Is it time for Frankston?

You work in real estate, don't you?

Not sure of your academic background but you might need to study Statistics 101 or Criminology 201 at Uni to understand how crime figures are calculated. Crime is calculated per 100,000 residents. Try this link so you get the concept of how crime stats can be compared and used. http://www.bairanalytics.com/community/blog/how-to-calculate-crime-rate-2/

Based on the per 100,000 figure, the numbers for Frankston are surprisingly lower than that of many Melbourne's supposedly nicer suburbs. Well, thats what Vic Pol says. The Aust Bureau of Stats does not put out much data about crime so I guess we have no choice but to rely on Police data.

About the sub-division figures - I too had my doubts. Perhaps you ought to call the VGOs office yourself for confirmation? I did. Got shuffled around for almost an hour but was finally told what GD had mentioned here.

Uh what? I wasn't talking about how to calculate statistic, brainiac. Just applying some common sense.

I have one property in Frankston. You guys make me wish I didn't with some of the stuff you spout, it's embarrassing.

Haven't studied statistics nor criminology, no need to in my profession. Not sure if you've studied high school English though because you seem to have not read what I posted?

Why are you comparing Frankston with other suburbs when I'm talking about grand dads post on it being better than inner Melbourne? The fact is any suburb has better crime statistics than inner Melbourne. Melbourne has 10000's of visitors each day and night, most of the crime is visitor on visitor - none of the residents being involved. It's ludicrous to compare the two and just weakens your argument if people stop and think for one second.

Anyway, lets compare Frankston on it's own. The sad news is for grand dads comfortable retirement, the crime is actually up in Frankston and by a significant margin. We'll use your crime per 100000 population figures.

http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/com...w/index.php?option=com_statistics&task=search

Punch in postcode 3199 total crime has risen by 8.7% in Frankston from 2012/2013 to 2013/2014

Must be the result of all those rents skyrocketing and bogans moving out? Ha..

St Albans, which I think I read recently is one of the worst zones for violent crime is actually down 5.9% for the same period.

Inner Melbourne (3000) is also down almost 16% for the same period!!

Anyway, best get some sleep....have to be up early to knock on the door of the VGO's office and wait an hour or so...

Uh what? I wasn't talking about how to calculate statistic, brainiac. Haven't studied statistics nor criminology, no need to in my profession.

Perhaps you should study a bit more then? You work in Property Management right? Please correct me if I am wrong. Maybe I am confusing you with someone else. Either way, you sure know how to cause panic.

Here are the VPol percentage declines in crime in Frankston:

Assault -8.0
Assault excluding family violence -6.8
Theft of Motor vehicle -13.3

I grant you Frankston has a few druggies around the place. A bit like St Kilda and Richmond back in the 80s and 90s. Certainly no worse. Like it or not, gentrification is on its way.

Perhaps you should study a bit more then? You work in Property Management right? Please correct me if I am wrong. Maybe I am confusing you with someone else. Either way, you sure know how to cause panic.

Here are the VPol percentage declines in crime in Frankston:

Assault -8.0
Assault excluding family violence -6.8
Theft of Motor vehicle -13.3

I grant you Frankston has a few druggies around the place. A bit like St Kilda and Richmond back in the 80s and 90s. Certainly no worse. Like it or not, gentrification is on its way.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. I do not work in property at all. I do however subscribe to learning as much as I can about something I invest in, so I have a good grasp of the tenancy act. Quite flattering to hear you think I'm knowledgeable enough to be a property manager.

Good on you for following my lead and providing some correct statistics. I'll help you out with some others you've failed to mention from the same page on Frankston 3199.

Drug offences increased 25.2%
Robbery increased a staggering 59.9%

If you look at total crime for Frankston, as I've already stated, it's up 8.7%, that's probably the best figure to use rather than cherry pick statistics that suit your case.

Sorry to have caused you so much panic.

