how to make $110k 12mths without quitting my day job

Bunnings sell the plug in timers. Can set your powerpoint (eg lamp and radio) to turn on/off every 10 minutes. Very good to keep unwanted people away.

Thats what i did too.

I bought timers from bunnings, connected them to lamps.
I would run 3 timers across different rooms all a different times to make it look like multiple people were home. Even went to the extent of turning on lights at random times in the morning to make it look like people were going to the toilet.

great ideas

I'm totally getting myself some of those timers for the lamp/radio since the house is likely to be vacant for another month yet, plus I am no longer leaving my power tools there at night

Fatgyts

melissas pictures 041.jpg

Woof Woof

Thanks for all the info Erica - good to see all the ups and downs.
Sorry to hear about the disaster day. At least you've got that out of the way now. Such a pain to have to pack everything away. Wonder if you could get a big lockable stainless tool box that you can just chuck everything in.
Interested to see how you go with your renovators' delight, too. Am interested to know if you've had a quote on the walls/plastering? I had a plasterer come to give me a quote on a place I'm interested and it moved from 10K to 15K to 20K the more he kept talking. I think I gave him too much info about where I'm from, my job and age etc.

Am interested to know if you've had a quote on the walls/plastering? I had a plasterer come to give me a quote on a place I'm interested and it moved from 10K to 15K to 20K the more he kept talking. I think I gave him too much info about where I'm from, my job and age etc.

Plastering is cheap compared to other tradies, I had 3 blokes out for one day for $400, the hard part is getting the tradies to come out at all, everyone is busy this time of the year, wait times are long.

project update

Well, I'm back off to my boring desk job today, and the renovation is a long way off being complete, and is way over budget, I budgeted $30k and already spent that, I'm now thinking $50k is the likely amount, ooops, I have a habbit of underestimating costs and time to complete, chalk that up to inexperience. It is taking much longer than expected because it is just so hard to get tradies available, (2 week wait for the plasterer and painters cant start till plastering is done. Another 2 weeks wait for my plumber, and I can't install the splashbacks until pipework in walls are done, and the list goes on).

I'm still feeling positive about the project though, the house is looking much nicer with the new bathroom, laundry, toilet and kitchen, I'm starting to see my vision taking shape, and it is going to come up a treat. Plus I've had my eye on a few comparable sales nearby over the past month and some good prices have been achieved.

Hi,
Watching your experience with lots of interest - thanks for keeping reporting!

Your experience makes me wonder about the oft cited response about renovating which is to do as little as possible yourself and get professionals that you manage.
It is really hard when you're starting to reno (like me) to find good tradies - let alone professional ones!
I'm thinking that the time and cost in getting bad/avg tradies - and actually getting them to turn up and do an ok job - may be more than the cost of DIY, assuming you have some skills or ability to learn them quickly.
Now of course if you're experienced and have a network - a la Sherie Barber or others - I can see that you manage your known tradies so they produce great work even if they're just "good" - this is one of the functions of management.
What do you think based on your experience with tradies so far?

What do you think based on your experience with tradies so far?

A lot of my tradies are mates of my husbands, if they wern't friends first I think it would be near on impossible to get reliable tradies out to do a once off renovation in a realistic time frame and for a honest price.

Sorry to hear Erica. This is why it's important to not only budget accurately but have a contingency, best wishes for the rest of your project

Insurance company being rather nice to deal with, they say they will get a plumber/gas fitter out there to reinstall pipework quickly, just another $500 excess cost and my premiums will likely be a lot more next year.

Stupid me never actually got around to doing the lamp timer thing, but I sure have now, I went round after work and was there till midnight putting up blinds so no one can see in now and took lamps from home. Then took a rainwater tank that I had spare at home, round and the neighbours were nice enough to let me fill it from their garden tap so at least the plasterer can get his job done today and we can still paint over the weekend.

Fingers crossed not a third time, if it happens again I think I'll have a cry into my wine.

Back