Buying a boarding house

Okay gang - have exchanged on a boarding house and it will go unconditional next week. Of course now I am getting close I am second guessing my decisions!

Property was found through private sale of another boarding house so didn't go to market. It's CBD of a major regional town (pop 60 000) and the house is currently a horrible place filled with ex parolees and assorted others with a chip on their shoulder. During my stay in the building for the pest and building inspection I ended up barricaded in a room wit a cupboard against the door as all these drunk men raged angry at the sale.

It's currently turning over 200K+ a year as it has "30 rooms" - but only 10-20 used often and the rest are in various states of repair. There is an extension of five rooms that is falling down so may have to be knocked down. Plus some of the other rooms are actual old stables not really suitable as rooms. But that 200K is coming from 10-15 good rooms mostly. Price is $570K including furniture for 30 room. Valuation came in at $550-600K for property alone, not business.

Building is 80 years old. Pretty awful condition. But on 1200m2 of land with rear lane access a block from CBD. DA for 5 townhouses has been lodged previously but now expired. Appriased at being able to rent for $430 a week if used as a residential house (would need work to make it a family house)

I am interested as I see it as buying an income for 10-15 years for myself to see my kid through school. Run the way it is now profit is around $150K as no maintenance has been done, no staff are employed, no money reinvested at all. Bills paid but that's it. I see potential to get the occupancy up closer to 50% or more by having vacant possession with all ferals gone and making it more a guesthouse like the ones I have in Sydney. I think structurally there may not be much point investing too much in trying to bring it back to its glory but rather focus on cosmetic changes to make it look nicer, managed right and preside over the decline of the old building while thinking about redevelopment options.

It would need about 50K worth of fire upgrades but there are grants available to cover that. Can be used as a business straight away with a good scrub. Unlimited amount could be poured into it.

I think if I move in for a few years, manage myself might get it up over $250K turnover. If I did absent management I could pay staff and probably still get 100K "passive" profit (there are always dramas with guesthouses so being totally hands off 100% of the time is hard but maybe a few hours work a week at least).

What questions should I be asking myself? What kind of DD would you have done - trying to see if I missed anything?

Finance. Have wording in the finance clause that says if funds aren't available at settlement I can exit and retain deposit. Did that to cover myself since it's not a standard house and in case finance was approved, then withdrawn for any reason. Have a good broker from the forums so think that's the best resource to cover financing.

So if property valuation is 550-600k and up at 570k,why is vendor giving away the business?
My understanding was commercial value would be reached by using NOI /cap rate method?
If I am correct then surely you could almost immediately revalue and net a substantial equity gain.

Yes, I have been asking myself why someone would sell for that price with that income and without putting it on the market. Owner says he is in a hurry to gather all of his cash for a big development so has sold his two boarding houses - he owned this one outright.

I believe that but I do think there was an element of hoping for a sucker who didn't research - originally asked $670K but I got him to sign a form allowing me access to council records about the place and saw that he had recently been told to upgrade the place to meet modern fire safety standards. He was not happy I found out about that as it is a huge expense payable next few months, and the grant will own pay back over say five years.

Also there has been some attempt to hide faults in the building - locking rooms that were really bad (needles in carpet!), putting furniture over a hole in the floorboards, sticking up mirrors over a punch in a wall, fixing all the doors so they close well but attempts to hide some minor issues with foundations.

Biggest issue is also the tenants and the on site "manager" who is just another tenant. Violent, rough, some recent parolees - inspection was almost impossible and it might require a police effort to ensure vacant possession and I'm not convinced they won't just burn the place down before settlement rather than leave. I think he was hoping a quiet sale might be the only way to go with tenants - quick settlement, they don't know it's coming. Until I turned up for B&P they didn't know it was happening which is why they started to riot and abuse me. Looks like I'll need to pay security when I move in to start the clean up.

Then there is the reputation in town - he was asking the higher price as goodwill but I went and spoke to real estate agents, regular shopkeepers, folk in the street and the visitors information centre and was basically told the place had the worst reputation and no one would ever recommend anyone stay there. Plus he had spoiled all business relations with charities and the like who used to send people to him and pay their rent.

Even with all of that I still think it was a dumb move to sell privately and I am hoping a cosmetic reno, plus a new business in place earning similar money would see a revalue under capitalization method show a much higher figure. Also it is the middle property next to two corner blocks so hoping to sit on the place and over time maybe buy the place on either side to make it more attractive to developers.

What a fantastic opportunity you have !!

We bought an 11 unit family building..and found out later of the bad reputation.

We cleaned out the building, which wasn't hard..but it was 1/2 vacant when we bought.
Did lots of cleaning, sprucing up..and repairs.

For you, I'd suggest you request vacant possession.
Clean up the place..and make safe.

Then start advertising..maybe have an open house and show the local business owners the 'new place'.

Be strict and fair with tenants.
No one wants to stay in an unsafe place.

It will take time to turn things around ...5 years wouldn't be unreasonable.

Owning a boarding house is one thing I would love.
Some day maybe.

Thanks Kathryn. I run two boarding houses now on commercial leases and have a love-hate relationship with them. There is a peculiar mindset amongst the type of traditional boarding house tenant that is really hard to cope with so have to get distance at times. So making sure I have a backup plan if I need to employ staff to keep me sane. Plus of course try hard not to take on the really scary tenants in the first place! Vacant possession is the go for sure. Although been talking with my lawyer about scenarios if they damage or burn the place down prior to settlement, or vandalise after, or refuse to vacate and how we deal with all those things!

