Subdivide in Adelaide?

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-queenstown-113541755

This place is up for auction shortly, there's a tenant already in the existing house and the block zoning is good enough for 2 houses.

In the photos, the back yard looks pretty good size to build another behind the existing. Or option 2, perhaps demo the house and build 2 side by side?

The house looks in decent nick. If any of you guys are local or familiar with the area what do you think it'll go for? Looks like its on a pretty short/direct route to the CBD too.

Queens town

Lived in Adelaide all my life. Port Adelaide area is 20 years away minimum from been anything like Glenelg, Fremantle etc etc. At the moment it is a dump Imop. Semaphore is the only shining light maybe!! Know quite a few people who have lost many $$$ on Port Quay etc and they are out now and saying it is the best money they ever lost as they have cut their losses before it gets worse. Go for a walk thru Port Mall and tell me what u see. Queenstown next suburb!

Hi dtraeger2k,

I've just had a quick online look and it seems that this property is not suitable for a hammerhead stlyle development (building a new dwelling in the back yard leaving the existing house in place.)

Have a good read of the City of Port Adelaide Enfield Council development plan (go to www.planning.sa.gov.au, and click on the online development plans tab) this will outline what can and can't be done in the zone, particuarly see page 60 - battleaxe or hammerhead allotments must be a minimum of 450m square excluding the driveway.

That policy area does however allow for 250m square min allotment sizes for individual allotments with street frontage. Medium density development encouraged to replace old stock of poor quality (see page 401). If your intention would be to demolish and build 2 townhouses, I'd suggest you give the council chambers a call and ask to speak to a town planner who could let you know if it would meet the minimum frontage requirements, rear setbacks, minimum private open space etc etc.

(disclaimer: do not take as advice, always do your own due dilligance!)

Lived in Adelaide all my life. Port Adelaide area is 20 years away minimum from been anything like Glenelg, Fremantle etc etc. At the moment it is a dump Imop. Semaphore is the only shining light maybe!! Know quite a few people who have lost many $$$ on Port Quay etc and they are out now and saying it is the best money they ever lost as they have cut their losses before it gets worse. Go for a walk thru Port Mall and tell me what u see. Queenstown next suburb!

Very harsh comments re Port Adelaide. I've lived in many places in SA and Interstate and Port Adelaide is not as bad as many people in Adelaide would have you believe. Unfortunately Port Adelaide's bad reputation comes from it's football team and the hatred the rest of Adelaide has for it. For interstaters and mature people in Adelaide they realise that it is only 10km from the CBD and 5km from fantastic beaches. It also has plenty of shops, schools and medical centres / hospital in the area.

As far as crime goes; western adelaide is far better and safer than the north, north eastern and southern suburbs.

And if your still not sure about the Port Adelaide area and you value the opinion of those immature South Australians that hate the area...just ask them what they think of West Lakes?

West Lakes backs onto Queenstown that backs onto Port Adelaide.

Very harsh comments re Port Adelaide. I've lived in many places in SA and Interstate and Port Adelaide is not as bad as many people in Adelaide would have you believe. Unfortunately Port Adelaide's bad reputation comes from it's football team and the hatred the rest of Adelaide has for it. For interstaters and mature people in Adelaide they realise that it is only 10km from the CBD and 5km from fantastic beaches. It also has plenty of shops, schools and medical centres / hospital in the area.

As far as crime goes; western adelaide is far better and safer than the north, north eastern and southern suburbs.

And if your still not sure about the Port Adelaide area and you value the opinion of those immature South Australians that hate the area...just ask them what they think of West Lakes?

West Lakes backs onto Queenstown that backs onto Port Adelaide.

Ya. When I lived in Adelaide I lived in Queenstown and worked in West Lakes, 2 minutes down the road. It isnt a bad area at all.

Back