Unit renovation/layout change

OK any opinions on this layout change?

the picture is the old layout. Diagram is the new one I made.

Cheers

Leo

Attachments

• old layout.JPG
    old layout.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 212
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-23 at 6.19.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-23 at 6.19.42 PM.png
    74.9 KB · Views: 220
Some finishes: (Very similar to what is planned)

Bathroom will have same look as the pic attached.

Fire wall pic attached.

Kitchen splash back similar to pic attached.

Bedroom design attached

Please keep in mind this is for an upper class area where units routinely sell for 1m plus. Old units sell 800-900k. Renovated for 1m+

Cheers

Leo

Attachments

• b1.JPG
    b1.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 123
  • feature wall and wardrobe mirror.JPG
    feature wall and wardrobe mirror.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 138
  • k1.JPG
    k1.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 144
  • marblewallfeature.JPG
    marblewallfeature.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 132
Could look at kitchen with built in bench.

http://www.houzz.com/built-in-bench-in-kitchen

Should give you bit more room.

Whats the demographics?

You have taken out bath and replaced with double shower, do people not want baths in the area?

How important is the space in the second bedroom, the master bedroom is pretty big. Could you knock through the wall of the master bedroom and put the built in there. Giving you more room for bedroom 2. Both then pretty usuable rooms.

Also have you put the laundry in with the fridge now?

I would prefer to have the pantry in with the fridge and put the laudry in the cupboard. Euro laundry.

Also the fire place is nice, but how much will it stick out. Will it be taking up extra room. I would prefer to have more of an open space feel.

If you wanted the fire place could you move the door on the master bedroom to the hall like the other doors.

And then put the fireplace on that wall. Will be a nice feature when you walk in.

Hi Brady,

Thanks for your feedback mate.

[QUOE=Brady;1243617]Could look at kitchen with built in bench. yes I agree, actually the bench top does have built ins.

http://www.houzz.com/built-in-bench-in-kitchen

Should give you bit more room.

Whats the demographics? demographic is 25-35, want the glossy, expensive look lifestyle. And they are more than willing to pay for it, according to research. they just throw money, this demographic.

You have taken out bath and replaced with double shower, do people not want baths in the area? From the research, basically a bath was not valued. because the size of the unit is limiting, its hard to make a tub look luxurious. But its much easier to make a walk in, beautifully tiled modern shower, double head look and feel luxurious. Sales back this up for the area.

How important is the space in the second bedroom, the master bedroom is pretty big. Could you knock through the wall of the master bedroom and put the built in there. Giving you more room for bedroom 2. Both then pretty usuable rooms. I wish I could make the second room larger, (although its not that small when u see it) but its just not going to be possible. I don't want to start knocking walls/seek approval for this project. Just not worth it.

Also have you put the laundry in with the fridge now? haha yes initially I thought it wouldn't work, but its actually very functional, increases the room in the kitchen and just works well. I cant take credit for this idea, for it from my designer but I saw similar done in the area. Went for 180k over reserve. lol. Mad market.

I would prefer to have the pantry in with the fridge and put the laudry in the cupboard. Euro laundry.[/QUOTE]

the cupboard would be too small to fit the laundry though..

Also the fire place is nice, but how much will it stick out. Will it be taking up extra room. I would prefer to have more of an open space feel.

I had the same queries mate. Its actually going to be recessed in the wall so it will barely come out at all.

If you wanted the fire place could you move the door on the master bedroom to the hall like the other doors.

And then put the fireplace on that wall. Will be a nice feature when you walk in.

hmm possibly.. I think I would rather keep it in the living room.. more visual and more of a 'show off' to guests toy. yes, yes its childish, but so is this demographic hehe :)

Refer to dodgy sketch of what I'm referring to.

Thanks for the diagram!

Now I see what u mean about the fireplace location. its very interesting....ill def consider it mate. but keep in mind it wont be jutting out much at all. Any other ideas what to put on that wall that u suggested to put the fire place? If I could have a flat screen fish tank...cold be amazing...hehe

With regards to the laundry in pantry.. I just don't think it can fit..also piping might be an issue.

Yeah having the fireplace there will still give you the wow factor as you walk in, maybe even more so there. Will have minimal impact on the space as well.

