Finding DA/CC details on ajoining properties

Can you find old planning permits/building permits (DA/CCs) on a particular property? How would you go about this?

While I have you, can you find out how many/which properties are affected by restrictive covenants (circa early 90s)?

Assuming it differs from state to state, the properties are in Vic.

Just search on your local council website under the development tab. There's no standardisation as to what is on each council's website.

Historical searches may require that you go into the council to find out and search the records with the duty planner.

Just search on your local council website under the development tab. There's no standardisation as to what is on each council's website.

Yes - Hills Shire Council in Sydney had a wonderful system that delivers each DA docs page by page by page. Each a separate document. After recent changes you can now DL a whole document except if its A1 size plans...These are still page by page by page. I suspect its done to curtail objections. Most would give up.

On a Coles shopping centre DA it took a few hours.

How long do council hold records for?

Council don't have records of restrictive covenants though do they? I wonder how I can find out which properties are affected by old covenants....I'll have a poke around on Land Vic. Really didn't want to have to pay a lawyer but might have to. Thanks for your help! :)

Covenants appear on title: you'll need to search the title of the property you're interested in. This costs about $16 per title in Victoria. It then costs a little extra to look up the covenant instrument. More info here: https://www.landata.vic.gov.au/

You can ask the local Council if any permits have been granted on a particular property. Some Councils may require you to apply for a certificate (which also costs money, of course). But often you can ring up, provide an address and they'll tell you if there's any permit granted/in the pipeline.

Great, thank you.

I was just chatting to my lawyer, it is going to be difficult to find all the properties with the restrictive covenants (so that they can be notified of my intention to get the covenant lifted) because of the wording of it.

Property history is so fascinating. The property I am looking at is in an old estate (25+ yo) and it and the immediate properties have this covenant on them. The covenant states that all properties (including parts thereof) have this covenant on them. But....

On further inspection, there are several properties from the original subdivision that no longer have restrictive covenants on them. It seems to be random. So, I think we now need to pull the titles for all (originally 20 blocks)now 28 blocks to see which ones have the covenant removed.

Not really asking for advice, just updating those interested :) (But would happily accept advice from anyone who has done this before ;))

Back