Brisbane - Flood Maps

Hi All,

I am looking to buy a Investment property in Norther Brisbane (Aspley,Fitzgibbon) area and was wondering what is the best way to look at the flood maps of the area?

I had a look at the Brisbane city council website and also checked the overlay maps (interactive maps) which are very good but in flood section it shows three different options river,creek,overland. I am not sure which once should I use.

I was wondering if there is any simple way of checking for flooding in area. I also had a look at individual property flooding report but it does not provide any information of the street.

Thanks

If you have the address of the property, you can go to flood.brisbane.qld.gov.au and punch in the address. It should tell you the ARI and chances of flood.

You should check with an insurance company as well. We bought beside but not in a flood zone (as per council map/estate agent etc) took out insurance and insurance company has their 'own' map, which put us in 'their' flood zone and needless to say has a very high premium.
When I questioned this I was told their maps were very expensive and much better than councils.
They are certainly more profitable for the ins. Co.

The house is on a hill, no possible way it can flood, that doesn't matter apparently!

You should check with an insurance company as well. We bought beside but not in a flood zone (as per council map/estate agent etc) took out insurance and insurance company has their 'own' map, which put us in 'their' flood zone and needless to say has a very high premium.
When I questioned this I was told their maps were very expensive and much better than councils.
I believe the opposite is true. I was told that the Council maps down to (more finely than) individual property level, whereas the insurers only aggregate data by postcode. So yes, you can be on top of a hill, but if there are flood-prone areas in your postcode, you'll pay the same for insurance - in bracket terms - as the person by the river.

I believe the opposite is true. I was told that the Council maps down to (more finely than) individual property level, whereas the insurers only aggregate data by postcode. So yes, you can be on top of a hill, but if there are flood-prone areas in your postcode, you'll pay the same for insurance - in bracket terms - as the person by the river.

true, but even at that, it still means that if the street you are buying on is not in councils flood zone but parts of the post code are, the insurance co. 'penalise' streets within the postcode regardless. so relying on the flood map alone does not help without the additional info on the postcode, or knowing this in advance, which I didn't :rolleyes:

that said, some parts of the post code where I have my PPOR does flood, but I have not had a major increase in my own insurance, I think a different approach is taken when it either isn't an investment property or depending on the insurer you go with.

i changed insurance to youi this year, while they have come in cheaper,(discount for multiple policies) they include a premium which I haven't come across before.
my neighbours have trees (cocos palms) which are higher than 2 stories and within x metres of my property, we have to protect ourselves against them falling on our property as an act of god eliminates 3rd party liability. probably a common one but was new for me!

true, but even at that, it still means that if the street you are buying on is not in councils flood zone but parts of the post code are, the insurance co. 'penalise' streets within the postcode regardless.
Oh yes - I'm not suggesting it's fair. As you know, our PPOR was destroyed by flood, and we're rebuilding a highset that will be flood-proof (possibly not in geological time, but in our lifetimes ;) ). We'll pay the same for insurance as we did on the old house that was on the ground. :rolleyes:

Haven't heard the one re Cocos Palms before. :)

Oh yes - I'm not suggesting it's fair. As you know, our PPOR was destroyed by flood, and we're rebuilding a highset that will be flood-proof (possibly not in geological time, but in our lifetimes ;) ). We'll pay the same for insurance as we did on the old house that was on the ground. :rolleyes:

Haven't heard the one re Cocos Palms before. :)

oh it's definitely not fair but it spreads the cost for owners and reduces and spreads the risk for insurers so as is the norm, the general public pick up the slack so the companies continue to profit! the way of the world eh?

how is that highset coming along these days?

not specifically cocos palms (hate those things, fruit attracts the bats and they cr*p all over my place as they leave their trees, not to mention the squealing at night over the summer mths!) it is any trees, my neighbour just happens to have palms that are incredibly tall!!

Is there any website where one can get approximate quote for flood insurance. Do people usually get flood insurance quote for reference? The suburbs I have been looking have been flooded in past, not to mention, I will be avoiding properties that have been flood and looking to buy a house which does not have flooding risk but if I have to pay same premium since the suburb has been flooded it will hit my pocket and a good return investment property may turn out to be bad.

Any advice on how I should tackle this?

Any advice on how I should tackle this?
1. Shop around - some insurers are cheaper with flood insurance than other insurers are without.

Alas, I'm unaware of any comprehensive online quote sites. But I use this tool to check the star ratings of insurers to decide which ones to get quotes from: http://www.canstar.com.au/home-insurance Don't underestimate how important these ratings are; there's simply no point having insurance if they're going to be difficult when you need to make a claim.

2. If you're particularly worried about the cost of flood cover, include in your quotes a few insurers who don't cover flood.

Hi All,

I really need some expert advice on this confusing issue.

I have been looking at a property which is shown Medium-Low flood risk area in Brisbane council website in understanding the flood risk section. After reviewing the interactive map overlays, it shows it is overland flood flow which goes on the street and shows ending at the property itself but not on property.

When I got flood wise property report, it does not show any flood impact or overlays. I am not sure what does this mean. Should I consider this as flood risk or not.

Can any one please help me understand this? I called council today but could not get hold of any one. I have attached both pictures from both maps for reference. Its not the best picture but may give some idea what I mean.

Attachments

• Overlay Map.jpg
    Overlay Map.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 152
  • Flood awarness map.jpg
    Flood awarness map.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 159
Looks clear to me. When you click on the i (property info button) does it have any flood overlays noted?

There are some errors in the maps too, as would be expected with the large number of properties. Make sure that the contours shown on mapping are consistent with the highest and lowest points on the floodwise report.

Back