Frankston gurus?

Looking at potentially buying a 9 month old townhouse on Raymond Ave in Frankston as an investment rental. Is this a decent area in Frankston to buy in?

It's on the beach side of Frankston FWY but not in the high school zone :-(

Any advice here?

Seems it's getting more and more expensive in the Frankston high school zone these days!

Why a unit? Although the location you are looking at seems nice enough, wouldn't you get more capital gain by buying a cheap oldie on one of those subdivisible blocks that Frankston and Seaford are famous for?

About the FHSZ. People outside the zone are allowed to send their kids to Frankston High. I am told they allocate a certain number of places for kids from nearby areas.

Hi

Raymond Avenue is in a bad part of Frankston.

However as a rental it will give you less hassles as the building is only 9 months old and would have a 7 year builder's guarantee on it.

One would expect that the price you are paying for the townhouse has an element of profit that is going to the person that developed the property.

For big capital gain growths this investment may not be the best so keep that in mind.

If it were me and you want to buy a townhouse or a unit get something a little older but in a better part of Frankston with a better location then you will have the bonus of this better location and it will be to your benefit.

So if you are looking strictly as a rental I would look elsewhere.
If you are looking for a development opportunity or bigger than average capital gains I would look elsewhere.
If you are buying it for PPOR I would look elsewhere.

I would only buy it if the price was an absolute bargain of the century.

Regards,

alicudi

Last edited:
I'm not really looking to subdivide and develop. Got no time or expertise in that area. Prefer to buy new or almost new which is hassle free and maximize depreciation with minimal or no repair/maintenance required. Looking at holding and renting it out long term, not for quick short term profit.

Given the newness of the unit, I think the OP's motivations may lie in getting depreciation benefits. If so, that's fine. It need not be Frankston - you could get the same benefits anyplace else, provided the house is not ancient.

The CG prospects of a unit are limited. For the same price, IMHO, the OP would be better off buying an entire house. But that's just my view. I'm a CG freak, and not so interested in depreciation. Each to their own.

That whole area is in development mode ATM. A lot of builders are buying in that area and subdividing. The area is good I wouldn't say it's terrible but each to there own.

As a frankston resident I can say for that price I'd buy closer to the CBD on a bigger block. I wouldn't buy that to be honest. There are better bargains around.bhaving said that if you believe that the house is right for you go for it. You are close to everything that's it's best selling point

Nick

I'm not really looking to subdivide and develop. Got no time or expertise in that area. Prefer to buy new or almost new which is hassle free and maximize depreciation with minimal or no repair/maintenance required. Looking at holding and renting it out long term, not for quick short term profit.

You may not be interested in developing but the person you might sell an old house on a block to in 25 years time might be....

Whilst a buyer trying to get a 25 year old unit will still be the bottom of the market

Bet you the profit in holding a large block smashes your depreciation benefits out of the park

Catch

You may not be interested in developing but the person you might sell an old house on a block to in 25 years time might be....

Whilst a buyer trying to get a 25 year old unit will still be the bottom of the market

Bet you the profit in holding a large block smashes your depreciation benefits out of the park

Catch

Succinct and very true. Totally agree.

Here is another example of what I was saying.
http://www.realestateview.com.au/Re...roperty-Details-sold-residential-7494317.html

Sold for $425k. House was bought for 320k with plans and permits to build 2 townhouses. The central frankston is going up very fast it's the best location in frankston. Close to everything you need!

That general area of central Frankston is tired, beset by low rents and doesn't have the best reputation. However I agree that some streets near Beach St and Cranbourne Rd are handy and should do OK long term (though there are many older cheaper units in streets like Lewis and Petrie).

That property above is in Wave Street. Like Fairway and Spray streets this is a very second-rate location, even when compared with others in Frankston. To quote from the ad:

"1.4km to Frankston station and only 1.9km to Frankston beach"

Both beyond easy walking distance, so you'll likely drive. Would you let your daughter walk that 1.4km from the station at night?

The Walkscore for 3 Wave Street is 52, which is poor especially for unit type developments where people trade convenience for space. I have wandered around that north central part of Frankston around Fairway. It is near very little apart from the freeway. You are certainly not a participant of the bayside lifestyle to the extent that those in other parts of Frankston can be.

Whereas move a kilometre south in the same pocket of Frankston, to say 42 Petrie St and the Walk score goes up to 72, making it a vastly better location. Ditto for streets off Beach St, Cranbourne Rd and closer parts of Frankston South.

Everyone has different motivations. My spouse and I became interested in Frankston due to its increasing Asian-Australian population, particularly in the Frankston High zone. That school is producing excellent results, which is partly due to the increasing presence of immigrant kids.

At the end of the road, Frankston offers people a cheap entry-point into a beachside suburb which has plenty of redevelopment opportunities. Of course its not everyone's cup of tea for a PPOR. Nevertheless, from what I see, the numbers do stack up. As Grandad says, if you buy at the cheap end you can be assured of a 5% yield for one of those dual occ sites with an existing rentable brick house. Of course, if you pay too much, you can be assured of a lesser yield and a lesser eventual capital gain.

Hi

An influx of Asian-Australian's into the Frankston area could be the best thing for property prices in the area and will increase the offering of Asian inspired food which always tastes good!