If you aren't going to have the fireplace there would be perfect spot for a nice big piece of artwork.

If you could get the pantry next to fridge I think it's a huge plus, personally I wouldn't like having to walk around each time I needed something. Also personally would prefer cook top in the middle of the bench in line with table rather then in the corner, give room either side whilst cooking.

Also not sure what you're planning regarding over/cooktop but look for a 900mm cooktop and keep the oven down to 600mm if required. If you're targeting the market that wants flashy a 900 cooktop will be a plus and you dont want it hidden in a corner.

Yeah having the fireplace there will still give you the wow factor as you walk in, maybe even more so there. Will have minimal impact on the space as well. Mate you are right. Stupid me was thinking of a different side wall to the one you did in the diagram! How brain dead am I lol. yes I like it now very much. Only thing I reckon. When you walk in the unit it will be highly visible. also highly visible for most of the seats on the dining table. Less visible for the couch. I think you win with design visibility mate :D

If you aren't going to have the fireplace there would be perfect spot for a nice big piece of artwork. Agreed. But since your idea, I might just move it there.

If you could get the pantry next to fridge I think it's a huge plus, personally I wouldn't like having to walk around each time I needed something. I am just not sure if its feasible but i will have a look/consult some people.

Also personally would prefer cook top in the middle of the bench in line with table rather then in the corner, give room either side whilst cooking. hmm OK makes sense. Will talk to designer to draw up some alternative locations.

Also not sure what you're planning regarding over/cooktop but look for a 900mm cooktop and keep the oven down to 600mm if required. If you're targeting the market that wants flashy a 900 cooktop will be a plus and you dont want it hidden in a corner. That's exactly the plan! Cheers mate! I think its a good mixture of size appliances and fits the kitchen/demographic well.[/QUOE]

Thanks so much Brady - I really appreciate your feedback!

Leo

I'll preface this by saying I'm not a fan of feeling like I'm dining in the kitchen. Also, the reality is that if you're entertaining, you don't really want to have your back to your guests....so...

I think you can do a lot less with the kitchen & have it more functional.

I would leave the basic layout the same:
  • sink
  • stove
  • bench

You could either leave the fridge where it is and put a pantry in the laundry or turn the fridge place into a pantry and put the fridge in the laundry as you have illustrated.

If you go with the layout you have suggested, the bench behind the dining table seems largely unusable. Whereas if you leave the bench where it is you can use it as prep / serving area.

I'm guessing you're losing the laundry tub & instead putting in washer then dryer over? I think that's smart.

It would be enough to stop me buying the place to put the pantry where you have put it. Having to walk around every time would drive me crazy. You've also used the only storage in the place. Where does everything else go? Linen etc.

I'll preface this by saying I'm not a fan of feeling like I'm dining in the kitchen. (I understand that and personally I am not too, I am just going by what was designed in the area, similar size, similar design and achieved great sale prices). Also, the reality is that if you're entertaining, you don't really want to have your back to your guests....so...its a unit...:) something has got to give..hehe but I know what u mean.
I think you can do a lot less with the kitchen & have it more functional.

I would leave the basic layout the same:
  • sink
  • stove
  • bench
According to the research/designs/sales I think the layout will really meet the market.

You could either leave the fridge where it is(if I did this the whole kitchen will look smaller because the fridge juts out, so by getting rid of it in there it actually changes the look/size of the kitchen.) and put a pantry in the laundry or turn the fridge place into a pantry and put the fridge in the laundry as you have illustrated.

If you go with the layout you have suggested, the bench behind the dining table seems largely unusable. The diagram is not to scale. I know what you mean it looks too close to the chairs but in reality there is enough room to walk through comfortably. Whereas if you leave the bench where it is you can use it as prep / serving area. (hmm I think the unit is too small to make that return bench functional, especially when there is a dining table there.)
I'm guessing you're losing the laundry tub & instead putting in washer then dryer over? I think that's smart. yep that's the idea :)

It would be enough to stop me buying the place to put the pantry where you have put it. Having to walk around every time would drive me crazy. You've also used the only storage in the place. Where does everything else go? Linen etc.
there will actually be more linen/storage space in some of the bench tops below, this space is provided under the benches that is facing directly across to the balcony. I don't think there will be a shortage of linen/storage space. There will be cupboards all the way up to the wall on the oven side so ample space for kitchen storage as well.

