Strata problem with my holiday rental

If you were the only one with a short term rental in the building, that might be a solution. But I gather you aren't. So should every person with a short term rental give all residents their phone numbers? And how do those residents know which unit people parking in the wrong spot or having trouble with the foyer doors are staying in?
I would be making sure I attend all body corp meetings. And I would be finding out how many owners are renting out their properties on the short term stay market - you'd be keen to have their contact details in case there is a body corp move against the practice. I would also make a point of spending some time in the building. You mentioned you have not had a chance to stay there much yourself. I would make it a priority. And when you are there, be sure to speak to any permanent resident you find - be sure to say nice things about their gardens and cardigans. Make yourself part of the community - don't be an absent landlord.
Before things escalate, write a response thanking them for their concern and how you appreciate their custodianship of the building you bought into i.e. butter them up. You might mention that permanent tenants and their visitors arguably cause more problems. And you should detail the measures you will take to minimise issues that your tenants may cause. Can you meet all tenants when they arrive (or soon after)? Can you lengthen the minimum stay length?

My husband always goes to the body corp meetings and I had quite a good relationship with the maintenance man in the building although not sure how it is going now. Might be going there this weekend for a bit. The other people running short stays have been very secretive about it and do not do much advertising (except for one who recently began using the same advertising as us). I don't believe it has ever been talked about at strata meetings we were basically told that short stays were frowned upon but not prohibited, as I assume they would be in any complex.

People are choosing to live in close quarters with other people when they make the decision to buy a strata property. I live in a regular house and was "blessed" with poohouse neighbours partying it up every weekend with super loud base vibrating our home until 2am, but there was nothing I could do about it so after 2 years we have moved 200m up the road and now live in between elderly couples and it is bliss. It is luck of the draw really, unless you move to an over 55's village you really have no say in who lives near you unless you want to buy out the surrounding properties

Anyway I am going to stop worrying about it as the worst that can happen is that we end up with an extremely negatively geared investment property that we can maybe holiday in in 30 years time. If the building is still standing.

In all honesty if we are forced to stop I think I would sell the property as it was bought with intention of having short term residents so that my family could use it ourselves during vacant periods and we definitely could not afford to keep it vacant full time as it costs us around $1000 per week to run :eek:

What is the difference between a strata 'rule' and a strata 'law'?

Maybe the terms are interchangeable.

I would have thought there are laws that govern all strata buildings, but individual body corps also make their own additional rules that pertain to their buildings.

Back