Granny Flats and Section 94 Contributions Explained

I rang Wyong today. They will charge 10k- 15k for Section 94 contributions for a granny flat in THE ENTRANCE NORTH.

Anyone here have had experience of building a Granny Flat in THE ENTRANCE NORTH through Wyong council. The suburb are in flooded zone. Please share your knowledge. Thanks

I'd be holding off until a decision is made by the new council as to whether they will continue to consider waiving S.94 contributions. Might be an idea to speak to the mayor about it.

But, this is the same council that wanted close to 1 mill in S.94 contributions for a medical centre :rolleyes:

Just sharing some information about Blacktown Council that I went to see regarding an attached Granny Flat today:
S96 Contribution is required even for attached Granny Flat. I asked for second opinion within the council, then another guy came and confirm that same thing.
I argued that my investment property has 5 bedroom ever since it had been rented out to a large family and I am not adding more rooms or loads or population to Blacktown, but still the answer is contribution is required

Blacktown Council will not provide me with the contribution amount over the phone or in person. It has to be writing.

The guy who served looks to be more than 30yrs of experience in the field, however I have concerns of the following he answered:

1. Attached granny flat is only for newly constructed. He is saying that I can't just split and convert to an attached granny flat on an existing dwelling and he was referring to SEPP. Is he correct in saying, as I can appear to find in SEPP that states, nor he was able to identify this in SEPP in front of me.

2. Is sound rated/prrofing required between the main house and granny flat? The council guy believe it is required. It is just a single level dwelling, separation is between to joined walls. Main house Bedroom 4 and GF Kitchen. Main house Bedroom and GF bathroom. My understanding is fire rating both sides to the tip of roof is all its required.

Could anyone comment on 1 and 2 above pls?

Just sharing some information about Blacktown Council that I went to see regarding an attached Granny Flat today:
S96 Contribution is required even for attached Granny Flat. I asked for second opinion within the council, then another guy came and confirm that same thing.
I argued that my investment property has 5 bedroom ever since it had been rented out to a large family and I am not adding more rooms or loads or population to Blacktown, but still the answer is contribution is required

Blacktown Council will not provide me with the contribution amount over the phone or in person. It has to be writing.

The guy who served looks to be more than 30yrs of experience in the field, however I have concerns of the following he answered:

1. Attached granny flat is only for newly constructed. He is saying that I can't just split and convert to an attached granny flat on an existing dwelling and he was referring to SEPP. Is he correct in saying, as I can appear to find in SEPP that states, nor he was able to identify this in SEPP in front of me.

2. Is sound rated/prrofing required between the main house and granny flat? The council guy believe it is required. It is just a single level dwelling, separation is between to joined walls. Main house Bedroom 4 and GF Kitchen. Main house Bedroom and GF bathroom. My understanding is fire rating both sides to the tip of roof is all its required.

Could anyone comment on 1 and 2 above pls?

Hi Riterich,

Council (in my experiene) will tell you the Section 94 contributions fee if you ask them on the phone. For Blacktown (most recently) its around $5,000. Yes it sucks but there it is. They're actually the cheapest in Sydney for a Council that charges it- not all do.

Attached Granny Flats CAN certainly be done within an existing dwelling. You'll need a fire-rated-wall and where the new granny flat's wall adjoins a habitable room (not a bathroom/laundry/hallway/kitchen) you need sound insulation. Most batts have this anyway.

Hi Riterich,

Council (in my experiene) will tell you the Section 94 contributions fee if you ask them on the phone. For Blacktown (most recently) its around $5,000. Yes it sucks but there it is. They're actually the cheapest in Sydney for a Council that charges it- not all do.

Attached Granny Flats CAN certainly be done within an existing dwelling. You'll need a fire-rated-wall and where the new granny flat's wall adjoins a habitable room (not a bathroom/laundry/hallway/kitchen) you need sound insulation. Most batts have this anyway.

Just to confirm, there is nothing in the SEPP that stops you from creating an attached granny flat in an existing dwelling house. Nothing at all.

Ive done about 4-5 granny flats in Bankstown (my local Council)...<drum roll> Good news- they DON'T charge S94 Constributions :)

no sure if things have changed since you last spoke to them Brazen however i just spoke to Bankstown town planer last week and if the cost of build is over $100k then they do charge. good think to keep in mind when your adding all the extras in the contract. :)

no sure if things have changed since you last spoke to them Brazen however i just spoke to Bankstown town planer last week and if the cost of build is over $100k then they do charge. good think to keep in mind when your adding all the extras in the contract. :)

Thanks mate. Ive done many jobs in the Bankstown area and none have been >$100k yet ;)

Been looking at a granny flat, seems like Hornsby council has a draft s94 to be finalised very soon.

Now the question is, am I correct in saying granny flats are still exempt if under $100k, as it says exemption to "Alterations or additions to residential accommodation (excluding additional dwellings)"

As a granny flat is a "secondary dwelling", but if we are building a detached one, would it be an "additional dwelling"?

http://www.hornsby.nsw.gov.au/__dat...-Development-Contributions-Plan-2012-2021.PDF

thanks guys

Hornsby

Hiya

I built my gf too in Hornsby shire....the "snooty" girl at the counter was adamant she was going to slug me S94 too ...(i think she said it is costed by number of bedrooms...)

But in the end because my build cost was less than 100K i did not have to pay!

That was a year ago btw..best check with your pte certifier...

Retirerich101.
We just did exactly that in Blacktown council.

We got the run around for months trying to get straight answers.
We split a 6 bed house into 4 bed and granny flat under SEPP.