The reason that GD compares Frankston crime rates to those of Frankston is that Melbournian is always comparing the two.
Tried to give you kudos Lord Shanghai - always love a bit of research and standing up for the one who's right. Easy to read, too.
I do wish GD would realise that he's already posted his statements numerous times and he could write something more fluid, more spontaneous and still be positive about the place.
My rents are still much lower than I would like. Lower than 4 years ago. They certainly haven't gone up.
On the other hand, I do have some good tenants now and think that they'll be staying there for a long time. Rent comes straight out of Centrelink into my account. 4 kids, Mum and Dad and dog. 1/2 Tradie, 1/2 unemployed mates. All moving into the same street to be near each other. Garage is used as a man-cave. I think this is the kind of demographic we're dealing with.
No need for them to move anywhere for now. In fact, I imagine that the kids will go to Frankston High or the other good High School that's nearby, do reasonably well, get into a trade or maybe even into Uni, and become part of the middle class. They'll get good jobs, meet someone nice, buy something close to Mum and Dad so they can look after the kids for them, and by then, rents will be up, prices will be up and all the sub-divisible blocks in Frankston and maybe even in North Frankston will be long gone.
By that time, Melbournian will still be tired and cranky because he's still not getting enough sleep with all his inner-city properties and he'll be wishing he'd had more humility and not dissed his own background and had bought in Frankston.

The reason that GD compares Frankston crime rates to those of Frankston is that Melbournian is always comparing the two.

Say what?! I think I was comparing Frankston crime rates to Frankston crime rates...the increase in crime from 2012/2013 to 2013/2014 of 8.7% as per Vic Police statistics.

On the other hand, I do have some good tenants now and think that they'll be staying there for a long time. Rent comes straight out of Centrelink into my account. 4 kids, Mum and Dad and dog. 1/2 Tradie, 1/2 unemployed mates. All moving into the same street to be near each other. Garage is used as a man-cave. I think this is the kind of demographic we're dealing with.
No need for them to move anywhere for now. In fact, I imagine that the kids will go to Frankston High or the other good High School that's nearby, do reasonably well, get into a trade or maybe even into Uni, and become part of the middle class. They'll get good jobs, meet someone nice, buy something close to Mum and Dad so they can look after the kids for them, and by then, rents will be up, prices will be up and all the sub-divisible blocks in Frankston and maybe even in North Frankston will be long gone.
By that time, Melbournian will still be tired and cranky because he's still not getting enough sleep with all his inner-city properties and he'll be wishing he'd had more humility and not dissed his own background and had bought in Frankston.

You forgot to chuck a few rent increases in there so you make some cash.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. I do not work in property at all. I do however subscribe to learning as much as I can about something I invest in, so I have a good grasp of the tenancy act. Quite flattering to hear you think I'm knowledgeable enough to be a property manager.

Good on you for following my lead and providing some correct statistics. I'll help you out with some others you've failed to mention from the same page on Frankston 3199.

Drug offences increased 25.2%
Robbery increased a staggering 59.9%

If you look at total crime for Frankston, as I've already stated, it's up 8.7%, that's probably the best figure to use rather than cherry pick statistics that suit your case.

Sorry to have caused you so much panic.

hands down frankston for crime rate- i personally rank frankston in the same league as doveton. As someone who has lived in the area.

had a couple of tilers before from dandenong - they thought it was the next toorak if you heard them going on abt it as they were from there. similar with some posters here. Long live frankston.

I cant even find a wooden home under 300k anymore let alone a brick unless it's in Frankston North, they've shot up huge already, the same ones that were 260k only 18 months ago are now fetching around 330k-350k. I don't see any capital growth/profits in these properties unless you develop, they've gone up almost a good 30% already in response to the recent market? These are the lowest demographic estates too I was thinking of buying my first home/ppor there for potential long term hold, but a 350k minimum buy in to live in Frankston seems a bit farfetched to me when I could get the same grade property slightly in a nicer area in a suburb like Noble Park. I could perhaps get a brick home for under 300k in Frankston North, but in comparisons to Noble Park, Ringwood etc I don't trust it. It's the only suburb I'm aware of with only lower class estates hence a median of under 300k, I don't think it has a single 1000sqm block, nor any beachside areas which suggests the median isn't undervalued to the surrounding suburbs.

