Need access after tenant moves out

Hoping for some advice or suggestions on how we can handle this situation.

We have an IP and the tenant will be moving out on a Saturday (last day of lease). We are planning to move in and turn our current PPOR to our IP.

We want to renovate the current IP before we move and ideally would like access to the property on the Sunday (day after tenant moves out) so we can rip out the kitchen in preparation for some small building works which we want to start on the Monday.

Time is money!

Anyway our PM has told us that we can't have access as they need to do the final inspection and they can't do that until Monday.

This will push our plans back by at least a day (maybe two depending what time they do the inspection). Not happy as this means at least one (maybe two) more days of paying double mortgage payments with no tenant in either property.

Is there any way around this?
Thank you
vtt
:D

Do you care what state the property will be left in if you are going to be doing work to it? If you don't, then tell the PM not to do the outgoing inspection. Otherwise tell them to pull their finger out and do the inspection on the Friday/Saturday (who is paying them after all)?

Seems like they are only doing what is "convenient" for them and not what is in your best interest.

I'm sure they have an excuse as to why they cannot do it on Saturday but still push them to do the outgoing on Saturday or tell them that you just want to pick up the keys on Saturday and not worry about the outgoing.

You have two options.

You can forego the final inspection if you want and get access as soon as the tenant hands the keys in on Saturday.

Or, if you want to ensure the property is left in the condition it was in when rented, then you will have to follow the legislation in your state. Usually that allows the tenant to move out, then the final inspection is done. You may then have to allow the tenant to return to rectify any issues. This may delay your access.
Marg

I would be pushing the agent to do the final inspection on the Saturday or have them issue a notice to enter so that you can enter with them in the days before they leave.

If that is possible and you do the inspection yourself with the agent in the days leading up to their final day, and are happy to waive that final inspection, I'd do that. Of course, the risk then is that they leave things less clean if they know there is no final inspection and possible call back to clean again.

If you are doing a reno, this might not worry you too much.

Why not get the condition report from the pm and do the outgoing inspection yourself?

I believe (from reading this forum) that entry to the house yourself negates the onus on the tenant coming back to clean - something about not being able to prove you didn't make the mess yourself. Happy to be wrong on this point.

Even though the tenant is due to vacate on Saturday they have until close of business that day to hand the keys in. If they really want to stick to the legislation they actually have intil midnight that day (dumb I know). Your PM may not be able to do the exit unless the tenant has committed to handing keys in earlier (which can happen). If you enter the property prior to proper exit report being done then you negate any claim you may have against the tenant if the property is not to your expectations.

Contrary to common belief you do not have to nor are you obliged to offer the tenant to go back and rectify anything that is not as it should be. Once they hand the keys in the legislation acknowledges that the tenant is handing the property back in the condition they believe is satisfactory.

Depending on how much work you are going to do to the property should guide your decision. Take the risk and enter the property prior to proper exit report onus on you. Wait extra day as the exit report could be done first thing Monday morning and keys in your hands immediately after even if things are not right as long as the exit report has been done properly and correct photos taken, then you can start immediately. (safer option)

I believe (from reading this forum) that entry to the house yourself negates the onus on the tenant coming back to clean - something about not being able to prove you didn't make the mess yourself. Happy to be wrong on this point.

That's ridiculous. The same comment could be made of the pm going in to do the inspection. The pm is your representative which means they are only their on your behalf. There's no reason why you can't choose to represent yourself for the purpose of the final inspection

Take the risk and enter the property prior to proper exit report onus on you. Wait extra day as the exit report could be done first thing Monday morning and keys in your hands immediately after even if things are not right as long as the exit report has been done properly and correct photos taken, then you can start immediately. (safer option)
There is nothing in the legislation stopping the owner from conducting their own property inspection provided they follow the proper process. My investment partner just did an end of tenancy property condition report for a Melbourne property. We asked the vacating tenant to be present for the final inspection but he was unavailable. If the agent is unable to complete the final inspection on Sunday, the owner can provided they follow the proper process.

That's ridiculous. The same comment could be made of the pm going in to do the inspection. The pm is your representative which means they are only their on your behalf. There's no reason why you can't choose to represent yourself for the purpose of the final inspection

I think you are wrong on this point. Why not wait for a PM to come along and confirm before calling it ridiculous. There are a lot of things that don't make a lot of sense when you become a landlord.

Edit: Called my son who has worked as a PM. He says the owner can go in once the tenant hands in the keys, however, as an example, if there is damage and it gets to tribunal, the question will be asked of "who had access?". He said some situations it is easy to make a decision, e.g., filthy oven cannot have been made filthy by the owner in just one day. But say there are two windows smashed. Tenant can say "I left it Saturday and windows were not smashed". In these circumstances, having the PM being the one who inspects removes the problem for the landlord if the tenant claims to not have left the windows smashed.

If you want an example of ridiculous, we had tenants stop paying rent. We issued all notices as we legally had to and the day came that they had to move out by midnight. I organised for the police to meet me there at 7am next morning to ensure they were out. We were not given the keys back, and according to the law, we had no right to enter the house, or change the locks.

We did both, but legally, we were in the wrong, even though they also were in the wrong due to having damaged the house and left their crap all over the place. We still had no right to enter the house until the keys were handed in.

Thank you all... the tenants we have are good tenants but I guess you can never be too confident.

We are (begrudgingly) going to have the agent do the inspection on the Monday though we've been pushy/painful owners and asked for it to be done first thing Monday morning. We will then remove the kitchen on Monday afternoon with the builder coming on Tuesday.

vtt
:D

Back