Wall needs to be fireproof to tiles and sound proof.

I love the way you say fire rating is ALL that is required. LOL it was very frustrating and took longer because of incompetent council staff. Well one in particular. Unfortunately we got the bad one.:eek:

Are you on a slab? More difficult if not.
If you have any questions just PM.

Canterbury City Council

does anyone have any ideas for a GF located in Canterbury City Council (NSW); whether it requires a permit or of some form.

I found a Policy 53-349 applicable for Secondary Dwellings (i assume this is GF) and assumed this is the their latest policy (given the next revision date is in June 2015)

TIA

edit!!!!!
i think i found my answer to my question..

i think the answer is No for contribution for granny flats (small dwellings) at Riverwood

Last edited:
Retirerich101.
We just did exactly that in Blacktown council.

We got the run around for months trying to get straight answers.
We split a 6 bed house into 4 bed and granny flat under SEPP.

Wall needs to be fireproof to tiles and sound proof.

I love the way you say fire rating is ALL that is required. LOL it was very frustrating and took longer because of incompetent council staff. Well one in particular. Unfortunately we got the bad one.:eek:

Are you on a slab? More difficult if not.
If you have any questions just PM.

My private certifier was concerned of the sound insulation but more the fire rating material and if its extended to the roof tiles, and gaps needs to be sealed with fire rated.

Some Council guys are helpful, some are plan arrogant, especially the older ones. If I see an older guy, i just come back another time because you know it end up using bad language...

Imagine getting the secondary dwelling approval through them...I meet a guy it took 12mon+ going through them for a granny flat approval..

"Granny Flats aren't just 'smaller' houses"

I have a different opinion on that.

I believe that if you have to live in something small, (and the maximum you can build through NSW is 60 sqm) then you should live in something that is designed for today's living and is very liveable. I design apartment sized backyard flats with full kitchens and storage, separate WM spaces to name a few features.

I personally have a moral and social conscience on what people live in and design as such. Investors who want to shove people into something small and maximum return for the smallest outlay can will always be around. But, if you construct something that is a one or two bedroom house, fully featured, then you will get more rent, and more value for your property.

Ive seen "Granny Flats" with 2 or 3 bedrooms that only have a kitchenette, and only room for a dining, no lounge to speak of. I feel sorry for those people who have no choice but to live in one of those.

Hi Savanna,

Yes, you're right they must have a S96 Contr. Plan in place. Every Council I've looked up so far has a 'S94 Contributions Plan. Know any that don't?

Pre-fab homes have been around for eons.

Opportunities are there for builders- as long as they know how to fast-track developments, provide quick & timely building services and remember these are NOT houses. The idea is to add value for minimal cost to the developer. Granny Flats aren't just 'smaller' houses. You need to remember that these need to be as cost-effective as possible. I've actually knocked back many builders because they think a granny flat is going to be a quick buck for them. Builders trying to make huge profits (as they often do with new dwellings) are better off leaving it alone.

EDIT: Just got a call back from Planning Dept. at Parramatta. Good news for you nek (see above).

Having trouble sleeping guys?
brazen always post late!

I design apartment sized backyard flats with full kitchens and storage, separate WM spaces to name a few features.
Aren't most GF designs are like that?

I personally have a moral and social conscience on what people live in and design as such. Investors who want to shove people into something small and maximum return for the smallest outlay can will always be around. But, if you construct something that is a one or two bedroom house, fully featured, then you will get more rent, and more value for your property.
Are you serious? 60 sqm isn't small for a small family unit. Haven't you seen any 1-2 bed room units?
GF concept was brought to reduce the rental pressure. Your plan doesn't sound like helping that aim.
If these are really bad as you portray, the market will deal with that.

Ive seen "Granny Flats" with 2 or 3 bedrooms that only have a kitchenette, and only room for a dining, no lounge to speak of. I feel sorry for those people who have no choice but to live in one of those.
3 bead room is a bit over kill.. but generally they are targeted at uni acco. Be glad that at least these people have decent place to live for an acceptable rent by them.

brazen always post late!

Late or early... perhaps he stayed up scheming new ways to stuff more people in small houses. Flat grannies take up less room...

Anyhow, I have read nothing to suggest those here who construct granny flats are anything but people of "moral and social conscience".

Thread subject concerns s94 contributions, therein lies a large part of any missing social conscience, Councils trying to top up their budgets by effectively taxing the people who need such accommodation.

Here here!
Let's keep the discussion about Section-94 Contribution fees as they relate to secondary dwellings please!

Fact is, many Councils are flip-flopping on these ridiculous fees too, so it is very hard to keep track. An example is Penrith Council - they didn't then they did, then they didnt then they did again. It's pretty confusing for people who need to ascertain their total budget.

I encourage people to lobby their local member on this. I know I have.
Granny flats are a NSW Government strategy for "Affordable Rental Housing".
Charging people a 5% tax is just plain bloody wrong!

Brazen.

Last edited:
Hornsby Council gone mad

Was at the Hornsby chambers today and was advised they will now 'steal' $18,000 for granny flat approvals. This Council is incompetent and just waste these funds on their equestrian friends.

Last edited:
Was at the Hornsby chambers today and was advised they will now 'steal' $18,000 for granny flat approvals. This Council is incompetent and just waste these funds on their equestrian friends.

$18,000???
Are you sure? The last one we did (mind you it was like March 2013) at Hornsby was round $5,000.

Brazen.

P.S. Council's are bound by a code of conduct on S94 Contributions so if this is correct I need to make some calls (again)...

Back