Granny Flats and Section 94 Contributions Explained

$18,000???
Are you sure? The last one we did (mind you it was like March 2013) at Hornsby was round $5,000.

Brazen.

P.S. Council's are bound by a code of conduct on S94 Contributions so if this is correct I need to make some calls (again)...

seems like it

http://www.hornsby.nsw.gov.au/property/planning-legislation/section-94-contributions

Current Section 94 Development Contributions Plan

The Hornsby Shire Council Section 94 Development Contributions Plan 2012 - 2021 came into force on 5 September 2013. The S94 Plan applies to all new residential and commercial development including subdivision, new dwellings, seniors housing (excluding residential care facilities), retail premises, business and office premises. The plan applies to residential accommodation which includes attached dwellings, dual occupancies, and secondary dwellings (granny flats).

seems like it

http://www.hornsby.nsw.gov.au/property/planning-legislation/section-94-contributions

Current Section 94 Development Contributions Plan

The Hornsby Shire Council Section 94 Development Contributions Plan 2012 - 2021 came into force on 5 September 2013. The S94 Plan applies to all new residential and commercial development including subdivision, new dwellings, seniors housing (excluding residential care facilities), retail premises, business and office premises. The plan applies to residential accommodation which includes attached dwellings, dual occupancies, and secondary dwellings (granny flats).

Yeap. I just spead-read the entire document and as of now, Hornsby Council want around $18,000 per granny flat for Section 94 Contributions. wow!

Thats 20% of the development cost! What a JOKE. I'm going to go and pee on my foot.

Brazen.

$18,000???
Are you sure? The last one we did (mind you it was like March 2013) at Hornsby was round $5,000.

Brazen.

P.S. Council's are bound by a code of conduct on S94 Contributions so if this is correct I need to make some calls (again)...

Re-confirmed this with Hornsby council and the thieving B....rds want $17,500 flat rate applicable since last Thursday. Councillors decision!

Re-confirmed this with Hornsby council and the thieving B....rds want $17,500 flat rate applicable since last Thursday. Councillors decision!

Far out.
I remember when Byron Council charged around $20,000 per bedroom but they have since removed Section 94 Contributions on granny flats.

Gosford were pretty hefty too but they changed the policy to remove secondary dwellings from the levy.

I am afraid. The fact that Council's can just impose these huge fees willy-nilly is scary as hell.

I note that the majority of NSW Council's DO NOT charge the fee at all and many have exemptions in place for cost of works under $100,000.

Brazen.

Far out.
I remember when Byron Council charged around $20,000 per bedroom but they have since removed Section 94 Contributions on granny flats.

Gosford were pretty hefty too but they changed the policy to remove secondary dwellings from the levy.

I am afraid. The fact that Council's can just impose these huge fees willy-nilly is scary as hell.

I note that the majority of NSW Council's DO NOT charge the fee at all and many have exemptions in place for cost of works under $100,000.

Brazen.

I think our State Government should stop Councils from doing a lot of what they do when it comes to imposing fees, charges and fines. Councillors are not generally suitable for making financial decisions, and really only there by default and for their own ego and financial opportunity. The voting public cannot make sound voting judgements with the system as it exists. The Local Government Act is out of balance with the fundamentals of State and Federal law.

Consequent to Hornsby Council imposing a stupid amount like this I flicked an email off to NSW Planning taking issue with claims made in the document "Supporting Affordable Rental Housing – Granny Flats"
http://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=eCNg9MQW0UU=&tabid=315

More pressure needs to be placed on elected members of parliament to stop the nonsense councils get up to!

Hi Phil,

Been there and done all of that. The Dept of Councils exists outside the jurasdictive reach of any other Government agency. The Dept of Planning hate these fees as much as we do- they just can't do anything to stop it.

State MP Rev. Nile has been quoted as saying the fees are a money grab on what should be 'Affordable Housing' but even he states that the current system blocks him from acting. The Local Government Act is a body unto itself.

The best way is to lobby your local member, especially if your proposed granny flat is for an aged family member.

Wake up Hornsby!

Brazen.

now I feel much better paying $5000 for Blacktown hearing Hornsby now charging 3-4 times that amount :D

I was thinking how and when will this GF fashion fade away. I guess it's when Council take in their own hands and whack $20,000 to the build, and the numbers is not appealing to investor anymore...

now I feel much better paying $5000 for Blacktown hearing Hornsby now charging 3-4 times that amount :D

I was thinking how and when will this GF fashion fade away. I guess it's when Council take in their own hands and whack $20,000 to the build, and the numbers is not appealing to investor anymore...

