's data goes back to the 1800s, and some of it has been charted here...http://www.stubbornmule.net/2009/06/property-prices/

6cc-log.png

There's also some data here going back to 1960... http://www.retireonproperty.com/propertyinvesting/research/australian-property-prices-since-1960/

australian-historical-house-prices-1960-2006-logscale.jpg

Not a doubling every single decade obviously, but roughly a doubling every 10 years on average.

And projected into the future...

australian-historical-house-prices-extrapolated-to-2030.png

Over the most recent decade, prices have not doubled. They are only up about 70% since 2004. Perhaps that means we're due for a catch up?

We're just taking nominal figures here. A $512m median might sound crazy, but it's no more crazy than a $1m median would have sounded 100 years ago. Obviously a $512m median wouldn't be possible with current incomes, but if incomes also doubled every 10 years then it would be no less affordable than prices are today.

I agree shadow. Sometimes the numbers in norminal terms sound so outlandish you question them - but over several decades it can make sense. I guess the question is can incomes keep pace and it not, how much can the real price rise before its not sustainable?

do you think in 20-30 years they will introduce a new currency that will eliminate the need to spend $100 for a loaf of bread?

Back