Grafton and South Grafton

I was having a read of the HTW monthly review and they mentioned Grafton as having great yields. Eg $160-190k purchase would rent for $250-$290/wk. Ex housing commission stock in South Grafton apparently can be had for $100-120k, renting for $220/wk.

Anyone looking there? What's it like, I'm expecting to hear horror stories about South Grafton in particular :rolleyes:

I live about 30 mins away ATM and used to watch it with a keen eye, yes great yields but not much in the way of cg.

It's a very low social Eco area to the south, some good houses and tidier areas closer in to the cbd, but with those prices you may as well buy elsewhere with a better chance of stronger cg,

Housing used to be tight a while ago while they had good strong gov projects in progress, but when all that stopped and the jail and other major businesses closed, things really slowed

Make sure u google earth the streets when u pick out cheapies as they will be cheap for a reason, check for flood areas as well

I do know people who Reno and invest in Grafton but they r usually just looking for cash flow and u will find plenty of that to the south

After 3 years of watching and researching it I bought elsewhere, I could never bring myself to swallow and jump into the Grafton hole

Invstor it's northern NSW.
Thanks Mikezen, if after 3 years you still gave it a miss, that says a lot. Those kinds of yields are achievable here in Tassie with a little elbow grease so I'll stick to what I know. Incidentally, apparently Bunnings is planning a megastore in Glenorchy. Something to watch.

Invstor it's northern NSW.
Thanks Mikezen, if after 3 years you still gave it a miss, that says a lot. Those kinds of yields are achievable here in Tassie with a little elbow grease so I'll stick to what I know. Incidentally, apparently Bunnings is planning a megastore in Glenorchy. Something to watch.

I thought it may have been, NSW. I caught up with an old school friend a few years ago and he has a transportable at a caravan park at Grafton. He spends a lot of time there water skiing (holidays from Bris) and has made a lot of friends there. His property came close to getting flooded but water receded just in time. I have wondered myself if it would become a retirement spot in future but I don't know Grafton well.

I used to live in Grafton around 12 years ago now, mind you I was only 13 years old.

My grandpa built a really nice house there, came up for sale and my dad wanted to buy it. But after some research decided against it, as mentioned not much drivers for CG... Pop growth, infastructure/govt spending etc

I used to live in Grafton around 12 years ago now, mind you I was only 13 years old.

My grandpa built a really nice house there, came up for sale and my dad wanted to buy it. But after some research decided against it, as mentioned not much drivers for CG... Pop growth, infastructure/govt spending etc

Are you serious? There is 180 km if fully funded pacific highway to be built either side if grafton over the next five years - plenty of money to be spent when you consider a 30km section costs about 600 million

there was talk the grafton airport which is serviced by REX would close last year due to running at a loss. havent heard any recent news on this but wouldnt be good for the towns business. unfortunate about the jail closing barry ofarrell isnt popular around grafton as he sacked the remaining skeleton staff

the grafton cup is one of the best regional race meets on the calender and well worth checking out. i cant believe how many pubs are in the town its quite impressive for such a small place, i think ive talked myself into going again

Lived in Grafton (south Grafton) for years. Personally not someplace I would invest. Especially With the closing down of the prison which was one of the major employers there.

My parents had their old PPOR (south grafton) as an investment for just under six years there after we left and just had issue after issue with tenants and REA's. Twice (with two different lots of tenants) the house ended up being drug raided.

About Sth Grafton

I have had and still have several investment properties in Sth Grafton. The area is rural, but Grafton/South Grafton is HUGE. I have never had problems with waiting for tenants to sign up. Though I do self manage a couple of my places, I would on the whole advise against it here, and say go with a property manager, especially if you are not reasonably local yourself. I think there are more pros than cons buying in Sth Grafton. The property market is now beginning to move (April 2014.) Houses have risen about $20,000 I would say recently. So interested buyers would be advised to buy soon. Four years ago I sold a place (a nice ex housing comm.) which I had owned for about 5 yrs, and made a clear profit of $22k. It had been constantly rented during that period.
If I had waited till now, I probably cld have doubled that profit. Nevermind. Well that's the way it goes. I wanted the money then. The point is, South Grafton is popular with investors because the purchase prices are very reasonable, and the rent returns are great. Yes, like any country town, you have to be prepared to wait to double your purchase price, BUT the great thing is, in the mean time, you will receive good rents and if you use a property mgr, less likely to get a bad tenant, which afterall, are found everywhere. At the mo I have some very good ones.

I have looked at grafton and decided to stay away as there is not much there. And south grafton was not with the hassle yeah the yield might be great but having a crapy tenant soon eats into the yield.

Armidale I looked at a couple of years ago but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Hasn't changed in a long time.

Glen innes seems to be doing well. I own a few there. Airport getting upgraded and flight school. Has a couple of big plants and rta. Houses seem to be selling well and a lot getting renovated.

Back