Am I a tight a$$, am I doing it wrong?

Whenever I read articles regarding frugal billionaires, I have to wonder how much of this is fact or fiction, average folk like to hear these stories makes them feel good about themselves.
Seriously, if anyone believes that these people do not have some toys, holiday homes etc is naive at best.

I know a guy worth $12mil who shares tea bags and won't cook a pie in the oven because it costs too much to heat up

LOL Terry_w,

I have a friend who's father has $2mil+ and leaves a used tea bag when he drops over.

Father showers at the golf course & shops 5km's away as pricey in his neck of the woods.

He won't use the kitchen and cooks on the bbq outside.

His partner passed away recently and brother in-law was coming down to the funeral,he set up sleeping bag on the floor,even though he has spare bedrooms with beds :rolleyes:

Though at the other end,he will leave everything on,gas heating 24/7...Gas bill alone for himself was $900 per quart,go figure.

Cheers Spades.

You're right, that one item is hardly life changing.
Take that same attitude, and apply to other areas of life.

Oh, btw, I did take that money and all the other money saving ideas incorporated into my everyday life...and it did change my life. :)

My 30 yr old daughter suggested we go to lunch the other day at a local cafe. She wanted to share a meal. We ordered water with lemon on the side (free) and we shared a toasted chicken/lettuce/tomato/avocado/bacon triple decker sandwich with fries. Cost including tip $16...we didn't even finish all the food on our plate.
The place was packed with people and so we had to wait a while for our food. No problem..I'm retired, and it was her day off.
She said how proud she was of me, and she bet of everyone there, I was probably worth the most.

We laughed, and after lunch we walked to the thrift stores for more bargains.

Don't worry!!! I M more embarrassing, I look at Coles /Woolworth catalogues and skim through and anything on those half price deals. If I need, I go and buy, so all in all I may save myself twpbdollars per trip, one hundred per year

Psychologically I get a buzz when ibget a bargain

And I hate it

If I'm bali and I get a 15,000 item for 12,000 rp, I feel good even though
I've saved 30c and because 3000 sounds like a lot

It's ok to spend money, as long as you know how to make money.

It's ok to spend lots of money also, as long as you know how to make lots of money.

If you can't do the latter, start living frugally.

Oh, btw, I did take that money and all the other money saving ideas incorporated into my everyday life...and it did change my life. :)

My 30 yr old daughter suggested we go to lunch the other day at a local cafe. She wanted to share a meal. We ordered water with lemon on the side (free) and we shared a toasted chicken/lettuce/tomato/avocado/bacon triple decker sandwich with fries. Cost including tip $16...we didn't even finish all the food on our plate.
The place was packed with people and so we had to wait a while for our food. No problem..I'm retired, and it was her day off.
She said how proud she was of me, and she bet of everyone there, I was probably worth the most.

This is a beautiful story.
I bet you didn't argue over 50c with her afterwards.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...erson-from-today/story-fnihsrf2-1227022360457

It seems certain restaurant owners don't like people like you!

You're probably right.That is their right, and I would respect it, by not going there.

Here, they don't have a problem.
A couple of days ago, my daughter and I decided to have chinese food.We ordered a combination plate and 2 lemon waters. We said we were going to share. We didn't ask for another plate or anything extra (except for the water)
When the food arrived, the waitress also had 2 extra plates, so we could use the food plate as a platter.
Daughter commented, that back in the 50's this plate would have been enough to feed a family.
We ate what we wanted, and took the remainder home. Rob had it for his dinner. Waitress even gave us 2 fortune cookies. Her tip was still going to be the same, as I don't tip on cost of the meal.

After our lunch, we went to the thrift shop again. Love those fill a 1 L. bag for $2 deals..all new stuff ..shampoo samples/hinges/door knobs/ etc

Dont' have an issue with sharing food....I do this also as some portions are huge. However.....

If the rest of Australia thought like you ....we would be in a recession..thank god they don't.

Spending stimulates the economy.....:D

You're probably right.That is their right, and I would respect it, by not going there.

Here, they don't have a problem.
A couple of days ago, my daughter and I decided to have chinese food.We ordered a combination plate and 2 lemon waters. We said we were going to share. We didn't ask for another plate or anything extra (except for the water)
When the food arrived, the waitress also had 2 extra plates, so we could use the food plate as a platter.
Daughter commented, that back in the 50's this plate would have been enough to feed a family.
We ate what we wanted, and took the remainder home. Rob had it for his dinner. Waitress even gave us 2 fortune cookies. Her tip was still going to be the same, as I don't tip on cost of the meal.

After our lunch, we went to the thrift shop again. Love those fill a 1 L. bag for $2 deals..all new stuff ..shampoo samples/hinges/door knobs/ etc

Dont' have an issue with sharing food....I do this also as some portions are huge. However.....

If the rest of Australia thought like you ....we would be in a recession..thank god they don't.

Spending stimulates the economy.....:D

I stimulate the economy very well, thank you.
In the past 105 days, Rob and I have spent $825 on other food/coffee not consumed at home.

We keep track of our grocery and 'other food' purchases.
We just don't try to waste our money on food to throw away

Wow ....a princely some of $8 a day.....:rolleyes:

With Canadians like you....it might make sense for tourism Australia to invite more Chinese and other Asians to our shores.

I stimulate the economy very well, thank you.
In the past 105 days, Rob and I have spent $825 on other food/coffee not consumed at home.

We keep track of our grocery and 'other food' purchases.
We just don't try to waste our money on food to throw away

Wow ....a princely some of $8 a day.....:rolleyes:

With Canadians like you....it might make sense for tourism Australia to invite more Chinese and other Asians to our shores.

This is in Canada :)
At the grocery store we only spent $737.48 (but only $224.96 came from our wallet, the rest was free...'points')

....in Australia we only spent $608.69 over the 223 days we were there...spent more at the grocery store ($1285.53 ) during that time

so in 328 days we spent $2944.18
averages $8.98 a day for 2 people ($62.84 week)

This is an interesting comment. If everyone was frugal what would happen ?

I will rephrase your question to "If everybody only consumed what they needed what would happen?"

* Everybody would buy less crap
* Everybody wouldn't be as wastefull with energy
* There would be less landfill
* The economy would change/adapt

Isn't everyone buying unnecessary crap one of the main factors our economy actually grows and supports real estate prices growth?

I will rephrase your question to "If everybody only consumed what they needed what would happen?"

* Everybody would buy less crap
* Everybody wouldn't be as wastefull with energy
* There would be less landfill
* The economy would change/adapt

People consuming only what they need would never happen, but interesting to think about

If everyone was like Kath in Aussieland and only spent a pittance...would have a major depression!

Very people in Australia seem to understand economics. The law of money dictates that it circulates...otherwise it is not good

This is why when the feds cut they need to only cut waster which is the services which are not of quilter in terms of pricing. But if they cut massive jobs like Cambo in Qld...that is bad news. Unemployed people will spend like Kathyrn. This in turns results in less employment (see Qld and current employment numbers).

Guess what happens to property!!!

Not being rude....but people who are so tight...have psychological block which is probably due to something which happened in their life or childhood. It manifests in many ways like being tight with money.

The trick is to get the balance right....not overspending but also enjoying lifes luxuries. Otherwise why invest??

This is an interesting comment. If everyone was frugal what would happen ?

Back