My main fear with buying in Frankston is if it ends up like Dandenong and it never booms because it's a "mini cbd" (aka industrial wasteland) while all the suburbs around it could become much higher in value, Dandenong South has dropped 20% Frankston has the same stigma as Dandenong/Doveton imo.

Units are extremely overpriced there it's 270k-350k+ minimum for a decent one in the cheapest estates, for that price far nicer units in FAR nicer areas in Ringwood and you could probably get closer in (even look at Preston for example).

It's moved a lot in the last 18 months, if you bought a 3 bed brick home in Frankston cbd for 240k-270k in late 2012, it's now worth 350k so I'd say you've done pretty well there already. Personally after so much research on the suburb over the last year I'll probably look elsewhere as I feel I missed the boat on these areas.

Last edited:
I cant even find a wooden home under 300k anymore let alone a brick unless it's in Frankston North, they've shot up huge already, the same ones that were 260k only 18 months ago are now fetching around 330k-350k. I don't see any capital growth/profits in these properties unless you develop, they've gone up almost a good 30% already in response to the recent market? These are the lowest demographic estates too I was thinking of buying my first home/ppor there for potential long term hold, but a 350k minimum buy in to live in Frankston seems a bit farfetched to me when I could get the same grade property slightly in a nicer area in a suburb like Noble Park. I could perhaps get a brick home for under 300k in Frankston North, but in comparisons to Noble Park, Ringwood etc I don't trust it. It's the only suburb I'm aware of with only lower class estates hence a median of under 300k, I don't think it has a single 1000sqm block, nor any beachside areas which suggests the median isn't undervalued to the surrounding suburbs.

My main fear with buying in Frankston is if it ends up like Dandenong and it never booms because it's a "mini cbd" (aka industrial wasteland) while all the suburbs around it could become much higher in value, Dandenong South has dropped 20% Frankston has the same stigma as Dandenong/Doveton imo.

Units are extremely overpriced there it's 270k-350k+ minimum for a decent one in the cheapest estates, for that price far nicer units in FAR nicer areas in Ringwood and you could probably get closer in (even look at Preston for example).

It's moved a lot in the last 18 months, if you bought a 3 bed brick home in Frankston cbd for 240k-270k in late 2012, it's now worth 350k so I'd say you've done pretty well there already. Personally after so much research on the suburb over the last year I'll probably look elsewhere as I feel I missed the boat on these areas.

I don't think you have missed the boat at all, there are still bargains in Frankston as long as you are prepared to look and wait. Only last night a property at Bradshaw st was signed up for 285k with a potential rental return of 16kp.a ( the tenant pays for your house) older house on 623 sq m block of land. Too bad I only heard about it after it was signed up

Don't fret - there is still value around, if you'd only take time to look. Brick houses under $350,000 that can be subdivided are available if you negotiate hard. If you are an ultra tough negotiator you'd get what you want in the early $300s.

The agents are your greatest obstacle. Dealing with them can be very frustrating. In my experience, they seldom return calls or show the slightest interest in assisting buyers. Their "price it low to get em in" strategy is tiresome to the max. A house that is listed for $300,000 plus means they want $330,000 for it......this sort of underpricing makes me boiling mad.

Here's a few.

This one was marketed at $260,000+. It was snapped up really quickly as the dodgy agents had underpriced it to make a fast sale. http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-frankston-117925003

This one (thanks to GD for bringing it to my attention) is ripe for subdivision. If you demolish the existing house, which is very rentable, you will have a dual occ block with two street frontage. The dual access usually makes town planners happy, so its easier to get approval. As is so common in Frankston, the agent has not bothered to disclose the block size or its future potential - they want a fast sale. http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-frankston-118033147

This one is on a supposedly long and busy road. There are no road widening issues and it's pretty quiet, from what I see. Again, the lazy agents have not bothered to make mention of its subdivision potentiality. http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-frankston-117815407

This one is being sold by one of the slipperiest agents I've ever encountered. Great block size . Rentable house. http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-frankston-118046099 My feeling is that this agent has zero loyalty to the vendor so you may well get a good deal. In 5 yrs time, if you want to sell you would be advised not to sell through this agent.

