Will Brisbane outperform Sydney over the next 12 months?

Will Brisbane dwelling values outperform Sydney over the next 12 months?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The other dynamic in Brisbane is that (again, in my humble opinion only), I've observed different housing stock behaviours. People there appear to be more adverse to apartment living; they still value back yards, more space, pet-friendly etc. much more than most top-dollar-job-obsessed folks in Sydney, and I think they still value houses over units in many parts.

This is my observations as well. Some of this is attributable to cultural differences also some to supply and affordability constraints in Sydney.

This is my observations as well. Some of this is attributable to cultural differences also some to supply and affordability constraints in Sydney.

Correct, therefore investing a house & land package in Brisbane or in QLD state will be a good choice for a capital gain purpose in the next 5 years onwards.

Hey....mate...you are cutting my grass... ;)

Why would you possibly warn the punters of the impeding issues regarding apartments in Sydney. After all I want to be buying these for a song! :D

In all seriousness you are absolutely correct.:p

What is personally more concerning in my humble observation is the sheer volume of apartments and units (12-packs and 18-packs mostly - with little to no parking!) That are popping up everywhere in Sydney'spoor-access suburbs in the 10km, 20km, 30km, 40km suburbs. A lot of these areas are family 'heartland' and developers cramming way too many small units into these areas is a red flag for me. So I point the question back at Sydney and ask "who is going to live in this new block of 1-bed, 0-parking units that is built 27km from the city (and is 3+ km from the nearest train station, and takes 3x connecting buses to get to cbd via public transport etc.).

Too me, that presents as a great risk for metro Sydney. Like I said, they are doing the right thing and building 'up' in the areas where it is most needed (I.e. inner ring, and then on train nodes in the suburban network), that doesn't concern me. It's the alarming volume of units being built in far flung, difficult to access suburbs, on teeny tiny skerricks of land, that concerns me. In this sense, I think pockets of Sydney will see an oversupply. I know I'll cop a lot of flack for suggesting that ANY of Sydney +50km could have a risk of oversupply, but its about building the right stock type in the right areas; something that I'm not sure is being done.

Brisbane is (somewhat ) more sensible at the moment but faces different challenges. I'd argue that units are being built in mostly the right places for the right demo's, but at too big a scale based on population growth predictions. The other dynamic in Brisbane is that (again, in my humble opinion only), I've observed different housing stock behaviours. People there appear to be more adverse to apartment living; they still value back yards, more space, pet-friendly etc. much more than most top-dollar-job-obsessed folks in Sydney, and I think they still value houses over units in many parts.

Correct, therefore investing a house & land package in Brisbane or in QLD state will be a good choice for a capital gain purpose in the next 5 years onwards.

I wouldn't say it's as simple as that.

New H&L are usually is secondary locations. At the end of the day..ie long term, location will usually come out on top of the cg list. If you can get established h and l in a good location, by all means...But they will likely cost you more.

There is a much bigger oversupply problem of apartments in Brisbane than Sydney.

Yes, oversupply of new apartments is more in brisbane compared to Sydney. This is because sydney has the expected pop growth to absorb the demand and also because of supply and affordability constraints of other dwelling types in Sydney .
Not so compared to Melbourne as the scale is just too large .

Having said that, anyone care to join me in hyping southbank/Docklands OTP?:D I'd love to compete with all that dodgy overseas money for those...

It's not just population. Sydney's apartments are more spread out where's as a lot of Brisbane's are in the CBD...and Brisbane CBD is nowhere near as nice to spend after work hours and weekends as Sydney and Melbourne CBD's.

Sydney's apartment building is quite the opposite really - there's literally only a few of them being built in the CBD because there's such little land. Most of them are spread throughout the whole city, in satellite suburbs like Chatswood, Burwood etc, so it's not all targeting the same market of people who want to live in the CBD.

Brisbane's problem is both volume of stock AND concentration in the same area. The latter is what a lot of observers ignore when comparing it to Sydney.

I would be watchful OTP apartments in Sydney, especially when Chinese stock are down 20%, so they may be subjected to frequent margin calls, perhaps requiring then to recover invested funds from Sydney OTP?
Also, Greece default may soon dictate short term consequences on most lending criteria and whether the lending countries would need to figure out how to write off the bad debts?????
Interesting times ahead, indeed....:eek:

I would be watchful OTP apartments in Sydney, especially when Chinese stock are down 20%, so they may be subjected to frequent margin calls, perhaps requiring then to recover invested funds from Sydney OTP?
Also, Greece default may soon dictate short term consequences on most lending criteria and whether the lending countries would need to figure out how to write off the bad debts?????
Interesting times ahead, indeed....:eek:

Cool, thanks for the update on the Macro economics :)

Let's hope that the property in Sydney can be corrected into 20-30% cheaper so that first home buyer can finally enter the market.

Back