Which Sydney suburbs are the best for investmant ?

buy land

There's a fibro house on 600m2 land near me at Holsworthy you could buy for $360 k . It's a three bedroomed house and you could put a granny flat in the back yard later on. I'd buy land over a unit. Anyway you won't get a two bedroom flat in sydney for 300k anywhere within cooee of city. They have them around the Liverpool area but it really is not very nice. My only suggestion is Campbelltown area. Good luck.

I wanna buy 2 bedroom unit around 300k$ for investment in sydney.which suburbs do you recommend?please advise me
It does not work like that here on the SS forum, Alex. (welcome btw)

If you want free info, then do some of your own research, and come back and post "I've discovered x, y & z suburb units for under $300K, anybody have any thoughts on which would be better?"

This will get you some decent responses.
But no-one is going to do all this research for you ;)

It does not work like that here on the SS forum, Alex. (welcome btw)

If you want free info, then do some of your own research, and come back and post "I've discovered x, y & z suburb units for under $300K, anybody have any thoughts on which would be better?"

This will get you some decent responses.
But no-one is going to do all this research for you ;)

True.

That's the virtually the same response I received when I joined and posted my first "where should I buy" question! :eek:

But all good now - I've learnt so much from all the generous people here.

According to RP Data the percentage of Sydney suburbs with a median unit price of under $300,000.00 is 16.2%

source

Google is also your friend ;)

the top five suburbs for sales under $300000 were Liverpool, Blacktown, Mount Druitt, Penrith and Lakemba

And its 4.2% here which ties in with the title of the article

Doing your homework is vital before leaping into property's bottom end

For example, in Sydney, the top five suburbs for sales under $300,000 were Liverpool, Blacktown, Mount Druitt, Penrith and Lakemba.

But in Liverpool only eight of the 303 sales were houses, the rest being units. This was the case in every suburb in the top 20, except Gorokan in the Wyong area, which had 142 house sales and 35 unit sales.

In NSW regional areas, the figures showed almost the opposite.

In the regions, which included Dubbo, Orange, Goulburn and Taree, the number of house sales was considerably higher than that of units. The only places where units outnumbered houses in sales under $300,000 were the coastal towns of Port Macquarie and Coffs Harbour.

But price is not the only factor, especially for investors. Rental outlook and eventually a capital gain are other considerations.

Valuation firm Herron Todd White's recent monthly review, which looked at where investors were buying, confirmed most investment properties on the mid-north coast's main regional towns, such as Forster, Taree, Port Macquarie and Kempsey, were priced under $400,000 and rent for $150 to $400 a week gross.

Cont...

Sydney is indeed an expensive market, but (in my humble opinion), one of the most prosperous in terms of rent return and general vacancy.

Rentals are scarce in Sydney and this bumps up the demand (hence bumping up the rent costs with it).

I guess it really comes down to your budget and also capability to maintain the properties. With a sub-$300K property you're really looking at either houses in the outer rings (25-50km from CBD) or units in the middle-outer rings (15-50km from CBD).

I wrote an article about things to look for when purchasing units, and it's really worth a read. Some things are obvious, others not so much...

Last edited by a moderator:
Gosford

I often consider Gosford to be an outlying suburb of Sydney. The time it takes to get from gosford to sydney is similar to getting to campbelltown, penrith, etc.

In gosford, you can have a good selection of units for the 300k range with rental yields of about 5 per cent gross.

Me, I would be looking at houses close to Sydney e.g. lower north shore, inner west. I think these are better investment prospects but require a larger budget.

Considering Gosford myself - especially if the waterfront development takes off. Also, the nearby the beach suburbs of Wamberal, Terrigal, North Avoca. Very low vacancy rates...

Where to buy?

Hiya

My IP in Ambarvale (near Campbelltown) standard 3 bedder is rented for 380K...:eek:nothing flash mind you but near the giant Macarthur Square...you could try South West Sydney ...don't be afraid to venture out...:)

I reckon it was Prop's fault. You know - with all the "it doesn't work that way" stuff? Sounded too much like Arnie in Terminator describing 'schtabbing veppons'. :eek:

Buy the smallest place in Surry Hills you can find, apparently. I just read that a 2-storey, 1 bedroom terrace on 37m2 of land (with internal ground floor parking!) sold recently for $539,000. That's over $14,500 per m2! (The suburb average is apparently $8,500 /m2) It's here - realestate.com

Hiya

My IP in Ambarvale (near Campbelltown) standard 3 bedder is rented for 380K...:eek:nothing flash mind you but near the giant Macarthur Square...you could try South West Sydney ...don't be afraid to venture out...:)

Hi Virgo

It appears that yields are heaps better in Western Sydney compared to the South West - rents appear lower there. Do you think there is prospect of improvement in rental yeilds as western sydney becomes more expensive?

thanks
Mona

Western Sydney

Hi Mona Lisa

I have Ips in both Western Sydney and South West Sydney myself....i think when you say west sydney it covers a wide area..??

My favourite area is around the Parramatta surrounds...rents are very strong and my IP (in Greystanes) never remain vacant...

I know there are many investors who have ventured into the Mount Druitt area and are doing well too...but for me, i have not been there myself..

End of the day, whether it is West or SW Sydney, it all depends on the deal and also whether you want a bit of diversification...

Hope that helps:)

Hi Mona Lisa

I have Ips in both Western Sydney and South West Sydney myself....i think when you say west sydney it covers a wide area..??

My favourite area is around the Parramatta surrounds...rents are very strong and my IP (in Greystanes) never remain vacant...

I know there are many investors who have ventured into the Mount Druitt area and are doing well too...but for me, i have not been there myself..

End of the day, whether it is West or SW Sydney, it all depends on the deal and also whether you want a bit of diversification...

Hope that helps:)

Thanks Virgo :)

We like Mount Druitt - so have been focussing there. We live near Para - and love the area, but think given we are in early stages, we do not have the capital to purchase here - and even if we were to put down 5%, we will be heavily negatively geared - which I think may impact our purchasing ability going forward.

With Greystanes - I used to think there is no train station, and west bus transport (which is expensive) makes it not so appealing to tenants.

We are hoping to research the South West once we have purchased our next one.

Back