Changes to the planning scheme in Vic has commenced

Well, Glen Eira is the first cab off the rank. Changes to their planning scheme begins next week (15th). Basically what this means is that any applications received after this date will be based upon the scheme (see attachment). Height restrictions, rear setbacks and the number of dwellings allowed are the big ones.

I expect other councils to follow suit pretty soon. These changes will be more significant in the well to do areas e.g. Boroondara, Whitehorse etc. If you have a block to develop it may be best to get started and submit to council sooner rather than later, especially if you are in a standard residential street.

Cheers
Oscar

Attachments

• glen eira.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 381
What impact does it make?

Hi,

What impact do you think, it makes on property prices or anything related to people currently living there.

I have quite few friends who have tenanted, and bought properties in that area.

Thanks,
firstnamel

Hi,

What impact do you think, it makes on property prices or anything related to people currently living there.

I have quite few friends who have tenanted, and bought properties in that area.

Thanks,
firstnamel

Well some residents would be pleased knowing only 2 dwellings can be built near them. But really Glen Eira had this policy before this announcement. Many were able to get around it though expecially at VCAT. Until the policy is worded we won't know 100%.

Oscar

Hi Oscar

With the new changes, does it mean Glen Eira is now a no-go zone for development as I assume the number won't/hardly will stack up?

Also, will this change follow through to outer councils such as Brimbank and Whittlesea?

Hi Oscar

With the new changes, does it mean Glen Eira is now a no-go zone for development as I assume the number won't/hardly will stack up?

Also, will this change follow through to outer councils such as Brimbank and Whittlesea?

Brimbank and Whittlesea still haven't been approved by the minister. There are many councils that have now implemented the new scheme. This means any application submitted now will be assessed by the new planning scheme. Some councils recently gone through the change are Boroondara, Maroondah, Manningham and Monash.

Oscar

Can't say I am a fan of the way the new schemes are designed and also implemented. It has given the councils a massive amount of power to lock up large swathes of land that could have sensible development (i.e townhouses, 3-4 story). I agree we don't need lot's of high rises or even mid rise (10 or so stories) but I think with good design (and proper planning controls) we could use a lot of our land more efficiently than what these new controls are going to do.

Following on from Oscar's update above, had a quick squiz at the website.

Banyule, Melton and Nillumbik have their new zones in place, the following councils - not yet.

"Brimbank, Cardinia, Darebin, Frankston, Kingston, Knox, Maribyrnong, Moonee Valley, Moreland, Mornington Peninsula, Port Phillip, Stonnington, Whitehorse, Whittlesea and Yarra".

I'm actually quite surprised Kingston, Stonnington and Port Phillip have not got their new zones approved yet.

I been speaking to some of the planners in Knox.
They say they will wait until after the election to lodge their new scheme with the state government. Likely to do so in December.
Doubt anything will happen over Christmas or January for that matter. Maybe Feb or March is my bet. Mind you they been telling me that they are changing there scheme "soon" for the last 18 months.

There will be no transitional period so if you have not got a planning permit issued then they will refuse if it does not meet the new code. As a draftie I'm going to be in for a stack of fun telling clients that all the time and $ they have spent is now worth squat.... might be a good time to jump ship to a different industry and start following some of my other interests me thinks

Well, Darebin Council went through today. Hopefully more to follow soon.

Oscar

Darebin Council's Amendment C144 that was gazetted on 30 Oct only covers GRZ, GRZ1 and NRZ1 zones. It does not cover RGZ zones.

From Darebin Council's website:

"It is not proposed to apply the Residential Growth Zone (RGZ) through draft Amendment C144.

The application of the RGZ in Darebin is currently underway via two separate planning scheme amendments; Amendments C136 and C137, which apply to two key growth corridors within Darebin (St Georges Road and Plenty Road). The application of the Residential Growth Zone outside of these corridors will be subject to further work and a separate Amendment process".

So we won't know where the 4 storey or more RGZ buildings will be till later. Looks like they are concentrating RGZ buildings on St Georges Road and Plenty Road. I thought St Georges Rd and Plenty Rd are really busy roads already to get to the city, Won't having RGZ buildings down the length of St Georges and Plenty Rd cause more traffic congestion?

Station street fairfield in between Heidelberg road and the train line is another area listed as a growth zone. The proposed zoning is available as an overlay on the Darebin guide interactive map.

Back