Well said Rich. What on Earth is going on when the entire premise of secondary dwellings is to supply much needed "affordable rental housing" to the masses??

I would gladly pay that $20,000 in S94 contributions if it meant it was a free pass for me to do anything (provided the private certifier would pass it) and council would tell any complainers to simply go back to the hole they crawled from.

I would gladly pay that $20,000 in S94 contributions if it meant it was a free pass for me to do anything (provided the private certifier would pass it) and council would tell any complainers to simply go back to the hole they crawled from.

I lol'd.
I feel like marcing into the Hornsby CC GM's office and offering him a granny flat approval service:

"That'll be $20,000 for me to get started, sir".

We should petition to SEPP to get more involved, else remove "affordable" from their brochures...

heh. Well, the 'SEPP people" are the "NSW Department Of Planning" and they have nothing to do with the imposition of these fees. If you want to complain, contact your Local Member or the Minister of Planning (NSW Government). I have a few times but it takes more than one person :(

Section-94 Contributions are monitored by the Minister for Planning in NSW Government, so you can send him a letter as well.

At the end of the day, Council's (currently) have the freedom to charge a maximum of $20,000 for residential development of any kind.

For granny flats, some Council's (e.g. Bankstown where I live) charge $0. Many others charge nothing as well, but about 30% of them charge around $5,000.

Hornsby Council have gone broken arrow on us all!

It's horrible.

Brazen.

Last edited:
Hi Brazen,

just out my curiosity, how do you find out how much council charge for the section 94 for each council ? is there any website to find out all the councils' charge ? or do we need to call council individually to find out how much each council charge ?

Regards,
Taylor

Hi Brazen,

just out my curiosity, how do you find out how much council charge for the section 94 for each council ? is there any website to find out all the councils' charge ? or do we need to call council individually to find out how much each council charge ?

Regards,
Taylor

Hi Taylor,

There's no 'single website' which lists what each Council charge, if that's how you mean. I've tried to keep a record but they change their policy and fees from time to time, so that just makes it even harder.

You can Google your Council's policy, sit down and read it but that takes a long time- 80+ pages to read.

You can ring them but this is pretty unreliable. You can seriously talk to two different people on 2 different days and get two different amounts. They'll often say you need to pay it, but you don't. Frustrating!

Best way is to call 3 different days + check online. I'm aware of most fees at any one time but like Hornsby the other day, they will often change and I'm none the wiser until someone tells me.

It truelly sux.

I see.

I thought I was getting wrong information. because when I call Penrith 1 day, they tell me one amount. but after a couple of days later, a friend of my call Penrith council, he gets different answers from council.

the amount is around $3000 difference, I thought it might because of the design and FSR or other factor makes the contribution fee varies.

Thank you for your reply.

Regards,
Taylor

Latest S96 charges in NSW?

Just bumping this thread to what's happening to S94 charges for NSW for Granny Flat, such as which council waived or increase/decrease
As far as I know:
Wyong decrease to ~$8k
Liverpool remains $0
Hornsby increase to ~$18k

Just bumping this thread to what's happening to S94 charges for NSW for Granny Flat, such as which council waived or increase/decrease
As far as I know:
Wyong decrease to ~$8k
Liverpool remains $0
Hornsby increase to ~$18k

Yea that's a bout right as we speak Rich but in saying that, Council's have the right to change their Section 94 Contributions without noticed to ANYONE but themselves.

Serge.

Hornsby Council

The local paper for Hornsby dated 27/2/2014 p.5 has noted that the council agreed in its February meeting to reduce s94 contributions for granny flats. The rate should now be 9-10000- still ridiculous.

The local paper for Hornsby dated 27/2/2014 p.5 has noted that the council agreed in its February meeting to reduce s94 contributions for granny flats. The rate should now be 9-10000- still ridiculous.

$9,000 is better than $18,900.
The fee (according to a legal source) can be challenged but who has the time and money to do it?

Brazen.

I just received a call from a Hornsby Shire resident and he confirmed that Hornsby Shire Council have officially reduced their Section-94 Contributions to $9,000.

I haven't reads the policy yet but I'm taking his word for it.

Has anyone heard this and can confirm please?

Brazen.

Back