PM fees western australia

Is it just me, or are WA PM fees high?

Every IP I have owned , I have used a PM only because I work away and finding the time to do the running around and doing tenant checks, also if there was an issue with the property it can be dealt with quickly etc I felt it was easier and less hassling to pay someone a fee to do this for me.

Recently purchasing an IP in Perth, well im starting to think Im better of printing off a REIWA lease agreement, taking some pictures/advertising, having landlords insurance and doing this myself.

On a $500pw property , looking at approx $310-$350 P/month in fees.
Letting Fees, Leasing fees( 2weeks rent), Management fees, Inspections etc
or all inclusive for around 17% (ray white)

what are other peoples experience with this, is it a case of dry the eyes princess and welcome to IP in WA? or have other investors done the work themselves and what were some outcomes?

Any input appreciated.

Cheers

Wirra :)

4 properties, average 12.16%

Prop 1 : Rent $14965, Mgt fee $2288
Prop 2 : Rent $18640, Mgt fee $2147
Prop 3 : Rent $15359, Mgt fee $1718
Prop 4 : Rent $17135, Mgt fee $1887

Rent $24,000 Mgt Fee $ 3900 approx 16% of income?

I am including the Lease Fee and Letting fees. If I take them out we are around the 12%

Are you going through a real estate agent? or an IP management company?

I have checked with 5 PM's so far all around the same rates. :eek:

like i said , could be a case of " dry the eyes princess" haha

Last edited:
I get 8% and 1 week letting fee - southern suburbs. And I've heard of other agencies with even better deals.

There are some around the place.

Is it just me, or are WA PM fees high?

Every IP I have owned , I have used a PM only because I work away and finding the time to do the running around and doing tenant checks, also if there was an issue with the property it can be dealt with quickly etc I felt it was easier and less hassling to pay someone a fee to do this for me.

Recently purchasing an IP in Perth, well im starting to think Im better of printing off a REIWA lease agreement, taking some pictures/advertising, having landlords insurance and doing this myself.

On a $500pw property , looking at approx $310-$350 P/month in fees.
Letting Fees, Leasing fees( 2weeks rent), Management fees, Inspections etc
or all inclusive for around 17% (ray white)

what are other peoples experience with this, is it a case of dry the eyes princess and welcome to IP in WA? or have other investors done the work themselves and what were some outcomes?

Any input appreciated.

Cheers

Wirra :)

Hi Wirra

1. What's the actual fees in dot point?
2. You can do better

Fees are negotiable, you'll also find the more IP's, the more leverage

Fees, I will put down two examples:

Management fee: 8.5%+GST.
Letting Fee: 2 weeks rent
Lease renewal: 1 weeks rent.
Inspections: $55
Bond Inspection: $93.50
Postage/Petites: $8.25
Property Condition Report: $165
Marketing: $99

Management fee: 9.35%
Lease renewal: $110
Inspections: $66
Bond Inspection: $110
Postage/Petites: $10.25
Property Condition Report: $200
Marketing: $70

with other small costs here and there, works out both to around 16% of income if you include the letting fees, and around 12% without.

other places differ here and there but all end up around the same mark.

Fees, I will put down two examples:

Management fee: 8.5%+GST.
Lease renewal: 1 weeks rent.
Inspections: $55
Bond Inspection: $93.50
Postage/Petites: $8.25
Property Condition Report: $165
Marketing: $99

Management fee: 9.35%
Lease renewal: $110
Inspections: $66
Bond Inspection: $110
Postage/Petites: $10.25
Property Condition Report: $200
Marketing: $70

with other small costs here and there, works out both to around 16% of income if you include the letting fees, and around 12% without.

other places differ here and there but all end up around the same mark.

Geez Wirra, that's steep either way you look at it

Property Managers from other states must salivate at that, or think how are they getting away with it?

With the Management Fee 8.5% + GST is 9.35% in the second example anyhow

We don't pay 2 weeks Letting fee on any of our WA Properties. Letting fee's used to be equal to 1 weeks rent for the tenant and 1 weeks rent for the landlord. When letting fee's, as charged to tenants, were abolished in 2007, many local PM's thought it best to hit the landlord up for the fee, rather than miss a weeks worth of cream, and many landlords accepted it.

Your whole list above is negotiable including inspection periods, after all whats the difference between an inspection every three months (standard in WA) or every four months?

Postage & Petties, I think email and the management fee should cover that?

With regards to fees, there have been some great posts on the forum about companies who teach property management firms how to milk every last drop

Having investments in other states brings a dose of reality, as they say, WA is Property Management (Fee) Heaven

Yes Perth is a rip off.

I have had managers in Perth charge very similar fees for very bad levels of service. It seems they charge for everything, including a monthly sundry fee for telephone and letters! Wtf?

This is in contrast to Melbourne where I pay a flat fee of 5% and that's it! Everything else included and the service couldn't be better.

WA needs a wake up call.

WA needs a wake up call.

Hi James

well,get to it and find some business partners

there is obviously significant money to be made and better service to be offered.

Its my view that in most things in OZ,we have a reasonably efficient market

If someones pricing is exploiting an area, then someone new will fill that gap pretty quickly

ta
rolf

It's amazing no-one in WA has stepped up to open a property management service and undercut everyone. They would cream it if they charged a flat 10%. Rent roll of 200 properties rented for average of $400pw gives annual income of $416,000. Employ 3 property managers to work from home on $60k each a year and pocket the rest. I pay 4.4% in Melbourne, 6.6% in Queensland and 8% in Thailand for all inclusive service and these guys all have offices.

It's amazing no-one in WA has stepped up to open a property management service and undercut everyone. They would cream it if they charged a flat 10%.

Hahaha....that was our business idea about 10 years ago.

We thought there's something 'right' about charging a flat 10% fee....no more to pay, no list of 15 charges.....all those pi22y little charges to actually do something over and above the PM fee, which seems to be the cake, and then they charge you extra if they actually do anything.

It didn't fly....you haven't taken into account all of the costs and whinging. The wife got her PM ticket, but that's no good....without a full blown tri-ennial certificate you can't start up a business.

Upon further inspection, it was a farce so we dropped it.

Flat 10% does not "cream it."

Last edited:
It's amazing no-one in WA has stepped up to open a property management service and undercut everyone.

I was looking to try and do it but unfortunately I would have needed a full license and triennial certificate even for just a PM business.

Too expensive just for that.

With the last Financial Year and looking at Agents Expenses from Total Income it worked out to be 12.35% for us

Wow, that really adds up! So you probably earn about $12,000 in wages gross to pay the $8,040?

Back