This one already has plans and permits in place. It was deemed a dual occ site even though it is less than 600sqm in size. The only drama here is that the plans and permits have an expiry date and if you don't build by that time, you will have to reapply and it might not be granted again. http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-frankston-118243111

This one has a pool. The agent is a bit dodgy and refused to tell me the block size until he met me. http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-frankston-116785547

The agent who is marketing this one has a reputation in Frankston. On a home open, he was caught going through the vendors underwear drawer. He got fired, only to be rehired elsewhere. To his credit he has advertised it as a redevelopment site. http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-frankston-117843303

Last edited:
This one is being sold by one of the slipperiest agents I've ever encountered. Great block size . Rentable house. http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-frankston-118046099 My feeling is that this agent has zero loyalty to the vendor so you may well get a good deal. In 5 yrs time, if you want to sell you would be advised not to sell through this agent.

Hi

It is funny you mention that. I purchased two of my previous bargains in Frankston from his father who used to be an estate agent.

I thought it was my great negotiation skills!...maybe not?

Regards,

alicudi

Hi It is funny you mention that. I purchased two of my previous bargains in Frankston from his father who used to be an estate agent. I thought it was my great negotiation skills!...maybe not?
Regards, alicudi

This guy is as smooth as a baby's bottom. Zero loyalty or duty of care to vendors, according to twitter. Great if you are a buyer, because its the underpricers who create bargains. Sad for the vendors, to be sure.

I found this link really helpful when deciding which agents were more likely to underprice.https://twitter.com/frankstonowners

This guy is as smooth as a baby's bottom. Zero loyalty or duty of care to vendors, according to twitter. Great if you are a buyer, because its the underpricers who create bargains. Sad for the vendors, to be sure.

I found this link really helpful when deciding which agents were more likely to underprice.https://twitter.com/frankstonowners

is this guy deadset??????

a) i think hes got alot of nerve.
b) he is asking for trouble
c) he is asking to be shot in the dead at all costs!

as far as im concerned i wouldn't be posting such rubbish over a public forum like he has done. i know sam bucca quite well. so for him to say he is an underquoter is a farout joke!

as far as im concerned i wouldn't be posting such rubbish over a public forum like he has done. i know sam bucca quite well. so for him to say he is an underquoter is a farout joke!

Chris Jones LLB is a retired lawyer who grew up in Frankston. His spleen is directed at bad agents. Chris' twitter account was set up in 2009. Perhaps Bucca was an underpricer back then but has since mended his ways?

According to GD, Chris' ire was aroused when agents tried to undersell his late mothers house. I guess agents who have an issue with what Chris says can always sue him. Suing an experienced lawyer might be a fruitless exercise.

Agents with no loyalty to the vendor deliver better prices for buyers. Chris Jones twitter account was helpful - it enabled me to buy cheap houses from agents who would have sold off their grandmothers for a fast buck

Chris Jones LLB is a retired lawyer who grew up in Frankston. His spleen is directed at bad agents. Chris' twitter account was set up in 2009. Perhaps Bucca was an underpricer back then but has since mended his ways?

According to GD, Chris' ire was aroused when agents tried to undersell his late mothers house. I guess agents who have an issue with what Chris says can always sue him. Suing an experienced lawyer might be a fruitless exercise.

Agents with no loyalty to the vendor deliver better prices for buyers. Chris Jones twitter account was helpful - it enabled me to buy cheap houses from agents who would have sold off their grandmothers for a fast buck

Yeah. retired lawyer. Case closed!

That's a decent sized block. My feeling is that it will go in the late $300s.

I cross swords with GD in that he thinks ALL agents are bad news. In my experience, I deliberately chose to work with underpricing agents in order to secure bargains.

An agent who is disloyal to the vendor is a good friend indeed if you are a buyer.

Back