Wynnum manly brisbane

Can any brisbanites give there insights into wynnum manly area and the potential for capital growth going forward. Any changes in the area? Future development. Price growth relative to suburbs closer to cbd. Thanks

The public high schools still have quite a bad reputation. There is lot of redevelopment going on and rezoning under the new Cityplan. It has been touted for years that the area was going to explode because it is on the water but hasn't yet and can't see it in the future either. There are nice cool breezes etc but the low tide mudflats are not appealing

What's the immediate area surrounding the Plaza like in Wynnum West?

Haven't been there yet but might take a trip out to check it out in the near future.

Can any brisbanites give there insights into wynnum manly area and the potential for capital growth going forward. Any changes in the area? Future development. Price growth relative to suburbs closer to cbd. Thanks

We actually have it on our buy list, some better quality developments being built there, we believe for what you get for your money there that it is good buying.

Good luck

Wynnum west around the plaza is an old area with mostly dated houses. Across the main road there are some newer townhouses though.

From the looks of people shopping there, very multicultural/immigrant makeup, mostly working class families (blue collar and above) Not sure why but the house prices there are mostly much lower than surrounding suburbs.

Best Hot&Spicy KFC joint southside of Brisbane, consistently juicy inside and top class crunch on the outside.

It's a patchy area. I can't think of any suburb that would have a wider spread of housing/prices/residents.

Manly is mostly reasonably high SES - and higher prices.

Wynnum is patchier. Go down one street & it'll be fairly average postwar houses / working class. Go 200m up the road and it'll be a 6 bedroom mansion with water views and a Range Rover parked out the front.

You need to aim for pockets (rather than the suburb as a whole)

In Wynnum, stick to the avenues surrounding the golf course (Tamaree, Moreton, Waterview, Boxgrove) or east of Tingal Rd

In Wynnum West, stick to anything east of Wynnum Rd

I've lived here for about 8 years & in the last 12 months there has been more activity (in terms of demo + rebuilds, extensions, houses being raised, cafes/restaurants/bars opening) than I've seen before.

Not a local but we did recently purchase in Wynnum.

This was our second Brisbane purchase and had a good look at a number of areas including Logan, Margate/Redcliffe, Sunnybank and Windsor before deciding on Wynnum.

In general we liked its transport links and its closeness to employment hubs such as the City and Airport. With this and the bay it felt a bit like Sans Souci in Sydney without the same amount of through traffic and with a train line.

The area near the bay has a much nicer feel compared to the areas on the other side of the train line.

I would not expect the area to explode in price growth but expect it to be an area alway in demand by purchasers and renters. As such we are expecting good consistent growth over the next few years.

In our case we were able to get an approved dual occupancy close to the bay and train station that offered a reasonable yield.

RPI did not mention the unappealing low tide mudflats when handling the purchase for us :)

Yes, I also have 2 IP's in the area; one in Wynnum, the other in Thorneside. I've been pretty happy with the growth of the one in Wynnum - I was able to extract 64K in equity (after 1.5yrs), which will go towards my next purchase.

I think the area has gone up over the last few years, previously you could see many ~400sqm block in the mid to low 300's, now there's nothing under 300K.

In our case we were able to get an approved dual occupancy close to the bay and train station that offered a reasonable yield.

RPI did not mention the unappealing low tide mudflats when handling the purchase for us :)
Tonibell, would you mind elaborating? I was told a while ago that you couldn't do dual occ's in the region? (probably bad advice)

I think the area is a little under rated, the Wynnum Esplanade is very popular with families for its walk ways and playgrounds etc. The area is close to Manly which is much more expensive. The suburb can be divided in two areas separated by the railway line, Wynnum West is cheaper and is further from the coast.

Last edited:
Tonibell, would you mind elaborating? I was told a while ago that you couldn't do dual occ's in the region? (probably bad advice)

We spent in the 500s to get near the bay and got a place to was split into two units (sort of like a duplex). We checked the council records to see that this was approved. The gross yield is about 6% so nothing spectacular - but will allow us to hold it without any great dramas.

I think hugh72 sums things up for the area nicely.

Last edited:
The lowset that I had constructed is sitting on 6.1% gross yield, but I think it'll be hard to find high yields now considering the prices have gone up.

We bought three Ip's in late 2013 . Kingsley , Berrimah and Waterloo esplanade . Gone up somewhere between 5-10 % so far .

Most of the brisbane based somerrsoft members aren't fans of the area , but we liked it , and I've met several people from brisbane who've lived in the manly Wynnum and Brighton Sandgate area and they all really like it and would happily move back there .

The people who like it are into boats , born there or are from Sydney .The marina in manly is the biggest in the Southern Hemisphere .

Cliff

We bought three Ip's in late 2013 . Kingsley , Berrimah and Waterloo esplanade . Gone up somewhere between 5-10 % so far .

See Change,

Were they houses or townhouses you purchased back then? - there wasn't much stock on the market in those area/streets back then.

Last edited:
There seems to be a fair bit happening with high rise units going in on Bay terrace, there is a wine bar just opened and plenty of new better quAlity cafes.
The main problem with the Manly Wynnum area every time developers or someone wants to build or develop the suburb they all complain they will lose their village feel(by village feel they mean 2 dollar and vinnies shops all through the suburb)
For mine it has a centrelink in the suburb, and the professional centrelink bludgers always like to live near the centrelink.

IMO go the Northside Hendra, Wooloowin you could probably get a house for similar value to the quality housing in a wynnum manly area. You'll get good schools better socio economic people.
Manly west in the manly primary school catchment is where the value lies, 50-90k cheaper cause it's not manly but you can get into the only good public school in the area. Desirable for tenants and those parts of manly west in the manly primary school catchment seem to be on the up IMO.

Last edited:
See Change,

Were they houses or townhouses you purchased back then? - there wasn't much stock on the market in those area/streets back then.

two town houses and a unit . There wasn't a lot of choice , but we were buying between the railway and the water , but there didnt seem to be much sense of urgency from the agents . Time to look and make offers .

I note you've had some growth . We're not in the position where we looking to extract growth . What percentage increase have yu had in that period ?

cliff

The public high schools still have quite a bad reputation. There is lot of redevelopment going on and rezoning under the new Cityplan. It has been touted for years that the area was going to explode because it is on the water but hasn't yet and can't see it in the future either. There are nice cool breezes etc but the low tide mudflats are not appealing

What's your thoughts RPI for a similar pricepoint. example best suburbs for 4 bed houses in 680-850k price point in Brisbane that have good schools and future growth prospects

We bought a house in Manly West in July 2014.

The revised 2015 land valuations were issued a few weeks ago. We were 275k in 2014, now 305k. Was apparently 250k in 2013. So that's 11% in 1 year and 22% in 2 years.

Back