I really appreciate your feedback! I am going to see if I can move the linen as per your suggestion.. but I just don't think its feasible.

Cheers!
Leo

its hard to make a tub look luxurious. But its much easier to make a walk in, beautifully tiled modern shower, double head look and feel luxurious. Sales back this up for the area.
If you had room and wanted a nice tub, you could go with something like this:
$_1.JPG

You need room though, which you don't have on this project.

If you had room and wanted a nice tub, you could go with something like this:
$_1.JPG

You need room though, which you don't have on this project.

Hi Perth guy, thanks for your response and pics mate.

yeah they are nice.. just as you mentioned the space wont really allow it... all I could fit would be the standard smaller tub..no wow factor really.

Cheers mate

leo

Hey Leo,

I love the marble! I have many images filed away on Pinterest with a similar look you are going for. It's definitely going to look pretty stunning when finished.
Can I ask what another finishes you are looking at using apart from the marble (eg floors)? Sorry, not meaning to detract from the layout question you had (and apologies I cannot be of much help there!)

Hope to see some photos once you are finished.
All the best!

Leo, a few alternative suggestions/comments:
  • Don't lose the bath (even if you just put in a basic spa, better than nothing and essential if it is a 2 bedder/family friendly FHB market)
  • Lose the separate laundry and make it part of the kitchen (all hidden/built-in) - get rid of the nib wall adjacent to the stove
  • Lose the laundry sink & replace with a butler's sink/prep area ustilising existing drainage
  • Need some space for the fridge
  • Great use of the cupboards in the entry but impractical as a pantry as it is too far removed from the kitchen area - better use may be as general storage
  • Does the market want a kosher kitchen ie 2nd stove etc?

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your feedback mate!

[QUTE=Scott No Mates;1243937]Leo, a few alternative suggestions/comments:
  • Don't lose the bath (even if you just put in a basic spa, better than nothing and essential if it is a 2 bedder/family friendly FHB market). Its not purely a FHB market. The market im catering to really want all the glitz and glam (as much as possible in a 85sqm unit) and the best sales prices have reflected this. There have been quite a few high sales where they just didn't have a bathtub and used the extra space for 'wow' factors eg nicer vanity, shower space etc. That was my rationale to get rid of it mate.

• Lose the separate laundry and make it part of the kitchen (all hidden/built-in) - get rid of the nib wall adjacent to the stove. I would like to get rid of the nib I agree but unfortunately strata just wont allow it. I have tried and tried..its just not going to be allowed..

• Lose the laundry sink & replace with a butler's sink/prep area ustilising existing drainage. That sink is actually going and there is going to be a washer/dryer stacked there.

• Need some space for the fridge. I was concerned too about that. I measured it but as long as we have a fridge that opened from left to right it wont be an issue. French door fridges would also work.

• Great use of the cupboards in the entry but impractical as a pantry as it is too far removed from the kitchen area - I just realised that when I say pantry, I actually meant just normal storage space. Don't know why I typed pantry there. The kitchen definitely has enough pantry space,
    ]Does the market want a kosher kitchen ie 2nd stove etc? yes this is a 100% must :) There are a large amount of Jews living I this suburb and they want double sink for dietary reasons.
[/QUOTE]

I appreciate your feedback/queries Scott! keeps me on my toes!

Thanks

Leo

Hey Leo,

I love the marble! I have many images filed away on Pinterest with a similar look you are going for. It's definitely going to look pretty stunning when finished.
Can I ask what another finishes you are looking at using apart from the marble (eg floors)? Sorry, not meaning to detract from the layout question you had (and apologies I cannot be of much help there!)

Hope to see some photos once you are finished.
All the best!

Hi Onyx, Thanks for your comments/feedback.

With regards to the flooring for the unit we are going with wooden panels like the pic attached and same color. For bathroom floor tiles we are getting the greyish one in the pic.

Cheers

Leo

Attachments

• Vinyl PLanking.JPG
    Vinyl PLanking.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 82
  • darker color for a strip.JPG
    darker color for a strip.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 99
The biggest value add I can see is removing the laundry walls and cupboard space. Add an European laundry to the east wall. But that wold depend on if these walls were structural or not.

Back