How to get a FIFO mining job - Pilbara

In my experience it's definately a lot higher than that. But I do agree wages will need to go higher in the new year to attract more tradies, engineers etc. the shortage is already been felt.

With 2 gas trains being built in the west for Gorgon and a possible 6 being built in Qld for the coal seam gas to LNG, there are going to be huge skill shortages.

Wage surges are a given I'd say, with a massive immigration drive for skilled workers as well.

Rooster

no they are woeful. Mind you a good for nothing labourer in Karratha pulls about $55/hr. I am talking of a typical FIFO worker earning say $100-120k. IMO that sort of money will not cut it next year

absolutely not. it'll be a $150k starting package because that's what the gorgon workers are on - i said this WAAAAAYY back when, as the argument FOR wage growth in this state.

A sparky mate just got an on-site gig down near Collie. He spends the week there and drives back to Perth on the w/e. Perhaps he could look there for some experience closer to Perth?

Heard of FIFObids yet?

I tell you these guys are going to change things....

Get this - you register yourself and your work experience and qualifications etc.

Then you put yourself in the market and say what you're looking for - the type of job / where you want to work / what rosters you can do AND what is the minimum pay that you would consider to change jobs.

Companies then come and bid for you!

Best of all? It's always completely free for the job seeker and completely anonymous up until you accept a bid from a company.

They'll open the market once they've got 10,000 and they just reached 5,000 in like two weeks. Let's get this party started!

/Jacob FIFO NZ Au

no they are woeful. Mind you a good for nothing labourer in Karratha pulls about $55/hr. I am talking of a typical FIFO worker earning say $100-120k. IMO that sort of money will not cut it next year

$55.00 p/hr x 38 hrs per week x 52 weeks per year ~ $108,680.00

Then I guess you're taking out meals and accommodation if you're living local

$55.00 p/hr x 38 hrs per week x 52 weeks per year ~ $108,680.00

Then I guess you're taking out meals and accommodation if you're living local

Try 65 hours 4 on 1 off

65 x 4 / 5 averages 52 hrs per week x 48 weeks x 55/hr = 137k

That calc excludes ot, so it's on the low side

Judging by the quality of some of the people ive worked with at numerous sites and the high turnover of workers i would of thought that they hire anyone these days:eek:

Try 65 hours 4 on 1 off

65 x 4 / 5 averages 52 hrs per week x 48 weeks x 55/hr = 137k

That calc excludes ot, so it's on the low side

I was looking at the labourer in Karratha (townsite)?

On another note, wasn't there recently a show on TV about getting a job in mining (TT or ACA)?

Hey guys awesome advice from everyone I really appreciate it, keep it coming.

I'm currently also trying to get a start in mining and despite what everyone believes you don't just fall into a $150k job just because you're an electrician

No, $150k is for unskilled. Electrician get WAAAAYYY more.

Yes, I'm being a dick, but seriously, I've got a bunch of mates who are electricians. In Perth, they easily earn over $100k, almost up to $150k. Two of the three that are FIFO (Two maintenance, one construction) are earning well into the $200,000s (The third keeps it to himself, so he's either really humble about his huge rate or embarassed to not be on as much as everyone else)

C'mon Jake electricians never "earn" that much, they just get 'paid" that fee :D

I just wish the b&$#@bs would clean up after themselves also, though one told me, at his hourly rate did I really want him to be cleaning?

But hey, even Jims Mowing has branched into a Test & Tag franchise

Some cleaners on the mines are on over $100k, but then you need to look at thier roster and the "hourly rate", and you may need to add in a 24 hr unpaid RDO after 14 days

No, $150k is for unskilled. Electrician get WAAAAYYY more.

C'mon Jake electricians never "earn" that much, they just get 'paid" that fee :D

I just wish the b&$#@bs would clean up after themselves also, though one told me, at his hourly rate did I really want him to be cleaning?

But hey, even Jims Mowing has branched into a Test & Tag franchise

Some cleaners on the mines are on over $100k, but then you need to look at thier roster and the "hourly rate", and you may need to add in a 24 hr unpaid RDO after 14 days.

Redwing I work offshore in the construction game on a 3 weeks on and 3 weeks off roster. Based on what I earn as a Welders T/A, an Electrician would easy make close to 300k including all allowances etc if a full year was worked.

Regards

Redwing I work offshore in the construction game on a 3 weeks on and 3 weeks off roster. Based on what I earn as a Welders T/A, an Electrician would easy make close to 300k including all allowances etc if a full year was worked.

Regards

I found this Regrow

It was interesting to see the roster below

Oil-rig sparkies to earn $260,000

February 08, 201212:00AM

ELECTRICIANS working on Bass Strait oil and gas platforms have won a 15 per cent pay rise, making them among the nation's best-paid tradesmen.

The Esso offshore sparkies earn between $220,000 and $230,000 a year, and the new three-year deal will see some of the elite blue-collar workers earn more than $260,000 annually by 2015. Employed on fly-in, fly-out rosters, the estimated 350 employees work seven consecutive 12-hour shifts, living on the platforms for eight nights before they return to the mainland for a week off.

Critical to their high pay is that they hold dual trades in electrical and instrumentation, to perform crucial maintenance work on rigs.

During the lengthy negotiations, the Electrical Trades Union successfully resisted for the time being a push by Esso to move to a 14-day on, 14-day off roster. However, prior to finalising the deal the union agreed to trial an annualised pay system designed to reduce the amount of overtime.

Prior to the trial, some employees were working significant amounts of overtime, pushing their annual remuneration up to $260,000.

Under the trial, "non-standard" overtime hours are capped and workers received an annual allowance of about $11,000 in lieu of non-standard overtime and associated penalty payments.

Living away from home payments have been annualised into one $5544 allowance while other allowances are paid in exchange for meeting efficiencies.

Union organiser Peter Mooney said the workers had not made any trade-offs in exchange for the three annual 5 per cent pay rises.

Cont...

regrow sign me up as an electrician where you work!

A bloke I work with does the same as you, but only when people need time off etc. He makes more in a day as a welders T/A than he does at home being a sparky in a week!

regrow sign me up as an electrician where you work!

A bloke I work with does the same as you, but only when people need time off etc. He makes more in a day as a welders T/A than he does at home being a sparky in a week!

I'm confused, he's a bloke?

T/A is not t**ts and a** then :confused:

It's funny you should say that. I've got two friends, sisters, stunning (with amazing personalities, too).

They work DIDO from Perth, not sure exactly where, as "TAs"

Their job involves standing at the entrance to enclosed spaces while someone works in them, keeping an eye out. They earn ridiculous dollars.

I have a suspicion that somebody male, or less attractive may not keep such an easy job or keep it at such an amazing rate as these two do.

Hi Jake

It's like the company that had very attractive ladies driving the pilot vehicles for trucks, apprently they won a lot of business based on the truckies recommendations

A pleasing personality and big eyes will get you a long way in life ;)

Back