Thanks Kathryn. I run two boarding houses now on commercial leases and have a love-hate relationship with them. There is a peculiar mindset amongst the type of traditional boarding house tenant that is really hard to cope with so have to get distance at times. So making sure I have a backup plan if I need to employ staff to keep me sane. Plus of course try hard not to take on the really scary tenants in the first place! Vacant possession is the go for sure. Although been talking with my lawyer about scenarios if they damage or burn the place down prior to settlement, or vandalise after, or refuse to vacate and how we deal with all those things!

I admire yourelf and Kathryn's courage in taking on boarding houses and the tenants affiliated with such things. Must be like running pubs and brothel type businesses wherein a lot of security and "muscle" is required all the time to evict the paying customer and collect rent from them.

I thought until just prior to settlement I didn't need insurance as I don't own it yet and thus if it burns down it's on the vendor. Lawyer says to have it all done 10 day prior to be safe.

When you exchange contracts and pay a deposit, you have taken a financial stake in the property. If the existing tenants do cause some mischief and the current owner has no insurance, it could become a headache. I would get onto an insurance company now. I suspect there would be some who would issue a cover note and you would start paying premiums upon settlement.

I saw that Frankston one during my search. What drew me to the one I picked was the ability to increase income because of number of rooms - Frankston doesn't have many rooms. And although I could only imagine the calibre of tenants I'd say it's same as mine which is pretty darn rough.

I own and operate a boarding house in Tasmania and deal with the lower socioeconomic clientele!!!

We have a strict NO DRUGS or ALCOHOL to be used consumed or kept on the premises a breach results in immediate eviction and a black ban on returning ever!!! Each room has a basic list of House Rules to follow and these are verbalized to all new residents at checkin!!!

I find we have good periods and not so good periods depending on the mix of residents and there various nuances!!!

The first 4.5yrs i had a live in caretaker pretty much doing everything i just did the books and maintenance/reno work when needed. Caretaker pulled the pin so partner and i moved in and ran it for 18 months until we decided to move to Melbourne now have a caretaker in place and seems to be operating smoothly ATM (touchwood)!!!:)

Finance can be a real pain in the rear LVR will be anywhere between 30 - 50% and most will want regular commercial revals at your expense every 1-2yrs!!!

Taking vacant possession sounds good but will really hurt the hip pocket especially if it has a bad reputation???

Personally i would take it on as is and work out whos who in the zoo get rid of the deadwood as it surfaces!!!

These types of clientele if treated with a little bit of respect and dignity you will find most (not all) will respond and can be quite ok to deal with as for most of them these types of places are pretty much the end of the line b4 ending up on the streets!!!

Taking vacant possession sounds good but will really hurt the hip pocket especially if it has a bad reputation???

Personally i would take it on as is and work out whos who in the zoo get rid of the deadwood as it surfaces!!!

These types of clientele if treated with a little bit of respect and dignity you will find most (not all) will respond and can be quite ok to deal with as for most of them these types of places are pretty much the end of the line b4 ending up on the streets!!!

That may be true, but when you are just doing a pest and building inspection, and already barracading yourself away from the tenants, imagine what it would be like if he actually had to evict one !

Easier to start with a clean slate. People would be more apt to rent there, when the current rift raft are gone.

Throw out all mattresses, carpets, curtains. Start fresh.

Depending on the type of tenants you are trying to attract, you can adjust your advertising to.
Put a big sign on the lawn, stating what you are offering.

In 2008 we stayed at Kristkindl Guesthouse, Tempe, NSW. It was a converted school. Very basic, but clean accommodations. (do a google)
Their rates started at 24 p/n. We paid $300 for the week, which also included a free breakfast (cereals,breads,jams/spreads). We were thrilled.

It also had a 'see food' fridge. If you 'see food', you can help yourself. It was food they brought back from the local shopping mart food court, a couple times a week...donuts, pizza slices etc(not sure if they paid, or it was donated)
This may not seem like a lot, but it was greatly appreciated by everyone.

This place had several types of rooms. Single beds, double beds, twin beds, dorm rooms. Depending on the lenght of stay, was the price you paid.
All clients were offered free airport pickup. (because Rob gave them helpful advice to save money on their leaky hot water heater, they also took us back to the airport at 6 am)

Complimentary tea/coffee always available.
Communal kitchen to prepare meals. A fridge to store a small amount of food.
TV in a communal room.

Plenty of rules. No alcohol or drugs permitted. No swearing or abuse tolerated. Encouraged people to be friendly to each other. If you locked yourself out, there was a $50 charge.If you locked out after 10 pm, come back in the morning.

Depending on the client, they also required a deposit on towels and dishes (each person got a dish place setting)

One person had been there for 9 years, and worked at the airport.
Others were a mixture of tourists like us, and new arrivals to the area and starting new jobs.

If I was to have a boarding house, I'd do it this way.

Upgrade!

Dear Elliotte,

Good on you for having a go!
I am thrilled to hear of your get up and go!
As it hasn't had anything done on it for ages, have a check up about about S70, (fire regs), does it need fire doors? these cost a bit:(
Also from the minute you have exchanged contracts take out your insurance.(previously mentioned)

Perhaps check about the kind of usage permission you have.
Is it 'existing use rights'?
If you chuck out the current incumbents, and have it vacant, do you lose your existing use rights?

I hope this helps
Cheers
SeafordSunshine

Back