Marrickville - Opinions please

Best place to live in Sydney i reckon.

hey evand, slightly off topic, but wondering what your thoughts are on investment potential for units in the suburbs you've listed =)

why is ashfield so much cheaper than its neighboring suburbs croydon & summer hill (units)?

how does ashfield rate on the gentrification scale?

What exactly are you looking for in Marrickville? What price range? Any particular area of Marrickville?

Information as to is it a safe area to live, general info, noise information (where can we find the flight path stuff? im having difficult finding out the times planes go across that area)

The area in question is Sydenham Road and north of it...

Yes its safe, plenty of families with small kids. I suppose safety is a relative term tho. I would have no problems with Redfern where it mights care the pants off you and your partner. But, yes, Marrickville is very safe.

If you like the mix of ethnic and gentrification (i love it) of a suburb on the move then you will love Marrickville.

The food/restaurants within a 10km radius would have to be the best and widest choice of nationalities in Australia i would dare to suggest.

It is truly amazing the quality and choices you have around there. Dead set foodies heaven.

Lebanese, Turkish, Vietnamese, Portuguese, Spanish, Chinese, Thai, African, Carribean, Italian, it goes on and on. And all pretty much run by migrants from these countries. Authentic and cheap and great quality.

Its not too bad regarding the flight path if you stay away from the Tempe side of Marrickville.

You dont need the times planes go over. There is a curfew between 11pm and 6 am.

Why do you need the actual flight times?

Best thing is to spend some time in the area and check out the planes.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/aviation/environmental/transparent_noise/expanding/2.aspx#3

Plenty of info online regarding flight paths.

I think pretty much the whole inner west is great for long term investment. (capital growth wise anyway, yield is crap and has been for ages but will improve)

I'm talking here about the true inner west (not the rubbery agents descriptions).

Summer Hill is pricey because its a trendy little village scene with cafes etc and nice free standing houses and semis. Great for couples and small families on decent incomes who want to be 'close' to the city.

Having its own train station right next to the village doesnt hurt either.

I think Ashfield is cheaper as its a bit further out (i'm not sure if its true inner west) and closer to Canterbury, Campsie etc) but it might be on the way up as well as people are eventually priced out of Marrickville etc.

All this is just my opinion, remember, research, research.

hey evand, slightly off topic, but wondering what your thoughts are on investment potential for units in the suburbs you've listed =)

why is ashfield so much cheaper than its neighboring suburbs croydon & summer hill (units)?

how does ashfield rate on the gentrification scale?

Thanks evand, i really appreicate the feedback. Do you feel the flats, towards enmore (Sydenham Road) are the areas that tend to be the worse parts? I know the hill area around Warren Road is the best area...

I'm not sure. I like the whole inner west and don't see a problem with any of it.

Enmore/St Peters is a little more grungy (if you know what i mean) Enmore is known as a goth area, there's punks etc. sort of like the old Newtown before the yuppies moved in.

The houses/blocks tend to be smaller than other parts of Marrickville tho as its older. Its all personal choice to fit your particular circumstances. (kids, future requirements etc)

Depreciator would be better to answer your question as he lives in the area and has a more micro knowledge (particular streets etc) than i do.

Thanks evand, i really appreicate the feedback. Do you feel the flats, towards enmore (Sydenham Road) are the areas that tend to be the worse parts? I know the hill area around Warren Road is the best area...

Kris PMd me.
I'm going to check out those streets for her.
Shouldn't be too much plane noise there. Close to a great primary school, if that's of any interest.
A bit far from the station - 15 minute walk.
Parking would be okay, though.
Five years ago there were parts of Marrickville that I was nervous walking through, but it's changed a fair bit recently. Of course, there are back lanes in any suburb that it's a bit silly to wander down at night. (I do tell my out of area friends when they are coming to visit that they should bring a gun if they have one - just to make them feel a bit edgy.)
Scott

lol Scott! And there hasn't been a shooting in years! hehe

We sat inside the place as a few planes went over, for us having never been exposed to it we went 'OH!!!' but im sure over time we would get used to it.

I also think you can combat it a bit with roof insulation and double glazing if thats that big of a concern!

I bought a 1 br in August last year in Warren Rd, with a view to renting it out, but actually really enjoy living here so have stayed after my 6 months (FHBG)...top food and great cafes (Danas and Kelbys) and very cheap Vietnamese food. Aircraft noise not too bad, but I work at the airport so doesnt bother me! Just bought a 2br unit a couple of blocks away, would buy another if I had the cash

There would be more plane noise down where Kris is looking because they get some noise from planes landing there. Still not as bad as Tempe, Sydneham and parts of Leichhardt. In Warren Road you would get some takeoff noise, but with the noise sharing regime it's only the occiasional plane.

Well, we apparently exchange contracts at 9am this morning! fingers crossed

walked around the area last night, looks good and has a decent feel to is.

:)

Stayed for about an hour, only 1 747 jet had alot of of noise, the other two smaller twin engine planes weren't as bad..

That's great, Kris.
Nearest cafe to you would be The Marrickville Road cafe - best coffee on the strip I reckon.
If there were only 3 planes in an hour, they must have been take-offs i.e. you're under the landing flight path. And planes now take off so steeply that they don't make much noise when they get to Marickville. Except for that big plane that flies over most nights around 10pm. I have no idea what it is, but it always sounds like it's straining: 'I think I can, I think I can....'

Well no exchange so far, apparently family illness. I'm told this afternoon

Ha! I think i can :D I'm not too fussed about the planes really..

Yep, is that the older building near the Post office? that place looks quite nice for a Saturday morning brekky...

Fingers crossed we exchange, Im dying to celebrate!!!

How did the exchange go? I never heard of a family illness stopping an exchange. Surely theres someone else in the office to go.

Its all been done :) We exchanged, cooling off period finishes tomorrow, bank valuation all done and on the mark!

I'm a bit unsure about Marrickville. I have a mother living in church run retirement accommodation there and have been visiting for the last 12 years. The restaurants are good value, good bakeries and food prices are cheap (butchers and seafood stores). The discount seafood outlet (Faros Bros) in nearby Sydenham is great value. There is also a cheap jean outlet (Levi's) in a factory area of south Marrickville and the Bond's T-shirt factory outlet in Sydenham.

It just seems a bit depressing in places. I've often seen antisocial conduct on the train station. Maybe its my own outlook on the suburb as I hate seeing my mother in this type of accommodation.

I lived in Redfern a while back. It had more issues then than Marrickville and was probably not as safe a suburb. Parts of Redfern are quickly moving upmarket. I presume Marrickville will as well as it too has some good residential areas.

Last edited:
Back