Adding external brick layer to granny flat?

Adding external brick veneer layer to existing external 100 timber frame wall?

Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to add an external brick wall layer to an existing 100 external wall? If so, does it need a new approval (in NSW)? Also, how much roughly am I looking at?

Anyone done something similar like to share their experience too?

Thanks

Last edited:
For aesthetics and thermal performance. It feels hotter in the room with single layer timber frame external wall compare to another room in double brick.

Brick veneer like you're suggesting is pretty rubbish for thermal performance, reverse brick veneer is a much smarter solution but doing it retrospectively will be difficult and make your place feel smaller.

Brick veneer like you're suggesting is pretty rubbish for thermal performance, reverse brick veneer is a much smarter solution but doing it retrospectively will be difficult and make your place feel smaller.

The 60sqm limit for a granny flat include external wall, so I am wondering if I can get around that doing it retrospectively.

The 60sqm limit for a granny flat include external wall, so I am wondering if I can get around that doing it retrospectively.

The issue here is you're trying to solve 2 problems and the solution is actually bad for one of those 2 issues, ie thermal performance.

In summer those bricks will heat up and radiate heat into the granny flat. You can help it somewhat with insulation but it isn't a great solution ultimately. It also isn't going g to be cheap.

Have you considered some of the insulated cladding options out there like koolwall etc? I haven't used it myself but it could be an option

Back