May I ask Lord Shanghai: Do you know if Frankston is promoted anywhere as a destination for Asian-Australian's to reside in? Perhaps in some Asian newspapers or some other means within the Asian community?

Or has this increase of Asian-Australian's in the area accumulated from the high amount of international asian students at the local uni?

Regards,

alicudi

Alicudi, its mostly a few immigrant mums and dads moving in. And then others seem to follow. It is probably due to the school. FSHS has a decent reputation and immigrant kids take a large number of prizes every year. You don't need to be in the FSHSZ to send your kdis there, although it helps if you live locally.

About overseas students: Frankston's branch of Monash University has had overseas students for well over a decade. But these kids generally move on once they have graduated.

Just so people know......Frankston is totally different from other top-end, uber-rich immigrant suburbs like Box Hill. The Asian immigrants in Frankston are mostly hard-working middle-class people. They have come to Australia to work hard and to raise their kids well. They are not on welfare and seem very motivated to get ahead.

Although I am a huge believer in Frankston and I openly declare my own interest in the area, I don't think the recent influx of Asian Australian immigrants will have a big effect on the suburb.

Or has this increase of Asian-Australian's in the area accumulated from the high amount of international asian students at the local uni?

I would be cautious about pinning too much hope on university campuses to help much, especially in outer suburban and rural areas. Higher education does not seem to be the growth area it was in the '80s and '90s where colleges became universities and there was a push to bring universities nearer to where the people were (especially in outer suburban and regional areas).

Multi-campus universities now seem to be consolidating their campuses to their larger facilities in the CBD, inner and middle suburbs. For instance VU closed down Sunbury and Melton. Swinburne got out of Lilydale. Monash University got out of Churchill by palming its campus there to the new Federation University formed out of the University of Ballarat. This is despite continued population growth in outer suburbs like Melton.

I don't know Monash's plans for Frankston, but it would be prudent to be aware of how that campus is performing, whether its enrolments are growing and the university's future plans for it before basing an investment decision (especially student accommodation) on its continuation.

Healthcare is the other area that investors seem to like because of its stability. Frankston has a collection of hospitals etc not far from the university. We used to think that though manufacturing went offshore, the service industries were safe. This may not be the case anymore with services also moving offshore.

Eg more people seem to be getting operations in cheaper countries. If a future government was to weaken Medicare was to be weakened and there was to be a return to private health, I can imagine there being new low-budget private health insurance funds that are affiliated with budget airlines and budget hospitals in Asia. The lower costs mean they bypass Australian surgeons for some operations and offer a cheaper premium for customers.

Aged care probably has a better future here. Although it depends on its wage structure. If we have a cheap (or what employers call 'flexible') labour market we can keep the low paid caring professions here (most likely with a Liberal government). Otherwise they may be able to get more compliant foreign workers in on 457 visas. Or if our low-end wages are higher (most likely with a Labor government) and we don't have 457s then our care costs will rise (the biggest component being labour). Our age care sector may be less competitive as a result.

Having said that those with no family ties (or are estranged from their families) may find their diminished superannuation dollars go further if they move to poorer countries. Such countries though need to be stable politically and have good health care along with excellent air connections to Australia. There could be an element of win win since Australians overseas aren't going to be using government funded health and community care services. The overseas countries gain through higher employment in their aged care sectors and services like food, travel and building.

Spiderman, Monash's Nursing School has been in Frankston for almost two decades, if not longer. A good chunk of the enrolment are postgrads from overseas.

For my spouse and I, the attraction for Frankston did not lie in it being a beachside suburb. For us, it was because most of the houses (thanks Granddad) are on subdivisible blocks. The other attraction was the local high school. The presence of plenty of infrastructure was also a bonus.

Has Frankston already moved in some regard? I've been noticing a few homes recently (notably the golden triangle area) going for well over 300k (that were selling for under 250k 18 months ago). I'm don't know if this is because of the market in general inflating or gentrification of Frankston. But to me demand looks significantly higher in the area compared to only a year ago

I don't think there's too many places you can live on the seaside for under 300k anymore. Dromana/Safety Beach are actually more expensive, and the next towns under 300k would have to be Hastings or all the way down the coast past clifton springs/Rosebud. I'm pretty sure the West is baron along the coast until you get past Geelong so Frankston may be literally be the last affordable seaside suburb that's within travelling distance to the cbd.

According to the Valuer General's Office:

- barely 2% of Melbourne houses are on sub-divisible blocks
- in Frankston/Seaford over 40% of houses sit on dual occ or larger sites.

Anyone with a telephone can ring to confirm.

I am NOT saying Frankston is going to triple in the next two years. What I am saying is that people who get in at the cheap end of the Frankston market will make decent, above-average capital gain in the long run. Not to mention the bonus of having property in a beachside suburb which is great for swimming and boating.

Does that mean that people should buy top-end property in Frankston? In my opinion, No! Only buy the top-end if you are not an investor and want a pretty house that you will live in.

Given that most older houses are fit to be demolished after 50 years, I would not pay a premium for a house with a nice kitchen and a pool, even if it is on a supposedly nice street. But that's just me.

Everyone has their own reasons for investing or not investing in Frankston. Lord Shanghai mentioned schools. Again, its not something I chose as a factor when investing in Frankston.

Back