Music to sell a house too... Suggestions appreciated

Over the last months the garden's been weeded and mulched , the pavers power sprayed , the house de cluttered and cleaned , the stylists come and waved her wand , the photographer has captured everything in pristine perfection ( isn't ironic how the best your house looks is when you get it ready to sell ) and this weekend our home for the last decade goes on to the market ( sniff sniff....)

All I need to do is chose music to have playing softly in the back ground to tug at the heart strings on the potential buyers so they say " we want this , how much do we have to pay so we can have in NOW !!!! "

The buyer ( I think )will be in their 40's with 2-4 preteen or teenage kids . ( younger than me ....)

The type of songs I want are ones like the Rohnan Keeting's song from notting hill " you say it best , when you say nothing at all " rather than " big spender " .

Any suggestions ? Serious or frivolous :cool:

Cliff

Van Morrison
Eva Cassidy
Diana Krall
Rod Stewart (Great American Songbook type stuff, not "If ya want my body and ya think I'm sexy c'mon sugar let me know...")
James Blunt (Back to Bedlam)

All come to mind as fairly safe options for background music.

Or for the more directly subliminal....

Phllip Phillips ~ Home
Simon & Garfunkel ~ Homeward Bound

Van Morrison
Eva Cassidy
Diana Krall
Rod Stewart (Great American Songbook type stuff, not "If ya want my body and ya think I'm sexy c'mon sugar let me know...")
James Blunt (Back to Bedlam)

All come to mind as fairly safe options for background music.

You might need to spell out which are the serious and the frivolous .;)

I must admit welcome to my nightmare is one of my fav songs but maybe not what I'm looking for . Rod Stewart - probably my least fav big star ...

Van Morrison - Moon dance would be ok

Cliff

The type of songs I want are ones like the Rohnan Keeting's song from notting hill " you say it best , when you say nothing at all "

Okay.... so soppy love songs?

Neil Diamond - Play Me
Nilsson - Without You
Aerosmith - I Don't Want to Miss a Thing
Air Supply - All Out of Love [hehehe]
The Beach Boys - God Only Knows (Reportedly Paul McCartney's favourite song)

how about 'neighbor' by 'ugly kid joe' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j0VygFmf3A

seriously though - I would be curious if music would have an impact on buyers. It probably would on me cause I love music, but others I know can't think if there is music on, and it tends to stress then out if they have to think while music is on...

So with that in mind, I would suggest instrumentals, but then it may feel a bit like a posh place, which may or may not be what you are after.

So with that in mind, I would suggest instrumentals, but then it may feel a bit like a posh place, which may or may not be what you are after.

Or you could play Joe Satriani's classic album "Surfing with the Alien"

On a more serious note ~

Harry Chapin - Cats in the Cradle [beautiful song that might be worth considering seech]

Split Enz - Message to My Girl

Roachford - Lay Your Love on Me

how about 'neighbor' by 'ugly kid joe' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j0VygFmf3A

seriously though - I would be curious if music would have an impact on buyers. It probably would on me cause I love music, but others I know can't think if there is music on, and it tends to stress then out if they have to think while music is on...

It is an upmarket house and I would be surprised if the person who buys it doesn't like music . It has a nice relaxed , bush like setting Music will be on softly and only in a couple of rooms .

I have a recording studio / study and will have songs playing that people are unlikely to have heard eg the sound maker by Gabriela y Rodrigues , Bali run by four play , ( if you haven't heard them check them out ) ,

In the family room , there will be soft music eg when you say nothing at all , moon dance , home ( Michael buble)

I've done it in each house we've sold before . Last one sold in 2 1/2 hours .

Probably doesn't make a difference , but it makes me feel good .

Cliff

More than words , yep

Much as I love cats in the cradle , a song about a father working so hard he misses out on seeing his son grow up probably isn't the message I'm looking for

I'd probably hear it and say , " no , the mortgage will be too much , I want to see the kids play sport ....let's buy the cheaper one around the corner .."

Cliff

Last edited:
To be honest i'd shy away from the music, last thing you want is the perfect buyer to be turned off by whatever you're playing.

Matching property tastes with music is going to reduce the applicable market, than grow it.

Just ask MarkB, he'd cringe if I chose the music. ;)

Money,Money,Money -ABBA

Can't go wrong:p

Hehe .

Could also go for the beetles , money

The best things in life are free
You can keep me for the birds and bees
Just give me money
That's what I want ...

If I was in America I'd have " the house that built me " which is a beautiful song by Miranda lambert . It is country though but cleaned up in the awards a couple of years ago .

Cliff

Cinematic Orchestra (esp To Build A Home - they won't listen to the words closely enough to realise it's sort of a sad song, and it's beautiful :) )

I'd be really put off by the vendor playing music during an inspection. It's a bit of a smarmy and tacky move. Worst still, what if I hated the chosen music? I'm sure I'm not alone on this.

I'd be really put off by the vendor playing music during an inspection. It's a bit of a smarmy and tacky move. Worst still, what if I hated the chosen music? I'm sure I'm not alone on this.

We've done it at previous sales . First one sold in five days . Last one sold in 2 1/2 hours . I'm not asking whether to do it or not , just what songs ...

Soft , non intrusive , on good quality sound system. No different to people having scented candles or recently brewed coffee.

Anyway the house is in sydney , not in boring conservative melbourne ....;)

Cliff

Back