Keys to Property Development - Seminar

The Master Builders Association (NSW) is holding its one day development course again (bargain at $550).
Keys to Development - 24/03/14

The Master Builders Association presents a seminar on the building blocks of Property Development.
Attendees will gain an understanding of the opportunities and pitfalls involved in purchasing, developing, and selling residential and commercial property.
Are you interested in Property Development? Then come and pick up the tools
to get started!
Jim Kapetangiannis takes you through the property development process. Jim holds degrees in Architecture and Business and has 30 years of experience in Design, Construction Management and Property Development. His portfolio includes senior management roles in large scale retail development with a leading national retailer, management of an iconic federal government project,
large scale aged care property development and commercial and high-rise residential property development. He currently heads up capital investments and property for a pharmaceutical company and continues to develop property for private investors and well known charitable institutions.

Topics include:
  • Driving forces behind property value
  • Understanding property supply and demand
  • Identifying a opportunity
  • Planning Law explained
  • Coming to grips with the Planning Approval process
  • Property feasibility studies
  • Overviewofsales,marketing,andfinance

Dates: Monday 24th March 2014
Venue: Auditorium
Master Builders Association NSW
52 Parramatta Rd Forest Lodge Sydney NSW

Can't make it to this one in May, do you know in advance what the future dates for this course are ?
Thanks

Eyespy, sorry about the short notice but there is another one on 27/6/14

This one day course will assist you to select, plan and manage the cost of development projects. You will gain an understanding of the opportunities and pitfalls involved in purchasing, developing and selling residential and commercial property.

The Master Builders Association presents leading figures from across relevant professions to pass on their perspectives of the property development process to potential future developers.

Date: Friday 27 June 2014
Time: 8:30am to 4:30pm
Venue: Master Builders
52 Parramatta Rd, FOREST LODGE, NSW 2037
Cost: Members $450 (inc GST
Non Members $550 (inc GST)
For more information and to register, please click here or contact us on 02 8586 3559 or email us using the address below.

Has anyone got any feedback on this course?
Would like to hear if the information was worthwhile attending as the cost is quite substantial.

No problem Michael. I went to my annual CPD with the MBA at Harbord. Always have good speakers and interesting topics - mould, waterproofing were the highlights (It doesn't take much). ;)

Hi,

I thought the seminar was very good. It was interesting how they put more importance on the return on equity (ROE) instead of margin on costs. I hear a lot of talk around the traps about margin on costs and getting the magic 20% but not so much on ROE. The guy who held the seminar also said it's near impossible to find deals with margins of 20% or more in Sydney because it's such a mature market. Good to hear these opinions from the industry professionals. Was also interesting in studying areas population growth rates and analysing this against the cuurent and upcoming supply on the market.

As it is condensed into 1 day you can't expect each topic to go into too much detail however it's good if you have some prior knowledge beforehand.

As a developer I do focus on margins, but so do banks when sourcing finance. ROI is another tool, but personally I am far more interested in margin, net profit what I bring back to the table.

I think Syd sounds a little like the Perth market, land has risen so much and end value of the product ie villas etc. have stopped therefore the margins become much tighter. Makes one more focussed and requires more work.

Lots crammed in one day, sound good though, thanks for sharing.

Cheers
MTR:)

Yes, I think you need to look at both.
Margin on costs needs to be considered when looking at a funding point of view. The banks are interested in this as they are funding the majority of the project. It's like being in a partnership with the bank and overall the project needs to be strong enough to proceed. Maybe 20% is the aim but not always possible. ROI is more for a developers own point of view where you look at return based on your own funding input to the deal.

20% profit margin seems to be the minimum profit when looking at deals. There are developers making more than this today in tight markets, just read some posts under "adding value". This is where you have to be creative, but it also comes with more experience, not necessarily easy to do when starting.

I think if anyone is starting out perhaps a good idea is to start small, where not as much cash is required, less risk, ie retain house, build at rear. This would be shorter time frame.

I find that if I can not make at least 20% profit margin there is no point, basically due to timeframe, from beginning to end of project could be looking at 12 months.

Just came back from today';s Keys to Property Development course.

Positive
- Very interactive, and practical
- Jim the presenter was down to earth and uses plenty of his personal experience within the talk
- Didn't follow the reading materiel ( Which is great...else i would have fallen asleep...)
- Not sure if this is a positive or negative, it will depend on the person's experience...but the course is very focus on understanding the numbers and how to determine the profit,

Negative
- Very focus on the commercial and bigger projects

Overall
- You won't be a proeprty developer from going to this 1 day course, but it gets you in the right mind set and gives you a good basic run down

- Excellent networking event for similar liked minded ppl and plenty of builders to connect with. I was fortunate enough to find out that Jim the presenter has finalized a similar project that im currently trying to undergo in the same suburb! so i be using his personal service and knowledge to kick start my development projects :)

- Def need to be a active property developer to understand all he terms and keep up with the numbers ( It's pointless if you never owned any property investment at all, you simply won't keep up to half the stuff his talking about)

Would i recommend it? yep :)

Great review Mick. At least you have been able to gain some valuable knowledge without being up sold onto a how to course, mentoring, or overpriced investment products.

The Recent Friday session had around 20 ppl and 5 of them were interstate ( SA/VIC/ WA) and 6 from outside Sydney ( Central coast etc..).

Back