BCC hitting properties with 5 individuals/ granny flats again

I dont understand why they are being such bit*hes and so nanny like about those things. Why are they chasing rate payers and voters on something that makes no sense to even chase? doesn't it make sense that if you can spare a part of your house for someone to rent its a GOOD thing?

I dont understand why they are being such bit*hes and so nanny like about those things. Why are they chasing rate payers and voters on something that makes no sense to even chase? doesn't it make sense that if you can spare a part of your house for someone to rent its a GOOD thing?
I predict you and Brisbane City Council planners are not going to be good friends. :p

I just checked and it cost me $515.00 (BCC) + $330 (Pro Townplanner fees).

As for the rules, yeah they suck. But hold tight, once the population grows they'll give in eventually. It might take 5-10 years, but if you have properties in good areas then I predict eventually they will budge, and rental yields will rocket.

Last edited:
How many other people are you leasing it out to? If there are more than 3 rooms then you have an issue. If you are renting out 3 rooms or less and the tenants are not allowed into your granny flat, don't have a key etc then you are not really a household. This is unlikely to be compliant with the house code. If you don't have any complaints from anyway then you may well get left alone, however if you upset a tenant or neighbour (innocently or otherwise).

In this setup, in the event of a fire, would an insurer uphold cover?

Back