does ll insurance cover tribunal losses?

I'm with Ebm
Basically had a nutcase tenant, complaining about everything, lies, exaggerates, you name it
Agent has now banned him from entering their office

They are now about 6 weeks behind in rent

Their main gripe are leaks and holes in the property

Sometimes, they refuse to let repairs to be done,
Sometimes, new problems are automatically labelled as old ones unfixed

Anyway, I know the nature of courts siding with tenants,
Agent reckons that due to the leaks and holes are significant, I'll lose anyway
And basically it will be a he says she says type of situation
Even though someone was sent out each time

Anyeay, fair or unfair
Will landlords insurance cover every out of pocket expense?

What is the best way to proceed, tenant is extremely.unreasonable so there is no point trying to reason, tenant has even threatened staff and to set the property on fire!

Well shouldn't you be proceeding to evict the tenant regardless?

And I doubt you would get most of your out of pocket expenses, unless they relate to breaches of the tenancy agreement. (And even then...)

LL insurance wont cover all costs. Its how insurance companies work. They pay what the policy allows them to pay..ie "an insured event".

Make sure you KNOW what is insured and what value it is insured for. ie Carpet. All insurers will try to clean carpet even after a flood. Then replace it. Meanwhile time and costs will build. Then you will argue over what type of carpet and underlay. They want to pay for rubbish yet you have premium underlay. So assessor has to come back again maybe. Your time is free and uninsured. They love to waste it and wear you down. Your travel to the property each time is not covered. etc. You tenant inconvenience and furniture moving is also unlikely to be covered.

A threat to set the place on fire may be best taken to Police so its on record.

Ring your insurer and start a claim. Understand what they will do and pay. Its going to happen. You just dont know how much. The insurer may refer a lawyer now to minimise the claim !!

does ll insurance cover tribunal losses?
The basic answer (for EBM RentCover) is yes (other policies will vary). RentCover will pay legal expenses (which can include a property manager charging for time at tribunal) which have been incurred whilst trying to minimise a rent loss.

This is a general statement of course, for more specific clarification you would be best to call and speak to one of our claim staff.

Back