Building with Metricon...Good or Bad?

The BEST display homes I've ever witnessed!
Probably the only area that I can pick with them is that the display homes are that good re:interior design/ atmospherics that to replicate for an investment property would be overcapitalising in most areas.

They're all glossy brochures and colour coordinated by interior decorators. That's the only reason they appear better than the others. To give them credit, they're probably approach them game as marketers rather than builders. Sell them dream even though that dream would be a couple of hundred thousand more than standard.

I reckon when choosing a project home just go for the best layout and ignore all the bells and whistles. Put them in if you want but don't be sold on "the dream". Quality wise they're all pretty much the same because they all pull from the same subcontractor pool.

They're all glossy brochures and colour coordinated by interior decorators. That's the only reason they appear better than the others. To give them credit, they're probably approach them game as marketers rather than builders. Sell them dream even though that dream would be a couple of hundred thousand more than standard.

I reckon when choosing a project home just go for the best layout and ignore all the bells and whistles. Put them in if you want but don't be sold on "the dream". Quality wise they're all pretty much the same because they all pull from the same subcontractor pool.

You are right, all show and no substance. Everything is an extra.
My problem is not the display, it's Metricon and the build quality & mistakes.
They dont want to know about problems. You are not treated like a customer, they just dont care. Dont call you back dont care attitude.
I only hope that someone else reads these posts and doesnt get caught like my wife and i. There is no personal service once you sign the contact.
My list of problems started with the cutting of the block and then just got worse. I am now wondering just what sort of house i will end up with. Nothing like the display thats for sure.
Wrong windows, shower walls too short, shower rail on wrong wall, wiring done incorrectly, plans not updated on site, just a nightmare.

Is that because much of what you see is extras, but you assume it is a standard inclusion?

I think Metricon have the best display homes I have seen, great layouts, fantastic kitchens and very well presented.

We chose all the fancy extras. It’s not what we spent that is the problem.
This company does not care once you have signed the contract. They are not interested in communicating with you. Their staff are rude, arrogant and inflexible. I rang them to advise that the shower rail was on the wrong wall. There comment was "its according to plan" if you want it changed, You will need to do a variation and you better hurry up, the plasters are coming this week. The supervisor that made that comment did not have the final plans showing the changes. Buyer beware i say.

having looked thru a display village in nsw recently (metricon are only just starting to build in nsw) - the metricon house was miles ahead of the others in terms of finish, layout, size etc etc.

if i had the slightly extra money, and was thinking to build (we're renovating - again) i would definately go with them. they were a little more expensive, but the result was infinitely better.

Hi yep the display looks fantastic, but at a cost, the real issue is the service levels. Pick another builder if you ever decide to build.
Once bitten twice shy.
Cheers,

Burtie,

If your major gripe is a shower rail in the wrong place i think your doing alright. Building is never a smooth process, the fact is with the project boys your getting a good product for what you are paying but yes their will always be issues big and small along the way.

You have to have a lot of patience when you build and try not to sweat the little details.

if you want an individual house with everything the way you want it then engage a draftsman/ architect and a good local builder..

if you want a mcmansion with an inflexible design, built to a very thin price using the cheapest trades they can find and the end finish looks exactly like the 15000 houses around you then go see metricon, jennings, westminster etc

the first option will no doubt cost more money i think the current estates being built will age very quickly and they wont be looked back on very well see resale also needs to be considered before go for a mcmansion

we are in the process of engaging Metricon for a house and are buying the land through stockland.

any more recent experience with them? so far, the person we have been dealing with seems very good.

we are in the process of engaging Metricon for a house and are buying the land through stockland.

any more recent experience with them? so far, the person we have been dealing with seems very good.

It ultimately comes down to the supervisor you get appointed and how many the supervisor has going on at the time. This is why some get a better product than others.

Good luck

Oscar

Back